Leaded & Unleaded Gas in DR???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday we went to San Cristobal to the agro-veterinaria to buy some salves and food for the dogs. Mr. AE parked outside, in a lot attached to an Isla gas station, I stayed in the car.

As I sat there, my eyes were drawn to the pricing sign: sin plomo, 250+ and regular, 235+. With nothing else to think about, my brain kicked into gear, and I wanted to know why only one said 'sin plomo'. In the US, ALL the gas is 'sin plomo', and we've been putting 'regular' gas into our Venza the past month, as we did in NJ.

Mr. AE returns, and I ask him about it, and he assumes it's like the US. We're below a half a tank, so we decide to pull up to a pump, and Mr. AE asks the attendant which gas is unleaded. He tells us "premium". Mr. AE specifically asks about the regular, and is told it has lead. We filled the tank with premium.

A couple of questions to you knowledgable car guys out there in DR-land.

1. Is this true - does DR regular gas have lead in it?
2. If it does, could we have done damage to our car by using it?
3. We've probably gone through 3-4 full tanks of gas, at this point, should we put some sort of additive into the tank? Almost half the gas currently in the tank is presumably leaded.
4. Am I worrying about nothing?

He had noticed the car was running 'different'. We had an oil change a few days ago, with Mobil 1, and he noticed it ran better afterwards.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yesterday we went to San Cristobal to the agro-veterinaria to buy some salves and food for the dogs. Mr. AE parked outside, in a lot attached to an Isla gas station, I stayed in the car.

As I sat there, my eyes were drawn to the pricing sign: sin plomo, 250+ and regular, 235+. With nothing else to think about, my brain kicked into gear, and I wanted to know why only one said 'sin plomo'. In the US, ALL the gas is 'sin plomo', and we've been putting 'regular' gas into our Venza the past month, as we did in NJ.

Mr. AE returns, and I ask him about it, and he assumes it's like the US. We're below a half a tank, so we decide to pull up to a pump, and Mr. AE asks the attendant which gas is unleaded. He tells us "premium". Mr. AE specifically asks about the regular, and is told it has lead. We filled the tank with premium.

A couple of questions to you knowledgable car guys out there in DR-land.

1. Is this true - does DR regular gas have lead in it?
2. If it does, could we have done damage to our car by using it?
3. We've probably gone through 3-4 full tanks of gas, at this point, should we put some sort of additive into the tank? Almost half the gas currently in the tank is presumably leaded.
4. Am I worrying about nothing?

He had noticed the car was running 'different'. We had an oil change a few days ago, with Mobil 1, and he noticed it ran better afterwards.

i presume that your car still has the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. put leaded gas, say bye-bye to cat.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i presume that your car still has the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. put leaded gas, say bye-bye to cat.

I've had cars with bad catalytic converters, I know the smell. Nothing like that.

Do you know if regular gas here is definitely leaded??

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Leaded gas has has not been sold anywhere in a long time. The DR imports all its gas and its all unleaded.you can relax, your catalytic converter is safe. Gas Station attendants are one of the worst sources of information of any kind.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
youmay get a 'check engine' warning.... I have a code reader b/c I got it so often...... it will be warning that the gas is weak/thin... the Cat Converter hates this stuff.

I use half regular , half premium and get no more warnings.

You can remove the converter if you want

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks to all of the guys who responded - this is what makes DR1ers the BEST. My mind is at ease. Thank you, gracias, grazie & danke sch?n

Aug 6, 2006
I do not think that leaded gas has been on sale in the US for a really long time. I doubt that a car as new as a Venza would require leaded gasoline. As for labels on the pumps in both the US and the DR, that has nothing to do with what the pump is dispensing. It depends on how much the station owner cares about accuracy. In the US, mislabeling a pump might get a rebuke from the authorities in some states. In the DR, the label is likely to outlast the pump.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I do not think that leaded gas has been on sale in the US for a really long time. I doubt that a car as new as a Venza would require leaded gasoline. As for labels on the pumps in both the US and the DR, that has nothing to do with what the pump is dispensing. It depends on how much the station owner cares about accuracy. In the US, mislabeling a pump might get a rebuke from the authorities in some states. In the DR, the label is likely to outlast the pump.

We're in DR, not the USA. The car requires unleaded gas, which is why I was concerned about the possibility that we had used leaded without knowing it. Seems my fears were groundless.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
never get gas at the new sunix gasstation between sosua and charamicos i put 2000 unleaded in my porsche and it took 10 minutos for the engine to start failing and knocking !!!!

after that i put another 2000 in at another gasstation and it went away.

easy solution if you have bad quality fuel or put regular instead of premium is to buy an OCTANE BOOSTER i just bought one at la sirena yesterday for 120rd wich improves the fuel quality

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Octane Booster was what I did first.... before I figured out that it is easier and cheaper to augment the regular w/ premium......achieving the same effect.

Plus, oftentimes the station had no booster

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
As we all know, higher octane gas burns cooler than lower octane hence its use in higher performance engines. Most every day cars are designed to run on the lower 87 octane stuff. Wife says she was told that in D.R. the regular is cut with something that results in an even lower rating and I should buy premium in D.R. to get the equivalent of 87 in U.S. Sounds like nonsense to me and I think she is wasting money on premium when the gas filler door clearly says use unleaded 87 octane. Comments ? ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As we all know, higher octane gas burns cooler than lower octane hence its use in higher performance engines. Most every day cars are designed to run on the lower 87 octane stuff. Wife says she was told that in D.R. the regular is cut with something that results in an even lower rating and I should buy premium in D.R. to get the equivalent of 87 in U.S. Sounds like nonsense to me and I think she is wasting money on premium when the gas filler door clearly says use unleaded 87 octane. Comments ? ?

A lot of Dominicans agree with her. Mr. AE's brother says he only uses premium in DR "because premium in DR is like regular in the US"

Aug 6, 2006
I think the rule is that you put the car in second or third and climb a hill. If the engine knocks, you need a higher octane rating. If not, higher octane gasoline would be a waste of money.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No question the RD gas is lower grade than US/Can...... and varies from company to company.
If possible, I use my local Texacos as often as possible.... on other fills, I can get a knock.... yes, at ISLA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my FIL had a gas station here in DR for many years. i understand that DR sells (or should be selling) unleaded petrol since 2000 or so.

for my car i use premium only. i was told to and i am an obedient wife. i don't ask why.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hubby has a friend on the gas business who told him it's all the same. Used to put premium in my Picanto, changed 5 mo ths ago to regular and have not noticed any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure that it all comes out of the same bucket anyway.
A rose by any other name maybe....

Mine's a diesel and hates anything but Shell. No idea why as I bet it comes in on the barge with the rest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hubby has a friend on the gas business who told him it's all the same. Used to put premium in my Picanto, changed 5 mo ths ago to regular and have not noticed any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure.....my 50/50 blend of reg/premium has eliminated my Check Engine light.....
I'm sticking with it

When I check it, it reads lean mixture or something like that.............

The day I don't check it will be the time it reads "Your engine will fall out in 5 miles"..... and I'll curse not checking the check engine light.

Chequear , chequear.......