Prepaid and Rechargeable Visa or MasterCard

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
I am in Puerto Plata and want to obtain a prepaid debit card or the like for my girlfriend that I can reload from the US. I carry my own WU prepaid Visa but it is US issued and is in my name. She is of course dominicana. Suggestions appreciated ASAP as I leave Thursday morning for the states and don't return until end of March.

Rms171

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I am in Puerto Plata and want to obtain a prepaid debit card or the like for my girlfriend that I can reload from the US. I carry my own WU prepaid Visa but it is US issued and is in my name. She is of course dominicana. Suggestions appreciated ASAP as I leave Thursday morning for the states and don't return until end of March.

Rms171

Take her to Banco Leon, its the only bank here that offer pre-paid credit card, an another option is a Debit Visa in Popular Bank that works like a prepaid credit card too

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I see a couple of options. Just a regular bank account at any local bank and she gets a card. Then use xoom.com monthly to send money to her card. Another option is get a picture of her and back in the USA get a Netspend card and they have an option of putting your favorite picture on it. Put her foto on it and when they see that and look at her they won't ask for ID. I did that for a while a couple of years ago.

Yeah, go to the bank with her cedula and have her open a saving?s account. She?ll get a debit card! She?s of legal age, and has a cedula, I assume! Most stores, supermarkets accept debit cards these days.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
post deleted by moderator - off topic and unacceptable language. Do it again and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Local debit cards aren't usually VISA or Mastercard, and cannot be used outside of this country, but can be used at any place that accepts such cards. You have to take it to its own bank to withdraw cash though.

Yes, debit card from Popular is now Visa Debit Card, they offers 2 different applications, One for local market, and another one for Local and International, you just have to ask when you apply for the Visa Debit Card valid outside of the Dominican Republic.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
If you live in US, get BlueBird from AmEx and then add a sub-account and you will get 2nd card with her name to your address then you can add funds right from your primary account anywhere on web or phone. Then give her the card with her name so she can use it at shoppings, resturants even ATM. With BlueBird, no foregin fees at all. This is way much better than WU or Xoom. With BlueBird, you can hold up to $100,000 a year, which is good.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Local debit cards aren't usually VISA or Mastercard, and cannot be used outside of this country, but can be used at any place that accepts such cards. You have to take it to its own bank to withdraw cash though.

Banreservas, for example, isn?t Visa or Mastercard but you can use it in the same places that accept credit cards. He wants her to have access to some money and he?s in a hurry because he?s leaving soon. I think a local debit card would be a good choice!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All banks here are going to visa/mastercard debit cards. They are all embracing the cards that have chips in them.

The card I brought "just in case" to DR has a chip - but isn't a different terminal required to actually swipe that chip?