Chrysler car prices - all the good DR-CAFTA has not done..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just got an ad from REID & COMPA?IA, C. por A., who must be the Chrysler dealer here in the DR.

These are the starting at prices they sent followed by a US List starting price

Durango DR US $54,000 - US list price $30,790

Jeep Grand Cherokee DR US $51,000 - US list price $31,790

Jeep Wrangler DR US $55,000 - US list price $23,390

(sell prices in the US were lower than the list prices)

Isn't it great for what DR-CAFTA has done for US made cars?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i want this explained. how come that in the USA wrangler is cheaper than grand cherokee and in DR is is more expensive?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i want this explained. how come that in the USA wrangler is cheaper than grand cherokee and in DR is is more expensive?

Could be several reasons. It could be a different model is for sale here other than the base model. Or they just set the price where they want to here based upon the taxes and profit they want to make.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've been considering a Grand Cherokee lately.... have had great success in NoAmerica with them.

Any comments on their performance here? Should be good, I see some on SuperCarros.

My imported 2005 Wrangler Unlimited is still kicking at 56,000 miles.... very durable

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my FIL bought grand cherokee last year. followed by a tundra because it looks like jeep does not do all that well in the farm.

Jan 9, 2004
I just got an ad from REID & COMPA?IA, C. por A., who must be the Chrysler dealer here in the DR.

These are the starting at prices they sent followed by a US List starting price

Durango DR US $54,000 - US list price $30,790

(sell prices in the US were lower than the list prices)

Isn't it great for what DR-CAFTA has done for US made cars?

18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, freight, insurance, port charges, dealer markup, gas guzzler tax, etc., all calculated off MSRP.

How naive of us to think they would/could actually forego those now disguised import taxes. After tourism, exports and remittances, the importation of vehicles/ewquipment is one of the largest sources of revenue for the government.

Remember a large percentage who buy/receive those vehicles do so with government money anyway.....so they do not feel the effects of the taxes financially.....just the benefits.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, freight, insurance, port charges, dealer markup, gas guzzler tax, etc., all calculated off MSRP.

How naive of us to think they would/could actually forego those now disguised import taxes. After tourism, exports and remittances, the importation of vehicles/ewquipment is one of the largest sources of revenue for the government.

Remember a large percentage who buy/receive those vehicles do so with government money anyway.....so they do not feel the effects of the taxes financially.....just the benefits.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I actually pointed this very situation out to a US official in charge of DR-CAFTA enforcement. I am sure they just let it slide.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my FIL bought grand cherokee last year. followed by a tundra because it looks like jeep does not do all that well in the farm.

They advertise them as 'off road' vehicles but I doubt they are true 'trucks'..... wannabe trucks which is what most consumers want.

As a farm vehicle, I suspect there are better choices

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Do those same 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa apply to car imports from all countries?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Comon Winde you never expected anything out of DR Cafta. You are too slick to be fooled that easily.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy- what country were thinking of that would be exempt from a placa fee? or the incoming tax?

We should all buy there..... maybe an amphicar that we could drive up to the beach somewhere?? and toodle on down the road.....

Kidding, just kidding.........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy- what country were thinking of that would be exempt from a placa fee? or the incoming tax?

We should all buy there..... maybe an amphicar that we could drive up to the beach somewhere?? and toodle on down the road.....

Kidding, just kidding.........

I understand it does not work out that US cars got any cheaper after DR-CAFTA, but just wanted to see the reasons why elaborated upon.

If all cars see the same import taxes/duties/fees then the playing field should be even for any country despite the prices being exorbitant from all of them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see the 'playing field' as level and am confounded as to how DR-CAFTA didn't help with pricing.

I still maintain that one can import economically...... however, there advantages to buying an RD car... imported originally to RD

No matter what - it hits the old pocketbook to buy either one:(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my neighbour here is a Quebecois....... brought in a Hummer.......... cost him $60k

Nuts, if you ask me..... (you didn't)

Jan 9, 2004
I understand it does not work out that US cars got any cheaper after DR-CAFTA, but just wanted to see the reasons why elaborated upon.

If all cars see the same import taxes/duties/fees then the playing field should be even for any country despite the prices being exorbitant from all of them.

Windeguy:

I was told that non-DR/Cafta vehicles pay an additional tax. It cannot be that large.....or no one would bring in, for example, Japanese cars produced in Japan.

FYI, they can be identified by looking at the first letter of the VIN (J).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
my neighbour here is a Quebecois....... brought in a Hummer.......... cost him $60k

Nuts, if you ask me..... (you didn't)

Absolutely nuts....even if you have money.

I take it that the 60k was dollars.....CDN or US?

Do you know what year the Hummer is?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, dollars....at the time the Cdn/US rate was close so it doesn't matter much, costwise.

Nope, don't know the year, but I bet its pretty new.... I see it regularly.... smallish woman driving it.... odd, very odd sight when steps out of it.
Like a midget with a Great Dane.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
WHY?
In a word,"GREED"!
AND, don't even think about "Cash Back","Incentives", and ESPECIALLY, an interest rate you can live with!
Imagine a dealer who undercut his competition by 25%?
He would put them out of business!
But, Sadly, his competitors would put HIM,..."Out Of Business"! :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC