Abandoned projects in the DR.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
There are quite a few that I know of and many can be seen on Google Earth.

Bridges over the Bajabonico and Isabela rivers on DR-29 heading towards La Isabela from Mamey

The cruce de Montellano bypass on Rte. 5 between Sousua and Puerto Plata. Concrete was actually poured for the beginnings of the in the 1960's only for the project to be abandoned when the workers found out that the Trujillos had left and there would be no more pay.

The Hermanas Mirabal extension and the part of the Circunvalaci?n Norte from Villa Gonzales to Ave. Tamboril in Santiago.

The Gran Hotel Cibao, which AFAIK is not simply abandoned but tied up in an unsolvable probate mess.

Does anyone else know of any other abandoned projects like these in the DR?

/"I said, to the people of the Philippines whence I came, I shall return. Tonight, I repeat those words: I shall return!"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are raising my blood pressure here. all my life in poland i lived in small apartments and i shared room with my brother. our entire family lived on 41 square meters. so i feel sudden pangs of anger when i see wasted and abandoned buildings. less so bublic projects. there is this massive structure right in the middle of santiago, opposite the monument. it was supposed to be a conference center? now it's an empty, unfinished shell...

in POP there are many abandoned buildings, mainly private houses and hotels. but there are also remains of the construction of overpasses along the road to sosua. i think there was supposed to be a road bypassing POP, maybe? and in sosua itself we have, of course this nasty shell of a former hotel at the street lights in charamicos, and another abandoned resort in puerto chiqito (i am sure i got the name of the project wrong but you wll know what i'm talking about, you can see it from the beach).

in SD there is a torre right on the malecon, on one of the corners. also abandoned for decades.

f**k private ownership and property rights. the government should be able to repossess it, destroy the structure and sell the land. some people are little wasteful f**kers.

i'll see myself out now, you touched a subject that pi**es me off to no end :(

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Yes, this is in fact true - and wow, DV8 never seen you so mad... totally understand why as well.

Here in PC I have to say that land is at such a premium that there isn't that much that is left abandoned. However, having said that there are shells of houses around the place and that is generally because the private land owner has run out of money. But to see public money wasted by starting a project and then wasted even further by someone not developing it to the end is such a shame. Wish I could wave my magic wand...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well DV8 the problem is equal with public or private projects. When the money runs dry the building stops.

bob, i know. this is normal. but it's not normal to leave the shell of a structure standing for 20 years. if the money runs out and you know you will not have more sell as soon as possible. because after a certain time there is nothing left but to tear the construction apart and start from zero. and that adds money to final costs. but no. private owners hold on to those projects and only want to sell 20 years later. and they dare to say: "solar con mejora". what "mejora", you dumbass? it's "peora" now!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The eyesore of the malecon in Santo Domingo are the two abandoned high rise buildings on the malecon at maximo gomez. No work has been done on these two buildings for at least five years that I know of. The cranes sit atop of the buildings doing nothing day in and day out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When DV8 gets pi$$rd off she is great!
The building in Sto Dgo was supposed to be a hotel, but the foundation gave away and it shifted and is now not usable for habitation. Yes, It should be torn down.

The Santiago By-pass is now open from the Duarte Highway at the intersection of the Hispanoamericana Ave all the way to the Joaquin Balaguer highway just before Villa Gonzalez..On Saturday, the cloverleaf was not quite finished but the road was open to traffic. It is a toll road BTW.

The other stuff I am not so sure about.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When DV8 gets pi$$rd off she is great!
The building in Sto Dgo was supposed to be a hotel, but the foundation gave away and it shifted and is now not usable for habitation. Yes, It should be torn down.

The Santiago By-pass is now open from the Duarte Highway at the intersection of the Hispanoamericana Ave all the way to the Joaquin Balaguer highway just before Villa Gonzalez..On Saturday, the cloverleaf was not quite finished but the road was open to traffic. It is a toll road BTW.

The other stuff I am not so sure about.

HB

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Dollars to doughnuts: The so-called "private sector" projects were really money laundering or other scams promoted with the cooperation of banks and public 'botellas'.

Real investors with their own hard-earned money never, repeat, never throw it away.
If you think they do, you just don't know the facts under the covers, or the money wasn't hard-earned.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In the PC area there is Roco Key, Punta Perla, Rio Bonito and about half of Bavaro. Most of these are real estate scams that screwed investors out of millions. Not to sound negative but its things like this that are scaring away new money

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of those big buildings on the malecon had to stop construction when they realized that a main beam in the center of the building was missing and it was too late to add it. It's so long ago that I'm not sure when - 10 or 15 years??? And there it still sits, prime real estate, useless and falling apart.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
there are also remains of the construction of overpasses along the road to sosua. i think there was supposed to be a road bypassing POP, maybe?

This is what I was talking about originally; there was a north coast expressway being built between POP and Sosua in the early 60's. When the workers heard Trujillo was dead they stopped work and left.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Hahahaha, Check out the history of South Florida and the boom and bust cycles t goes thru every couple of decades. Half built projects sitting there fora few years until they get bought out once again and someone new starts to rebuild. I spent 28 years there and have pics of such.
Der Fish

I was raised there. I know. My comments apply precisely to them too. The money was scammed or not earned hard enough.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I took this photo of this abandoned building on the Malecon in 2005. I thought there could have been less expensive ways to promote Presidente Nuevo Litro

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A famous one is the big hole at the corner of JFK and Lope De Vega (I think) avenues in Santo Domingo. Not sure if true, but I heard that they started building and then the real owner showed up and years later is tied up in legal battles. Talk about prime real state...

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
It should be possible to take legal actions against somebody, who just abandon a property. Finished or half finished - after some years it looks terrible.. Imagine to be a neighbor to a property, that somebody just left for whatever a reason… Costambar - close to Puerto Plata - is a good example. In this area there are quite a few completely abandoned houses.. How many years have to pass until the Authorities can take it and put it out for a “subasta” - or is that never possible? There must be some kind of a law to avoid situations like that or houses like that will stay ugly for a hundred years..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just hate hate hate the waste. there is a building in POP, on calle bosch that was abandoned for years. every time we went past it i said to miesposo i would love to live there and buy it. it was worse and worse every year. and bam, this tear someone bought it and put a restaurant there. i went to see it and my jaw dropped, stunning. it was fully renovated and brought back to its full glory.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
abandoned projects

I am very surprised no one mentioned a major source of these abandoned projects all over the country - - money laundering. Forget about the abandoned structures for a second. What possible explanation other than money laundering is there for the frantic pace of new construction where so much other new commercial and residential real estate is unoccupied? It is fueled by dirty money that becomes clean after changing hands between construction companies, cement factories, lawyers, and government functionaries.

i just hate hate hate the waste. there is a building in POP, on calle bosch that was abandoned for years. every time we went past it i said to miesposo i would love to live there and buy it. it was worse and worse every year. and bam, this tear someone bought it and put a restaurant there. i went to see it and my jaw dropped, stunning. it was fully renovated and brought back to its full glory.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I love the 'boulevard of broken dreams' as I call it along the Atlantic coast after Nagua.

Miles and miles of forgotten and abandoned dreams....
Magnificent.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
...and in sosua itself we have, of course this nasty shell of a former hotel at the street lights in charamicos, and another abandoned resort in puerto chiqito (i am sure i got the name of the project wrong but you wll know what i'm talking about, you can see it from the beach).

Yesss I know the one in Charamicos you refer to. It is very nasty and ominous.

I could totally see it in one of those reality shows where they dare people to stay overnite...(just got goosebumps)