Looking for an old fashioned post box service

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I've been searching for a post box service for some time now. I am not talking about vimenpaq or other shipping services, but a physical PO box somewhere in Santo Domingo. And I want it to be of the old style where I rent a box, get a key and are free to lend it to my wife, uncle, tia or whoever I want to pick up my mail when I don't have the time myself. Not at all keen on having to go some process of pre-authorization of every possible relative in question that I may have to send to pick up my mail. I am not even sure that this kind of service exists here, maybe it's just me being so used to it from Europe that I refuse to realize I can forget about it en la isla.

Any tips on where to look would be wonderful! Thanks in advance, everyone ...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Mail Box Etc. is not like in the US where you get a private box. It is the same as EPS, which is much better service. as for the other box mentioned good luck on getting your mail in a timely manner or any manner.

Stick to EPS or Business Mail.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
With MBE in common with the other services you have to go through Miami. Yes you can have an Apartado Postal with the Dominican Post Office and it works reasonably well for letters but not parcels, however they do not notify you of the arrival of anything you have to go in regularly and ask.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Google Mailboxes etc. It shows on one map several in SD and one in Santiago and a couple of others in the country,, but following the other "Find a Location showed nothing. I cannot figure how to install a link. But did enjoy checking it out.
Der Fish

Thanks for the info, Derfish. I got a contract with them already and it's great to get things shipped from the US, but it's not at all what I am looking for. It's not a place where I, or anyone else, can stop by and pick up a mail without having to pay for it and present ID (if it's not me, then they have to be pre-authorized in order to get the mail and all that sh*t).

dv8 - i believe inposdom offers that: Apartado Postal

Apartado postal de inposdom sounds a lot more like it, dv8. Will check it out. They have an office semi-close to where we live, so it would be great if that works.

granca
With MBE in common with the other services you have to go through Miami. Yes you can have an Apartado Postal with the Dominican Post Office and it works reasonably well for letters but not parcels, however they do not notify you of the arrival of anything you have to go in regularly and ask.

Hi granca! What do you mean that inposdom works reasonably well for letters but not parcels? Are the boxes so small that it's impossible to have anything else than small letters sent to one, or are we talking about the old problem with things vanishing on their way from point A to point B?

Thanks again for all answers!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Makinater Hola! The actual boxes at some of the offices of Inposdom are indeed a bit small, for example the one here in Las Terrenas is not big enough for parcels they get sent to the big Coreos at Samana!! I then have to travel 70 km there and back to get it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
makinater, i saw the boxes of inposdom here in POP. most are small, kinda shoe box size. but there are few bigger boxes available too.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Sounds great! I will check it out today or tomorrow. Thanks dv8, always get great replies from you. And thanks a lot to you too, granca. If my post box is too small, I guess it will be sent to another center in SD so it's probably no risk that I have to travel 70 kms. Looking forward to check this out and see if I can get my things in order again ...

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Ha ha ha!

"Privacy? It's a muy extra?o word, se?or. Yo no understand."

Could've picked a worse place, I presume. Still got your mail, right? :laugh: