Costs of opening a bar.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I have no idea of the costs involved in opening a bar here. If for example someone was to consider taking over one of the units on Sosua beach, what are the expenses and for what exactly.
To take over a small place in say Cabarete, on the main street, not the beach, what are the general expenses there.
A very broad question as the place does not exist, but I?d appreciate some examples and numbers if anyone has some to share.

No, I will not be opening a bar any time in the near future or even this lifetime, but I have always wondered the kind of cash we are talking about in such a venture.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I knew a Canadian couple, very nice, opened a bar/lounge/restaurant in Cabarete I believe it was. They invested $40,000-$60,000 and lost it all within a month or so due to shady business. Be careful and do your research first.

They are really nice people and didn't deserve that at all.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A friend is about to lose all apparently in Sosua, asking now as I wonder (or bullied out maybe) just how much is all, dare not ask him incase I cause reason for the hangman shuffle, but it has always intrigued me just what background these beach shack investors come from.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
nice and savvy are two very different things….as I'm sure they learned

Opening a bar here would never work for me, I am so lazy when I get around beer I probably wold never open the front doors. I have seen many reasonable people fall apart trying to make it in Sosua, many.

Never liked over working either. Bar owners here seem to live to work, and I enjoy working to live, just!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The logic is flawed though to me. Why open a bar? Get a colmado, big speakers, big coolers, you'll be rich in no time. Invite karaoke once a month and watch profit double!

I have a colmado near me that does this and it drives me crazy at night. But they sure do sell a lot of beer.

May 29, 2006
When I was there about 10 years ago, even the most primitive beach bar was selling for $40K. I checked one out and asked them how they could ask so much and they said something about how being able to rent chairs was a big money maker. How much can you possibly make renting chairs?? No water, no electric and the stand could have been thrown together in a couple hours~less with a portable drill. Why was it worth $40K? 'Cause that's what they paid for it the year before! They had zero idea of what their sales were, at least as far as I was concerned.. There are semi-retired couples who come down all the time and think that having a beach bar would be "fun"...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
British Bulldog

Regarding Sosua Beach, since the OP mentioned it:

Several years ago a Brit couple (sorry I can't recall their names -- Val and ??) rented a caseta on Sosua Beach. It became the British Bulldog and served the best (probably the best I've ever tasted) fish and chips in the World. Also really cold beer and there were other drinks I'm sure. A year later they were doing so well that the Dominicano with so-called title to the plot raised their rent, I think she told me doubled it, but don't quote me on that.

So they moved up the beach and started over. A year later they were doing so well that their new owner . . . I'm sure you get the idea. They folded their tents and last year when I met them at the Checkpoint he was doing plumbing, "It's mostly fixing the things that have already been done wrong." he told me, and she does something else.

It ain't easy being a success anywhere and 'here' has it's special array of challenges.

wbr

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Dominican Business Plan"
"Why BUILD A Business, When You Cab STEAL One"?????

Seen it a million times!
And THEN, they lose the business anyway!
Forgot the "Hard Work" part of the plan!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Regarding Sosua Beach, since the OP mentioned it:

Several years ago a Brit couple (sorry I can't recall their names -- Val and ??) rented a caseta on Sosua Beach. It became the British Bulldog and served the best (probably the best I've ever tasted) fish and chips in the World. Also really cold beer and there were other drinks I'm sure. A year later they were doing so well that the Dominicano with so-called title to the plot raised their rent, I think she told me doubled it, but don't quote me on that.

So they moved up the beach and started over. A year later they were doing so well that their new owner . . . I'm sure you get the idea. They folded their tents and last year when I met them at the Checkpoint he was doing plumbing, "It's mostly fixing the things that have already been done wrong." he told me, and she does something else.

It ain't easy being a success anywhere and 'here' has it's special array of challenges.

wbr

Same thing happened to me but not in the DR. Then I got a lease for my little popcicle stand across from Rocky's. When the guy I was subletting from found someone who would pay more rent, he shut the water off from a place I couldnt access and skipped town for three weeks. When he came back he said unless it said it wasn't in my lease that he had to provide a water hook-up so I was SOL. He wanted to sue me it would take months, and with a couple bribes he'd be sure to win the case. How was I going to support myself until then?

The fact is good leases for businesses are rare and usually only come up when a place that has been in operation for a long time sells out. If a place is selling that's only been around for a year or so, you should be seeing red flags. So many landlords would rather charge double what they should and have a storefront sit empty most of the time that look at the big picture. I'm never leasing again. Getting burned twice was enough.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Dominican Business Plan"
"Why BUILD A Business, When You Cab STEAL One"?????

Seen it a million times!
And THEN, they lose the business anyway!
Forgot the "Hard Work" part of the plan!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

absolutely true. rent a spot from a Dominican, after 20 other guys have failed to last 6 months. make it a roaring success. all of a sudden, he thinks that the spot is a money tree. now he wants you out, so he can put his own business there. he has no idea that the success comes from the hard work and ingenuity the other guy put into it. so, you leave, and he buys an amplifier, and some huge speakers, and calls the beer truck. in three months, he goes bust.

he can't understand how it worked for you, but not for him.

May 29, 2006
You see the same thing in NYC with Korean corner store owners. They make a business work in a spot that hasn't worked for 20 years. Only thing is, they work 100 hours a week, live frugally, and when they get family to help them, they bust their asses too.

I work with almost all North Africans now. They put in six-seven day weeks when it's busy and don't drink. It also helps that they look after each other. They spend their money on trips back home..

Also remember that your trusted emploees will steal everything they can from you- with a smile ofcource.

I would NEVER open a place in this rotten country- but if i was i would use haitians as workers, the place would last a little longer that way.

Feb 15, 2005
absolutely true. rent a spot from a Dominican, after 20 other guys have failed to last 6 months. make it a roaring success. all of a sudden, he thinks that the spot is a money tree. now he wants you out, so he can put his own business there. he has no idea that the success comes from the hard work and ingenuity the other guy put into it. so, you leave, and he buys an amplifier, and some huge speakers, and calls the beer truck. in three months, he goes bust.

"mala suerte" lol

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"mala suerte" lol

the guy who started El Carey in Costambar had the place jumping. so, as per usual, some Dominican guys came and muscled him out of the place. they were too stupid to find their way off a bed, and had no idea how cold the beer cooler should be. the day after they took over, all the beers started exploding. the idiots wanted to put him in jail for putting a voodoo hex on them. needless to say, the place has been a spectacular bust ever since they took over. nobody has ever been able to get it to work.

Concrete2

Dec 11, 2013

No truer words have been spoke

Concrete2

Dec 11, 2013
You see the same thing in NYC with Korean corner store owners. They make a business work in a spot that hasn't worked for 20 years. Only thing is, they work 100 hours a week, live frugally, and when they get family to help them, they bust their asses too.

I work with almost all North Africans now. They put in six-seven day weeks when it's busy and don't drink. It also helps that they look after each other. They spend their money on trips back home..

I work for a Korean who works 18 hours a day and cannot understand why that is not normal for everybody.

May 29, 2006
Yes, bust your butt for your kids, never spend any time with them and then wonder why they hate you as soon as they hit their teens and get into drugs and booze.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Are their any businesses an expat can start or buy that make money?

Eco Resort
Excursions
Rental
Bar/restaurant
Lessons
Transportation
Colmado
Gas station

Their has to be something.... Right?