Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    major point, about workmanship. look at every gate in POP, and they are all rotting along the joints of metal. maybe the salt in the air has something in it, but why would you not have a guy in the US do it?

    Dominican workmen have their own particular way of doing things. i brought in a direct current power supply from Colorado, and took it to a "tecnico" to solder the power mains inlet, and the dc out tap. there are four terminals that have to be strapped, and i told him, several times, that it is critical for regulation. well, he just ignored me, and did it his way. before i paid him, i demanded that he put the voltmeter on it, across the dc. sure enough, it was fluctuating. guys here do things just well enough to get them to work, nothing more.
    I have looooong investigated this. This particular job is a totally "custom" design, where no prefab parts (typically from India) are used. It's all "bent" and built based on a custom "artistic" design. It's all interior. Several swung stairs etc. IF we had this done in the US... near Palm Beach, this job would have cost us over $50K... it would thus not have been possible. Here? A fraction. Yes it's often excruciatingly difficult to work with locals. I had to personally supervise the erection of a repro-frame to re-create the actual situation in Palm Beach, upon which all the art work has to be built. This particular team at least TRIES to make it happen, which is usually a major hurdle the often fail here.
    We will take delivery of it, un-treated (no orange paint). It will be sandblasted and then zinc plate in West Palm.

    I would not recommend this adventure to most people, so I understand other poster's warnings and take no exception.

    Back to the subject at hand:

    Based on above posts (thanks), I have found the following companies which I will now contact:

    La Rosa Del Monte
    www.hispaniolafreight.com
    Caribetrans, S.A.S

    posted here for further reference.

    Thanks! ... J-D.

  2. #12
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    J-D
    I can't speak to the 3rd one but the other two are stalwarts...... Rosa del Monte by reputation, Hispaniola from experience.

    At Hispaniola, ask if Wendoline de Pena is still there..... very helpful.

    good luck

  3. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
  4. #13
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    I have looooong investigated this. This particular job is a totally "custom" design, where no prefab parts (typically from India) are used. It's all "bent" and built based on a custom "artistic" design. It's all interior. Several swung stairs etc. IF we had this done in the US... near Palm Beach, this job would have cost us over $50K... it would thus not have been possible. Here? A fraction. Yes it's often excruciatingly difficult to work with locals. I had to personally supervise the erection of a repro-frame to re-create the actual situation in Palm Beach, upon which all the art work has to be built. This particular team at least TRIES to make it happen, which is usually a major hurdle the often fail here.
    We will take delivery of it, un-treated (no orange paint). It will be sandblasted and then zinc plate in West Palm.

    I would not recommend this adventure to most people, so I understand other poster's warnings and take no exception.

    Back to the subject at hand:

    Based on above posts (thanks), I have found the following companies which I will now contact:

    La Rosa Del Monte
    www.hispaniolafreight.com
    Caribetrans, S.A.S

    posted here for further reference.

    Thanks! ... J-D.
    would love to see pics of this steel extravaganza, please!

    g'luck

  5. #14
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donluis99 View Post
    would love to see pics of this steel extravaganza, please!

    g'luck
    I will gladly post when it's done, good or bad.
    I get some updates and it seems promising.

    I have called and subsequently e-mailed all the suggested transportation companies and a few which were suggested privately... a total of 6.
    So far, only Rosa Del Monte has not only called back, but maintained a fluid communication.

    1 out of 6! About the typical National hit and miss rate...

    For a struggling country, one thing that never ceases to amaze me, is their unwillingness to be be professional from the very beginning. Maybe an explanation for all the ruins littering the landscape.

    I'll keep updating when there's some PROGRESS.

    Thanks! ... J-D.

  6. Likes ctrob liked this post
  7. #15
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't that peculiar about Rosa del Monte.....their website infers a very professional company.

    Live and learn......

  8. #16
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I realize Rosa del Monte is the only one communicating with you J D - just be aware that they have a terrible reputation in NJ/PA area. People we know shipped things that either never arrived, or arrived 3-4 months late. We wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole.

    Forewarned/forearmed and all that rot......

    Administrator
    DR1.com

  9. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
  10. #17
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Isn't that peculiar about Rosa del Monte.....their website infers a very professional company.

    Live and learn......
    Thanks AE for correcting me... I read it wrong and thought all responded EXCEPT Rosa del Monte

    I haven't used them.....

  11. #18
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry I left this unanswered so long.
    MISSION COMPLETED! And successfully!

    The railings have been delivered, well made from Santiago to West Palm Beach and are currently being sandblasted locally and prepared to be powder coated here in Florida.

    After writing to 9 shipping companies of which only about 4 answered we chose ShiPack in Santo Dominga, since they answered back intelligently and also came highly recommended by a Dominican business partner of mine.

    They were the most expensive quote. Almost 100% higher than the lowest we got. But they asked the correct questions and offered something which seemed to make sense. It's not the first time I ship across waters either.
    The deal was Door-to-Door all export and import inclusive (except for any US customs duty which were ZERO as they managed to make the case that this was a CAFTA item (MADE in the DR).
    While the transaction took some time (document filings in the DR mostly), we were extremely pleased with the outcome and the communication during the whole process.

    Here is their contact:

    Srta. Merlin Martin

    SHIPACK, Consolidators, Srl

    C/Pablo Pumarol #05,
    Los Prados, Santo Domingo, R.D

    Tel: 809-732-2122
    Cel. 829-760-6962
    Fax: 809-565-5035

    Email: [email protected]

    International Phone: (305)396-4112

    www.shipackrd.com


    Thanks to all for the input, warnings and suggestions!

    ... J-D.

  12. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
  13. #19
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good to know JD.... you promised pics when all complete.

    another follow-up we need is dv8 on her US visa....
    her thread was closed.... maybe she'll start it again??

  14. #20
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have the railings sent to sand blast and powder coat these days.
    I'll post pictures once it's all done and installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •