It's Worse Than I Thought!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In today's "Diario Libre" it says that the DR only has 75% of it's students finish the 8th. grade!
I would like to know how many finish high school????
No wonder no one can count to 20 without taking their shoes off!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Progress is made in small steps. When we first came to the island the benchmark was grade 4.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A lady at a client asked me yesterday: cuantas libras de ese material van en una tonelada m?trica?

The same person once asked me: where does that material come from? - from Europe. - ah ok! Que pa?s, Canad??

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A lady at a client asked me yesterday: cuantas libras de ese material van en una tonelada m?trica?

The same person once asked me: where does that material come from? - from Europe. - ah ok! Que pa?s, Canad??

Threads like these are why I take extended vacations from DR1, they eventually turn into a bunch of people taking cheap shots on dominicans.

It's obvious we have a long way to go in improving our education for our youth and the fact that it's being acknowledged is a step forward in itself. I get so ****ed off when I see a 14-15 year old just sitting around all day because he doesn't want to go to school anymore. If I had that liberty when I was that age I would probably be a lazy POS now and I thank God I didn't. I used to think the phenomenon of ditching school early was a campo/poor mentality but I've realized it's a problem in many dominicans that live in big cities also. I live in a middle class neighborhood and there's a bunch of neighborhood high school aged kids just sitting around on street corners most days and it's embarassing. I go out of my way to comment on how that mentality guarantees a ****ty future but I don't think it gets through to them very well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The First Step In Solving A "Problemo", is to Recognize That You Have A "Problemo"!!!!!!!
I don't expect you to like any posts critical of the DR, after all, you are a "Dominican", and you can NEVER accept criticism of ANY kind!
If You Are Not Part Of The "Solucion", You Are Part Of The "Problemo"!!!
Next time you are on a "DR1 Vacation", mentor a grade school drop out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NOW, report this post to a moderator, As Usual!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS, be like Matilda, "Part Of The Solution" to "Problemos" here in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
To be a part of a solution you must first state the problem and then state what you are doing to help improve the solution. Talking about it and ridiculing only creates disdain, discord, dislike and puts a rift between Dominicans and foreigners living in the DR.

The way you talk and treat Dominicans is the same way that you will be treated by Dominicans.
There are lots of Dominicans who visit the site and are taking notice of what transpires. Next
time you post about how Dominicans behave towards foreigners think about how foreigners behave towards Dominicans.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the faults in the country as long as it's not being done to belittle but to offer solutions.

Like I mentioned before the DR will move at its own pace. No amount of talking is going to accelerate the process.

When a baby is starting to crawl you don't try and force the baby to walk. Instead you leave it
alone and in due time it will get up and walk. Does anyone try and ridicule the baby for not being able to get up and walk? Think about the DR in this way.

It is at the "crawling stage". It is moving forward but not at the pace that you want it to.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
When a baby is starting to crawl you don't try and force the baby to walk. Instead you leave it alone and in due time
it will get up and walk. Does anyone try and ridicule the baby for not being able to get up and walk? Think about the

No, but most anybody will take baby's hands and help her up and to start walking, but not scream at her because she is too stupid to walk.
Der Fish

Exactly. Most will hold the baby's hand and ONLY when it's ready will it walk.

If a person has offered solutions then let it go and leave it alone. Ridiculing will only do more harm than good.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The TRUTH Will Set You FREE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bomber pilots have a saying,...."If you ain't catching any "Flak", you ain't over the target"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"More "Flak" Please"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
"The First Step In Solving A "Problemo", is to Recognize That You Have A "Problemo"!!!!!!!
I don't expect you to like any posts critical of the DR, after all, you are a "Dominican", and you can NEVER accept criticism of ANY kind!
If You Are Not Part Of The "Solucion", You Are Part Of The "Problemo"!!!
Next time you are on a "DR1 Vacation", mentor a grade school drop out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, be like Matilda, "Part Of The Solution" to "Problemos" here in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

Progressing slowly while the rest of the world is rapidly changing doesn't move you forward instead, it takes you 1 step forward and two steps back.
This island has the economic means to invest much more in it's future than it currently does but an attitude change is the first step. A revolutionary attitude change.
In many poor countries, holding the equivalent of a H.S diploma gets you in the door to an entry level job, sending a signal that education is worth something. Here, MORE than in those countries its who you know and not what you know.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In many poor countries, holding the equivalent of a H.S diploma gets you in the door to an entry level job, sending a signal that education is worth something. Here, MORE than in those countries its who you know and not what you know.
That has to be one of the main reasons why social mobility here is so limited and so many young people are not encouraged to study, as confirmed by the WB report quoted in Friday's DR1 news:
The DR Equity Assessment Overview report says that social mobility in the DR is low, with less than 2% of the population moving up, compared to 41% in the region.

ThunderPants

Feb 8, 2014
Threads like these are why I take extended vacations from DR1, they eventually turn into a bunch of people taking cheap shots on dominicans.

It's obvious we have a long way to go in improving our education for our youth and the fact that it's being acknowledged is a step forward in itself. I get so ****ed off when I see a 14-15 year old just sitting around all day because he doesn't want to go to school anymore. If I had that liberty when I was that age I would probably be a lazy POS now and I thank God I didn't. I used to think the phenomenon of ditching school early was a campo/poor mentality but I've realized it's a problem in many dominicans that live in big cities also. I live in a middle class neighborhood and there's a bunch of neighborhood high school aged kids just sitting around on street corners most days and it's embarassing. I go out of my way to comment on how that mentality guarantees a ****ty future but I don't think it gets through to them very well.

The worst part is that if you try to push back at all, especially if you make them look bad, they just declare it off topic and delete the thread.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That has to be one of the main reasons why social mobility here is so limited and so many young people are not encouraged to study, as confirmed by the WB report quoted in Friday's DR1 news:

social mobility, and economic mobility, are very limited phenomena here , because of the severe levels of class segregation in the DR. i have noticed that there are places here that locals do not enter, because they appear to have this notion that they do not belong there. i went to a rather upper crusty boarding school in my youth, but it also had a very fair share of kids from the poorest of households. good luck trying to find Belkis from Los Alcarrizo at Carol Morgan. the riquito kids would complain to daddy that they do not wish to sit beside the hoi polloi in the same classroom.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If the high school graduation rate is about 75% I would say that's pretty good. By comparison in The US the high school graduation rate fluctuates by state from a high of 88% for Iowa to a low of 59% for The District of Columbia. In general most states fall around the mid 70's range just like The DR. High School Graduation Rates by State

There will always be a percentage of the population for whom the typical education track is just not an appeal. This is why you should have alternatives like trade schools, etc...which actually The DR does have some.

I'm not as concerned with the high school graduation rate as I am with the quality of those graduating. I can tell you just by looking at my nephews that most are relatively functional illiterates, including some who are attending college. For instance they cannot spell worth a damn even though Spanish is one of the easiest languages to spell as, unlike English, it's spelled the same way it always sounds.

IMO if The DR wants to get to next level (This applies to The US somewhat as well) major emphasis MUST be put on early childhood education. A child who starts with a very good foundation will not need a lot handholding later on. This is found consistently in those countries considered the most educated in the world.

The increase of the education budget (The 4%) went mostly to paying teachers a higher salary sometimes a 100% increase. While I don't disagree that teachers were being very underpaid, raising their salaries does not do a lot to advance education. I would have liked to see some of that money spent in further education for those teachers especially those in early education. If it was my choice I would encourage every teacher to get a master degree in education (Paid for by the state) and of course that should come with a raise. You can't teach well if you are not well prepared yourself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
SUARZEN it's the "grade school" graduation that we are talking about!
Forget about high school!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
lF YOU WANT THE DR'S KIDS TO GET A GOOD EDUCATION, YOU HAVE TO START WITH QUALIFIED TEACHERS.
And they don't have very many of those!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
SUARZEN it's the "grade school" graduation that we are talking about!
Forget about high school!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
lF YOU WANT THE DR'S KIDS TO GET A GOOD EDUCATION, YOU HAVE TO START WITH QUALIFIED TEACHERS.
And they don't have very many of those!!!!!

MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A CHILD'S education takes place it their homes.
Like that's gonna happen here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008

I personally find it so frustrating when in the UK they have free education available to all kids up to the age of 16, they don't want to go, they would rather drop out and then go on benefits.. we in the UK have done a complete turn around. However, there are those in Asia, Africa etc., who are just dying to get to school, they almost fight each other in competing as to who has the best marks for exams, they walk miles to get to school etc. such an in-equilibrium around the world.

The majority of humanity are lazy and will always seek the 'easy way out' but in the end, they lose and they only see that when it is too late to do anything about it (if they even want to see it at all)