Shipping large box from RI to SD

Apr 13, 2011
I know that there are some other members who are from RI.
Is there a way to do Encargo or similar shipping out of RI to Santo Domingo?
(I remember someone posting pictures of large boxes that they shipped for $75 each...)

Fedex is obviously to expensive an option.
USPS is a little bit better in price, but not a lot - and not as reliable once it gets to the DR Postal System.

But I do not want to drive to NYC to be able to use the services that people have mentioned in NYC.

Is there a shipping company that has good rates that will work with me out of RI?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've used Embarque Bella Vista for decades, and they have an office in Providence:

Address: 590 Cranston St, Providence, RI 02907, United States
Phone:(401) 272-0054

Apr 13, 2011
We've used Embarque Bella Vista for decades, and they have an office in Providence:

Address: 590 Cranston St, Providence, RI 02907, United States
Phone:(401) 272-0054

That's great! Thank you for the reply! How were they priced? Pretty good? Most of the items are pretty basic - though I do have an older cell phone (iphone over two years old) that I would also like to include in the box - should I be worried about that?

Apr 13, 2011
and - is Embarque Bella Vista the type of company that does door-to-door? Or does it need to be picked up at the office in SD?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They do door-to-door anywhere in DR. You give them a DR phone #, and they call the day before to tell you when they're delivering.

They give us the boxes, if you use their boxes we pay $75 each or 3 for $200 out of NJ/NY, I assume the same from there

When they ask you what's in the box, just put down "household items", used clothes, etc. Put the more valuable stuff at the bottom of the box.

There is no weight limit, it goes by ship, so it's the box dimension they're concerned with.

Jan 9, 2004
That's great! Thank you for the reply! How were they priced? Pretty good? Most of the items are pretty basic - though I do have an older cell phone (iphone over two years old) that I would also like to include in the box - should I be worried about that?

Probably not.....but they do x-ray the boxes for contraband, so the cell phone might be discovered and you might have to pay an additional duty.

The operative word is might.

If you are going down....take it with you. I regularly go through customs with two phones a tablet and laptop. Never a problem.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Apr 13, 2011
OK - thank you very much for the answers (all answers).
One more question - you said it goes by ship, so what should I expect for a lead time before delivery? 2 weeks, 3 weeks???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK - thank you very much for the answers (all answers).
One more question - you said it goes by ship, so what should I expect for a lead time before delivery? 2 weeks, 3 weeks???

Usually 3-4 weeks to Santo Domingo/south coast. The only time I've seen it faster is during December.

Their ships come into Puerto Plata, so people up there get theirs faster.