our search of plants and flowers

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When I discovered the dr and my wife's house I thought #1the country side is so green #2 the house much less so.
The conuco was full of platanos and guandules.
2 years ago I deceided it was time to start a garden. Built borders along the walls. Lots of block, lots of ciment, lots, lots of earth.
Under my balcony a big ciment surface. Broke it all up, by hand, filled with earth, by hand.
And of course lots of big pots.

Anyway today I was reflecting on how fast stuff gows here!!!
I think we went once to a "vivero", to buy some plants. All the rest have been collected on our trips in the dr.
Basically when we drive around, if we spot a plant or tree or flower that we like, we pull over, knock on the gate and ask the owner for a "ramito" or a root ( depending on the plant ). We have never been turned down!!!!
We have plants from la "ligna", from our countryside of course, from cabarate, from POP, from santiago, from bavaro, from samana, from bavaro, from jabaccoa and constanza........ even from my mother's garden in france ( brought in suitcase....)

When we get back home we just stick the ramo/root in the ground and water. 2 times out of 3 it grows again!!!!

Anyway I was going through a thread on dr1, someone was saying there was not a lot of flowers.......
We have lots of colors, shapes, sizes. Roses, orchids, cayenna....... loads I couldnt put a name too.

When we ask people for a piece of plant, they are always happy in the intrest we are giving their garden. People make u coffee, take u to relatives who have a special flower or tree.... very good way to meet lots of diffrent people.( and if I was single it would be a great way of meeting nice looking girls......).

The point of the thread. None, other than pointing out one of the positive apects of my life in the dr.

So if ever I happen to knock on ure gate, please dont set the dogs on me!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree, we have a number of plants collected the same way. We also have a great resource, the teachers and students at the school. Many of them live in the campo or have access to plants and flowers. One mention that you like white flowers, or any particular plant and usually within a few days we have one, gratis of course. We get a lot of fruits and vegetables as well, but never ask for those. My mother-in-law gives lots of plant starters away as well. I have a trinitaria with purple flowers that is growing great and it was started with a cutting that I took from the Catholic seminary in Moca.
I have a large solar that we plan on turning into a large garden of fruit trees and flowering plants, when we can find the time.
Gardening is a super hobby.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, some people have "green fingers"? i have the opposite of that. fingers of death :( cannot get anything to grow here. my parents must be ashamed as they have a big garden at home and grow all kinds of stuff there.

anyways, malko, don't you live in some campo close to POP? pass by my house one day and i will give you a sampling of a lemon tree, yellow lemon. still in a small pot on the kitchen window, there are several trees there but i do not even know how to separate them :(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not to worry D.

Some people work in obstetrics, birthing - and others work in funeral homes, burying.

Everyone has a calling.........:ermm:

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Thanks dv8!! Just back from POP today, in carro publico......
Had to go to main office of claro to cancel a contract ( I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.....).
Happily got to go past "meeting place " for some english books.

My wife managed to fill a plastic bag with plants and flowers from like 3 diffrent gardens!!!!

I have actually divided conuco ( outside of walls, garden inside ) into 3parts.
The "original" conuco ie platanos, lots of them ( I hate them too!! But not as much as claro), guineo, guandule, yucca
The "old part" planted like 6 years ago. Avocado, mango aranja, mandarine, pomegrant, chinola, lemon, lime. All coming on well but not at full yield yet. But more than enough for us.
The "new" conuco, a garden with path (well trying ), kiosk and loads of plants and flowers. Started last year and looking good!!!

It is great to sit down and read surrounded by green!!! Kind of helps pretending u cant hear the music!!!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I am kind of new to this stuff, sorry......
If it is what I am thinking of, kind of thin tree looking, lots of flowers ( pink or purple or red sometimes yellow or white ).
If I am correct it is a tree u see often in front gardens here in the dr, liked because it flowers all year round.

I have one of each colour, that we let to grow "natrually ", it spreads out a lot, branches going everywhere a bit like a bush. They are 1 year and bit old, so fast growth.....
Then I cut a branch off and plant where I want, prune so they grow tall. Against the wall has been the best result so far ( tall and lots of flowers ).
I also have some where I use a tutor ( sometimes I tie it to the tutor ).
If I am not mistaken the flowers grow on the last year wood ( personal observation, I dont know if it is true......), so Iam careful not to prune too much......

Sorry no photos since my internet is demaciado slow..... sorry not to be much of a help but we are kind of "testing " gardners, for the life of me I couldnt name 95% of the flowers and plants we have!!!!!