fun fact proud to be dominican

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Over 21% of all second-generation Dominican Americans have college degrees, slightly below the average for all Americans (24%) but significantly higher than U.S.-born Mexican Americans (14%) and U.S.-born Puerto Rican Americans (9%)...wikipedia

nice to see that we are above the rest of the latinos..according to some dude in these threads dominicans arent latinos let me guess we have to be central or south american INDIANS because thats what they are,to be latino

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
As they make educational progress, especially compared to native blacks and Puerto Ricans, second-generation West Indians, Dominicans, and South Americans are well positioned to inherit leadership positions within minority institutions and gain greater access to mainstream institutions. It seems becoming identified as a member of a racial minority can have tangible benefits for second-generation New Yorkers.

Becoming American/Becoming New Yorkers: The Second Generation in a Majority Minority City | migrationpolicy.org

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
21% is not a rate to be proud of.

I agree with you 100%,but just 3% under the rest of America not bad..and I'm just happy we are above the rest of Latin America by a good margin jejejeje,since they already think of us Dominicans as dumbasses...hopefully that percentage goes up with future dominicanitos

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
What's amazing is the stuff those college grads are not learning. Mention Lend-Lease and Yalta, and 99% would have a blank stare. Agincourt? And now we are at 100% of college edumacated Dominicans with Ke tu dice?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Is Germany closerr to New York than Miami? etc... If they all get a USA style high school education it would be a long step up.

Really ?

Usual questions I get : Where are you from ?
Me: France
American: You are fom London ! Nice ! (worse: do you speak French ?) :sleep:

My friend who was about to visit Paris for the first time....Do they have ATM in Paris ? :alien:

I have millions of examples like that.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
21% is not a rate to be proud of.

I think 21% is definitely something to be proud of. Add to that the number who have trade school certificates, and you have a large number (probably a majority) who are in a position to join the middle class or better. All that in one generation? I would be proud.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Soooooooooooooooo, It looks like it's "Nurture" not "Nature"?????
Maybe you CAN, take the Dominican Republic out of the Dominican!
First time I went to Puerto Rico, I asked the flight attendant where I could change money!
But I DID know where I was going!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
But the article is about USA-educated Dominicans. Yeah, they may know how to download the latest smartphone apps and even the name of all the members of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, and some may even know where to apply quadratic equations, but don't ask them about the Warren Court and its impact on American society or Dubya's extraordinary rendition practice.

In short, they know about events (who was kicked out from Dancing with the Stars AND the latest news regarding Venezuelan beauty queens), but nothing about the Kent State protests and massacre, the practice of Gerrymandering and/or anything IN PRINT.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lucifer, to be fair, only "News & History Junkies" like you and I know those things, EVEN among "Real Americans"!!!!!
"Fish" your sister's question was VALID!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I can still remember the "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards!
Too Bad We Didn't!!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well, CCcc, regardless of one's position in the political spectrum, Dominicans in the US should want to know about its history and culture. When I lived in Houston, some Dominicans I was attempting to help gain US citizenship were more concerned with the answers to the test... rather than build a basic foundation of Constitutional knowledge and history and such. I gave up! AND WILL not try again!!!!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
But the article is about USA-educated Dominicans. Yeah, they may know how to download the latest smartphone apps and even the name of all the members of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, and some may even know where to apply quadratic equations, but don't ask them about the Warren Court and its impact on American society or Dubya's extraordinary rendition practice.

In short, they know about events (who was kicked out from Dancing with the Stars AND the latest news regarding Venezuelan beauty queens), but nothing about the Kent State protests and massacre, the practice of Gerrymandering and/or anything IN PRINT.

You underestimate them - I know a lot of first-generation-born-in-USA, mostly 30-somethings, and they would give you a run for your money. Most Dominicans not raised in the ghettos have assimilated very well into America - our son's best friend from college is a Dominican-American research scientist in the US medical field, astonishing mind working on cures for our ills. Some would say he's brilliant.

They're not all Dominican-yorks with saggy pants and sideways gorras.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You underestimate them - I know a lot of first-generation-born-in-USA, mostly 30-somethings, and they would give you a run for your money. Most Dominicans not raised in the ghettos have assimilated very well into America - our son's best friend from college is a Dominican-American research scientist in the US medical field, astonishing mind working on cures for our ills. Some would say he's brilliant.

They're not all Dominican-yorks with saggy pants and sideways gorras.

The ones I know where actually raised in the ghetto and are now engineers (I met them in College) and moved out of the ghetto since. My closest friend is from the Boogie down Bronx (his mother spoke no English) and has a good career, own his place, travel the world...Damn I should have married him before it was too late.

I am sure they may have worn some saggy pants at a point in time :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I would be more impressed if the general population including the cow milkers could write a simple sentence. Recently my dominicana was chatting on faboo with a cubana. I was asked to read it and in several places in the short chat the cubana was saying she didn't understand the dominicana. It just goes to show what a different education system the two Spanish countries have. It takes me several attempts at reading this jibberish to understand what they are trying to say.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think these numbers are skewed by the number of Dominican college graduates from Community College in NY. I know two of them personally and they are unemployable in any white collar job. They actually get paid to go to CC and learn NOTHING!!!!!

Also, the many many illegal Dominicans dont participate in these surveys.

Also, Dominicans have a higher propensity to lie.

Notwithstanding, I love Dominicans.