Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Worse Than I Thought!

In today's "Diario Libre" it says that the DR only has 75% of it's students finish the 8th. grade!
    I would like to know how many finish high school????
    No wonder no one can count to 20 without taking their shoes off!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

2. Likes Rattus_Rattus, jinty05 liked this post
    Dislikes jaiallen disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Progress is made in small steps. When we first came to the island the benchmark was grade 4.

5. Likes Africaida, mofongoloco liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A lady at a client asked me yesterday: cuantas libras de ese material van en una tonelada métrica?

The same person once asked me: where does that material come from? - from Europe. - ah ok! Que país, Canadá?

7. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    A lady at a client asked me yesterday: cuantas libras de ese material van en una tonelada métrica?

The same person once asked me: where does that material come from? - from Europe. - ah ok! Que país, Canadá?
    Threads like these are why I take extended vacations from DR1, they eventually turn into a bunch of people taking cheap shots on dominicans.

It's obvious we have a long way to go in improving our education for our youth and the fact that it's being acknowledged is a step forward in itself. I get so ****ed off when I see a 14-15 year old just sitting around all day because he doesn't want to go to school anymore. If I had that liberty when I was that age I would probably be a lazy POS now and I thank God I didn't. I used to think the phenomenon of ditching school early was a campo/poor mentality but I've realized it's a problem in many dominicans that live in big cities also. I live in a middle class neighborhood and there's a bunch of neighborhood high school aged kids just sitting around on street corners most days and it's embarassing. I go out of my way to comment on how that mentality guarantees a ****ty future but I don't think it gets through to them very well.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I blogged on education about 18 months ago.

What about your saucepans?: Education in the Dominican Republic

It is good to see that things seem to be improving - at least on the full day attendance in some places.

Matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"The First Step In Solving A "Problemo", is to Recognize That You Have A "Problemo"!!!!!!!
    I don't expect you to like any posts critical of the DR, after all, you are a "Dominican", and you can NEVER accept criticism of ANY kind!
    If You Are Not Part Of The "Solucion", You Are Part Of The "Problemo"!!!
    Next time you are on a "DR1 Vacation", mentor a grade school drop out!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NOW, report this post to a moderator, As Usual!!!!!!!!

PS, be like Matilda, "Part Of The Solution" to "Problemos" here in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Criss Colon; 02-22-2014 at 11:09 AM.

11. Dislikes jaiallen disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

To be a part of a solution you must first state the problem and then state what you are doing to help improve the solution. Talking about it and ridiculing only creates disdain, discord, dislike and puts a rift between Dominicans and foreigners living in the DR.

The way you talk and treat Dominicans is the same way that you will be treated by Dominicans.
    There are lots of Dominicans who visit the site and are taking notice of what transpires. Next
    time you post about how Dominicans behave towards foreigners think about how foreigners behave towards Dominicans.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the faults in the country as long as it's not being done to belittle but to offer solutions.

Like I mentioned before the DR will move at its own pace. No amount of talking is going to accelerate the process.

When a baby is starting to crawl you don't try and force the baby to walk. Instead you leave it
    alone and in due time it will get up and walk. Does anyone try and ridicule the baby for not being able to get up and walk? Think about the DR in this way.

It is at the "crawling stage". It is moving forward but not at the pace that you want it to.
    Last edited by bronzeallspice; 02-22-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This "Baby" doesn't want to "crawl"!
    AND, I'm done trying to HELP!
    It's up to them now!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

14. Likes JayinRD, pelaut liked this post
    Dislikes jaiallen disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be a law whereby kids must attend school up to 17/18.

16. Likes bonao99 liked this post
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast