way to open a united states checking account without going to the us?

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Maybe someone has a way for me to open a checking account in the united states without having to go there. I just do not have the money to travel there but it would help for my pension and in the future other things. Please if anyone has a strategy to do that it would be a big help.

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
Online is the only way but you have to have a US address. They will mail you the debit card, account info and card agreement through the mail.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Not sure this will work

Not sure this will still work as they now want to see you in person when opening an account, and some won't open it at all. Had somebody going and told them without Social Security no more account opening.

Just from what i know...

Online is the only way but you have to have a US address. They will mail you the debit card, account info and card agreement through the mail.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Social Security number is not required but you do need some sort of tax-payer ID number if you don't give them a SSAN. Check with the folks you are getting the pension from. They should be able to assist.

Feb 7, 2007
You can open online... try capitalone360.com for free checking and savings account (free ATM withdrawals in the DR).
You can also open online at suntrust.com and chase.com
You must have a U.S. SSN and a valid driver's license.
You will be background checked during opening process and you must respond to multiple questions they pull up from your credit history files (e.g. during year 2004 you lived on which address a)... b)... c)... d)... etc.)

I even opened business checking account over the phone...so it's possible. But you must know your credit file well (and have good memory about your past lol).

Feb 7, 2007
Advantage with Capital One 360 is that you can have multiple savings account (aka virtual accounts, with different account numbers), all opened in just one click (once you are "set up" at CO360, so you can just open one up in a snapshot to use with PayPal, etc. without having to use your "real" account. Send and receive money that way, and simply transfer between other accounts in real time (one word of advise, U.S. federal law limits 5 monthly free withdrawals from a savings account per month, then a $20 fee applied by law).*

* Here in the DR I use savings as checking, with a debit card and all... easier to open than checking, lower fees and minimums, and no transaction fees. Banco Lean and Santa Cruz are among the best options (allow easy real time online transfers between USD/DOP accounts),a nd have VISA debit card, but now even Popular and BHD give you a VISA debit card to savings accounts). Leon leads the way, IMHO, because it offers VISA prepaid card, again easy to use that card with PayPal, Ebay etc. and you just transfer online the money you are going to use, form your main account, at no fee. There is a RD$300 issuance fee for Leon prepaid Visa, but it's a one time fee, no monthly fee.

So there you go... the best of USA and DR banking all in one post :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure this will still work as they now want to see you in person when opening an account, and some won't open it at all. Had somebody going and told them without Social Security no more account opening.

Just from what i know...

I have opened two different accounts in the US while being in the DR.

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012

Just from what i know...

Not true. I opened my account online without them seeing me.