Gifts for Novia's family

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
I looking for gifts for my chica's family and her 6 year old daughter? What are inexpensive gifts that would be good for the family? I know liquors for the males.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Well, you can get her six year old daughter a doll or better yet buy her a book. Is this your first time meeting her parents? If so, I would not buy them anything until the second gathering. Get to know them first.:) No reason for gifts just yet.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
First time meeting the parents. Yea I was thinking a doll but why a book? I mean if they need books I will bring some but is that a need? I guess a couple of bottles of liquor will do for the parents. I'm American by the way if that matters.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
First time meeting the parents. Yea I was thinking a doll but why a book? I mean if they need books I will bring some but is that a need? I guess a couple of bottles of liquor will do for the parents. I'm American by the way if that matters.
You should know what gifts to buy, your Rick James bi..h:laugh:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If they live in Santiago, just give me the name of the area they live in and I'll suggest an appropriate gift.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
She just said Santiago. Didn't know there was parts to it. I will ask her when she wakes up. I'm guessing not the rich parts. Thanks

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
You give very little background, but generally

No gifts, do not set a precedent so early if never.

The exception would be the GF's daughter, yes a doll for a 6 year old should be apropriate and nothing wrong with that.

g'luck

Aug 6, 2006
Everyone likes photos. Bring your digital camera and take a bunch of them. A small photo album or frames to put them in would not cost much. If you are in the US, photo frames and albums are easy to find really cheap in thrift shops.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Vick Vapor Rub for the mother....... Colored pencils for the kid....... Johny Black for the dad.... And new Nikes for the guy she tells you is her cousin..........

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I looking for gifts for my chica's family and her 6 year old daughter? What are inexpensive gifts that would be good for the family? I know liquors for the males.

Pretend you are in the States and meeting your girlfriend's family for the first time. Would you take gifts for everyone in that case? I would guess no, with the exception of the little girl, so don't do any differently just because you are somewhere else. You can be respectful of other's culture without losing your own. And in this case there is only one small difference. Do you think a Dominican male loads up and brings gifts to everyone the first time he meets the family of his novia?

Take an appropriate hostess gift based on whether or not you are going for a meal or going to stay in the house and leave it at that.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I agree with the posters that say no gifts except for the little girl. More than likely they will be asking you to buy them stuff soon enough. If you know spanish i would suggest playing dumb, and when they ask for stuff play dumber.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Bring the daughter a gift. a toy and something educational. Bringing the family gifts will only get you a family that expects gifts from you each time they see you....not a good precedence to set...

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
eek, I agree with the others: don't bring gifts for the family. Unfortunately gifts aren't always appreciated in the same way as they would be in the US - and if you show up as Santa Claus on your first visit, you will always be seen as Santa Claus. A nice host/hostess gift (IF you are having dinner or staying with them) should be simple. A LITTLE present for the child would be okay -- I'm sure the book was suggested because while cheaply made toys are available, the idea of an educational toy, like a book, is unheard of...and yet desperately needed.

I've been married to a dominican man for quite awhile and have been blown away by the treatment of children in the country. He and a friend actually laughed at the fact that I would talk TO a newborn. Why would you bother talking directly to the child when she can't talk back? Well, WE know why - so she learns to talk herself, so she feels safe, so she learns our voices, so she learns how to communicate, etc etc. THAT's why a nice book is a great gift idea...because we recognize the benefits of it, even if sometimes the family might not...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If you feel like you need to bring something, bring the family a package of coffee. The for sure will appreciate it (but it has to be Santo Domingo or they will not use it). :) Good Luck!

May 12, 2005
I think you are getting in over your head here and might need one of these;

life-preserver-vector-52171.jpg

How long have you known this woman? Where in Santiago is she from? Does she have a job? Does or did she go to university? Does she have a bank account? You don't need to bring anything other than maybe a small gift for the child. Don't become a victim of false charity. The family and your chica survived before you came along and will survive after you are gone. If they are a truly honorable family, no matter how poor, they won't ask or expect anything from you.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Give your gf a beautiful pair of earrings, a necklace or a nice purse. These are things most women like, plus you don?t need to know her size to get it right. Shoes, lingerie, perfume, clothes, etc. can be tricky for someone you haven?t been with for long.
For her daughter, a stuffed animal, a toy laptop, or coloring books and crayons. If you do want to bring something for the parents, bring them a nice box of chocolates.

Something to keep in mind: Keep it light! The more stuff you bring the first time, the more you will be expected to bring later.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Love the username RJ dos mil LOL!!! Don't let another adult tell you how to conduct yourself as an adult. If you want to buy gifts then by all means buy everything, but you are not thinking of buying a Porsche or anything like that????

I have a little girl almost the same age and I bought her a " Doc Mcstuffins" doll and tee shirts and she loves The Doc. Doc Mcstuffins is the new Dora. If you live close to a Disney store or a Toys R US they should have her whole line.

You can buy really nice things that won't break the budget. Like the mom you can buy some nice perfume and the father you can buy him a MLB baseball tee shirt of the city you are from or close to.

For your novia I will leave it up to you LOL!!! You can buy all this stuff for around 75USD or cheaper depending on where you go. I would go to a perfume outlet store or order it online. Yeah you can order everything online.

DON'T buy NADA!!!! in the Dominican Republic because everything is doubled buy all your goodies in the states.

BTW I will be in the DR next week and I will start this weekend on buying friends and family gifts that I will bring down and I have to return with 3 bottles of Brugal for my daughter's grandfather because he has a bar in his basement and he is out of Dominican rum because he and his friends drink like its no tomorrow. I do not know who drink more Mexican males or Dominican
males both can put them back LOL!!!

Nothing wrong with buying people GIFTS. Some people on the planet think a gift should be EARNED which defeat the whole purpose of a gift.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Love the username RJ dos mil LOL!!! Don't let another adult tell you how to conduct yourself as an adult. If you want to buy gifts then by all means buy everything, but you are not thinking of buying a Porsche or anything like that????

I have a little girl almost the same age and I bought her a " Doc Mcstuffins" doll and tee shirts and she loves The Doc. Doc Mcstuffins is the new Dora. If you live close to a Disney store or a Toys R US they should have her whole line.

You can buy really nice things that won't break the budget. Like the mom you can buy some nice perfume and the father you can buy him a MLB baseball tee shirt of the city you are from or close to.

For your novia I will leave it up to you LOL!!! You can buy all this stuff for around 75USD or cheaper depending on where you go. I would go to a perfume outlet store or order it online. Yeah you can order everything online.

DON'T buy NADA!!!! in the Dominican Republic because everything is doubled buy all your goodies in the states.

BTW I will be in the DR next week and I will start this weekend on buying friends and family gifts that I will bring down and I have to return with 3 bottles of Brugal for my daughter's grandfather because he has a bar in his basement and he is out of Dominican rum because he and his friends drink like its no tomorrow. I do not know who drink more Mexican males or Dominican
males both can put them back LOL!!!

Nothing wrong with buying people GIFTS. Some people on the planet think a gift should be EARNED which defeat the whole purpose of a gift.

i have never even contemplated the idea of buying gifts for people whom i have never met. how does that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.