Best Restaurants in Puerto Plata

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm in Puerto Plata right now and am looking for the top restaurants to eat lunch at. I always end up at Casa Colonial on the rooftop--which is beautiful--but thought i might try something different today.

Any suggestions?

PS. I can eat cat or dog if it's cooked in the right sauce.

Frank

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Tropical dining room is good. Fresh, cheap and lots of turnover plus A/C dining room.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
Frankie don,t they have monkey on the menu? I know you like cat but its spelled differently.LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why don't you try a new place in town, frank? calle juan bosch, i do not know the number but it is next door to the dental office of guillermo bournigal. newly renovated victrian house. i went there for coffee and pastries on sunday and the place is stunning. frappuccino and lemon square were very tasty too.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
why don't you try a new place in town, frank? calle juan bosch, i do not know the number but it is next door to the dental office of guillermo bournigal. newly renovated victrian house. i went there for coffee and pastries on sunday and the place is stunning. frappuccino and lemon square were very tasty too.

did you leave "zero" tip

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like la sirena buffet. the shop in POP is the only one on the north coast with a chef preparing the food and working on the menu. i also like the choice, lots of things to pick from.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Tostacos. You can walk there from la Sirena ( on a side street off Ginerbra). IMO it's better than Gorditos in Cabarete.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i like la sirena buffet. the shop in POP is the only one on the north coast with a chef preparing the food and working on the menu. i also like the choice, lots of things to pick from.

ever tried Tropical?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar

The place is as dv8 describes. They will be open for lunch (soon) and dinner (later). It's a spot we intend to visit with all our guests. A spot of Victorian upper middle class living tastefully morphed into a restaurant. The # may be 43, but house #s tend to jump around. I believe it has a sign that says 'Kaffe' outside. A must visit.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar

Tropical also has excellent food; the chef is often in evidence. The service is either steam-tray and from a menu. We plan our trips to town around lunch time just so we can eat there. Breakfast is also excellent.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Tostacos. You can walk there from la Sirena ( on a side street off Ginerbra). IMO it's better than Gorditos in Cabarete.

How would you walk from there? Would like to try it.

Tropical is also in Sosua across from Playero. Great food, good service, parking lot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How would you walk from there? Would like to try it.

it's on calle vasquez. the easiest way: stand in front of the tropical with the shop itself behind your back, facing the street 27 de febrero. you will see a small narrow street, profesor certad. walk one corner. tostacos is right there. they also serve sushi. tacos and sushi. i know it's weird.

here is a handy map, it does not show tropical but it shows scotia bank that is opposite. the location of tostacos is printed:

2lxibrm.jpg