New Internet.... Speed Questions

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, I have a new hook-up.... same old system but new connection

what these things and how badly do I stack up ??

Ping - about 200 +/-
Download - all over the map, from 1.00mbps to .3
Upload - same , all over the place, from .33 to less

This system -- Claro no es claro -- just baffles me

thanks
WW

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
0.3-1mbps is REALLY slow.

but that is all relative.

if you just need to read news, send email, and do mostly text based activities you are just fine.

if you want to watch videos and do things with media you are on the lowest of the low tiers for speed.

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
You should do a trace route to the end point. That way you can find where the bottleneck is. Your last mile network may just a briged network rather than a routed network (routed to you). Bridges introduce ever increasing delays depending on the number of users on the net along with bridge having to large IP data within the bridge itself. If its a DSL distance also becomes a problem. Bridged networks are cheaper to build and in many cases legacy nets.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You should do a trace route to the end point. That way you can find where the bottleneck is. Your last mile network may just a briged network rather than a routed network (routed to you). Bridges introduce ever increasing delays depending on the number of users on the net along with bridge having to large IP data within the bridge itself. If its a DSL distance also becomes a problem. Bridged networks are cheaper to build and in many cases legacy nets.

How does one do a TRACE ROUTE? 7 posts in 7 years, you need to post more, we need more tech talk here.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
OK, I have a new hook-up.... same old system but new connection

what these things and how badly do I stack up ??

Ping - about 200 +/-
Download - all over the map, from 1.00mbps to .3
Upload - same , all over the place, from .33 to less

This system -- Claro no es claro -- just baffles me

thanks
WW

William, let's have some tech talk. Spartan is correct in his explanation, but lets try to simplify...

1st, Speed is relative...to what you may ask? To the plan you purchased. What speed tier/plan did you purchase from Claro? Bottom of the barrel speed tiers are almost worthless.

2nd, Your ping time kinda sucks. Ideally your ping time should be around 50-100 milliseconds to general websites (i.e. yahoo.com). You can determine your point of congestion with a traceroute (see below). Causes for this can vary from p*ss poor cabling to shoddy networking on Claro's side. A call to Claro can *hopefully* result in an improvement if they care to do something about it (i.e. DSLAM port change, truck roll, etc) depending on what they find.

3rd, To run a ping or a traceroute, (assuming Windows pc) click start, run, cmd, (ok or enter)
Ping example: ping yahoo.com (for continuous ping loop) ping yahoo.com -t
Traceroute example: tracert yahoo.com

HTH

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
The trace route will show you the routers and IP addresses that your packets go through - AT THAT MOMENT. You can then see where the slow down MAY occur. If its outside the routers under your suppliers control it would be impossible to do much about it though. If its Claro, my best wishes in gettng anything changed. If you have a DSL line the most likely problem is the copper. Copper ages very quickly in your enviornment and just goes "bad". Claro wold probably not replace it due to costs and lack of interest.

'Course this is all talk and you will find the slow down, eventually. But that does not change much to make your service better.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My signal is an airwave, no hardwire. I have a small dish on the roof... I'm between 2 relay towers (this is the campo here) but I am 100M up on a cliff.

I get good activity in the early morning but it drops off around 8am.... makes agree with a post above about others sucking up my bandwidth(I guess)

When its good , its lightning..... bad is off the charts at the other end.
All in all frustrating.

This is new territory forClaro, my neighborhood.
Those of you know Playa Grandde will remember there was no signal there - there is now with the new development going in.
I am to benefit from that as it passes by me in the Abreu area..... says Claro.