Playero sold to Santiago firm??

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
A reliable source tells me Supermercado Playero is sold or is being sold to a company from Santiago. Anybody else hear anything similar? Maybe the upcoming competition from Super Pola is a daunting prospect.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tough to go against Pola/Sirena but Bravo does a good job and so does Nacional/Cuesta

It might be a big benefit for Sos?a's buying public.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think playero will note lower sales but will not be forced out. pola is pretty basic, playero has lots of imported products, both european and american. they will still have clientele. in POP jose luis survived the arrival of la sirena and is doing quite well. it all depends on the management and their flexibility. jose luis extended working hours and started bringing more foreign goods. the owner is there every day.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
A reliable source tells me Supermercado Playero is sold or is being sold to a company from Santiago. Anybody else hear anything similar? Maybe the upcoming competition from Super Pola is a daunting prospect.

the daily good news !! if it's true

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
First thought is it is not a good thing.
Playero's management has had a mentality of offering a variety of imported items that are practically impossible to find nearby.

If owners from Santiago bring the same mentality that most local supermarkets have, we will have very few imported items and a lot of selections of rice, platanos, and low quality meats.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think Nacional in STI has it..... could be wrong

Horseradish has disappeared.... from my radar
Anybody know if it can be bought anywhere??

Aug 21, 2007
At times the German Bakery in Sosua has horseradish. It is the kind of thing that when you finally find it, you buy lots and lots!

Lindsey

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
At the German Bakery, if they have it, the bottle is labeled "Meerrettich". My second supplier is Amazon, Atomic Horseradish - Extra Hot - "3 Pack " - (6 Oz Jars) for about US$16.50.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playero had it all the time.... they told me the importing/labeling rules had changed and it was hard to impossible to bring in until the supplier 'upped' their game

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have to be honest and say that I do really like the variety that Playero has to offer and although many items are way over priced the thing that still bugs me the most is their customer service. Now, I definitely do not expect to be treated like a King when I am buying groceries, but I do expect to be treated as a valued customer, just as ANYONE that walks through their doors. That is where it al falls apart for me. There are the few in there that will bend over backwards to help, but many of them just do not care and when there is an issue, you are guaranteed that the client is NEVER right. None of them have ever been trained in how to assist customers and how to resolve problems. Just last week I went to the Deli to get my favorite Swiss cheese for lunch. I asked them for a certain quantity and the price on the cheese is labeled 295 pesos per pound. They gave me the cheese and on their label the price was at 345 pesos per pound. I told the person that the price is incorrect and told him to look at the price per pound on the big slab of cheese and then look at the price on my cheese. He looked at it, gave the cheese back to me and said the price on your cheese is the price. I said that this was not right and his response was, that is the price and we would never change it!!! I am like, WTF? I buy this cheese from the same guy 3 times a week and that was his response. I gave the cheese back and he just shrugged and gave me the "I don't care" look. This is where La Pola will stand out the most as they have excellent staff training. I personally much prefer to shop in a location where I know that if there is an issue that it will be resolved in a friendly manner.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I spoke with one of the owners and there is no plan to sell Playero. Rather, they are focusing on increasing the selection of interesting and healthy products, as was requested by posters in a thread some time ago.

The owner had read this thread and was sorry to learn about tee's experience with the Swiss cheese, agreeing it should have been handled better.

There is training for the employees, but as in any organization where you are employing g a large number of people with limited education and experience not all perform in every instance as well as the manager expects and desires. I am certain that Pola and all the rest don't get through any day without problems created by employees not performing as well as they should.

Finally, the owner requested, tee, that should something like this happen again, please take the problem to one of the supervisors or Client Service Desk.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I spoke with one of the owners and there is no plan to sell Playero. Rather, they are focusing on increasing the selection of interesting and healthy products, as was requested by posters in a thread some time ago.

The owner had read this thread and was sorry to learn about tee's experience with the Swiss cheese, agreeing it should have been handled better.

So much for the OP's reliable source which seems to be as full of holes as Swiss cheese. .

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Did have a good customer service experience this week. Went through cashier and asked how many points I had and could I use them. Said sure. Then when I tried to pay with my cc was told if you use points can't use cc. Said I wouldn't use points. Asked can you put points back on card. Said no. Paid with CC. Walked over to customer service and talked to a woman with long hair
who told me the points would still be on card and showed me where on receipt. Also confirmed that to use points balance needs to be paid in cash. She even smiled and was friendly.

On the other hand told the frozen buyer that they always had tons of banana bagels but always ran out of whole grain. Took a few weeks and they got other flavors. Now they stopped getting bagels altogether and have a ton of empanada wrappers.

Also Ken if you have a contact at Playero please tell them the 10 items or less line is wonderful. Please ask them to keep it open on weekends especially Saturdays.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think playero will note lower sales but will not be forced out. pola is pretty basic, playero has lots of imported products, both european and american. they will still have clientele. in POP jose luis survived the arrival of la sirena and is doing quite well. it all depends on the management and their flexibility. jose luis extended working hours and started bringing more foreign goods. the owner is there every day.

jose luis survived La Sirena because of pricing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jose luis survived La Sirena because of pricing.

that too. but don tito made many changes in how he runs the place as well. twice we noticed that the cat food we bought there was bad (maggots). second time miesposo took it back and he got it exchanged. no arguments. it helped that he went directly to the owners but nonetheless, few years ago it would be ignored. we shop in jose luis. la sirena is just too much.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I am the only one that thinks that 'change' seems always for the worse with worse service, selection, products and prices?

This time, I shall be proved dramatically wrong....

(Hope springs eternal)

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Random Playero moment....

When I first saw a neighbor swatting at the air with what looked like a kids tennis racket I almost fell out of my chair from laughter. When I realized she was swatting mosquitoes and zapping them dead...I tried it and was SOLD. How often does something so cheap looking work as advertised? I beelined it to Playero and asked them for electric mosquito racket. I might as well have been a Martian asking to see his leader. Two employees later someone knew what I was talking about and all of them had to go see what I was talking about. All of them in awe of a plastic racket that electrifies mosquitoes. You cant buy those moments!

For the record, they are located at the rear behind the tool section by the ridiculously priced BBQ grills.