American air crash

J

Jerry

At 9:15 an American Airlines Airbus 300 from New York Flight#586 bound for Santo Domingo crashed just after takeoff into a Queens neighborood of the city. The crash has been contributed to an engine blowing up several miles from the airport.

C

Carol

To all my friends in NY and DR. My heart goes out to you at this time.

Carol

M

massei

My heart goes out to all as well, and hope it wasn't a part of any terrorist attack. My prayers are with all.

M

melissa solano

To all my Dominicans here in NYC, Santo Domingo and in the world my prays and tears are with you. May God gives us the strength to accept what we can not change. Que dios no biendga.
Melissa Solano

M

MARIANA

For the family of those aboard flight 587, American Airlines has issued this phone number 1-800-245 0999. God Bless them all.

A

azb

Re: Relax, not a terrorist act.

I don't think it was a terrorist act. Most planes that crash during takeoff and landing are usually due to mechanical failure.
The bombs usually go off at a very high altitude (barometric pressured switch to detonate the explosives or radio controlled). The reason is to explode the plane over ocean so it would become very difficult to obtain evidence of the actual cause. They hope (terrorists) the Black box would not be found so it won't be analyzed for malfunction or mishap.
(Note: The black box or boxes are always recovered in every crash and analyzed (in the past history) except the the 8 black boxes in the 4 planes that were used in the sept. 11 attack. Each plane had 2 black boxes and not one is declared useful for evidence. In fact, no one even talks about them at all in the media; not even the tape recording between the control tower and the planes' crew of the 9/11 attack.)

I pray for the souls of all the people who have perished in today's crash.

M

melissa solano

Info on the crash

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/12/newyork.crash/index.html

A

azb

Re: Airbus 300

The airbus 300 is a wide body European aircraft; their answer to Boeing?s 767. Its also a dual engine aircraft. As far as I remember, Airbus 300 always had its share of problems. This plane is highly computerized and equipped with very complicated avionics. My brother who is an aviation engineer tells me that this plane is most hated by the pilots and with the A&P mechanics alike. Air India had a crash which involved A300, in fact, this plane actually crashed in a Paris air show. In an actual exhibition to promote the plane.
Many airlines have had problems with this plane. It requires too much maintenance and repair as oppose to Boeings.

A

Abe

Yeah, but terrorists want the planes to crash

on the ground where they can be seen and couse more damage.

Eyewitness report hearing a first explosion and seeing the engine falling off first.

Let's hope this is not an attack but I am afraid the consequences of this will be catastrophic for the US and the world economy.

M

massei

if there are so many problems with this kind of plane why keep them in flight? just a question.

C

Carol

Hi AZB

Is it just that particular model airbus? I hear the engines are 'gooseproof'. The airline I fly with to DR uses Airbus 330s.

I much prefer the Boeing 767.

Carol

E

El Jefecito

Looking around the web it appears A33 and A310s have been involved in most of the Airbus crashes. Also appears that the aircraft with the most accidents since 97 is the Boeing 747. I have flown on Airbus aircraft many time and found them to be comfortable rides. Sure beats a 737 cattle car.

J

Joachim

During test runs dead birds are injected into the engine at around 200mph, to test the validity of the engine against failure. Very very rarely do aircraft engines ever fail. If this plane lost an engine, now I am just speculating if most likely was due to faulty maintenance.

Remember modern aircraft require a tremendous amount of maintenance, so if the airline neglects regular maintenance then accidents will happen.

Ever notice that the majority of the cars broken down on the road are in poor condition or badly maintained, very rarely do you see new cars on the side of the road unless they have a flat.

C

Carol

Thanks for that Joachim. I'm a bit wiser now.

Carol

M

mike

Re: Relax, not a terrorist act.

You can't make conclusions on what happened when so little evidence exists. There are so many ways to detonate bombs from the ground.

Also even a simple obstruction like a piece of tyre can bring a plane down. Look at Concorde.

Speaking of Black boxes 9/11 The reason they do not appear is that it is my opinion that the airoplane that fell over penslyvenia sp.? was shot down by a US missle.

A

azb

Boeings are the best and almost all the pilots love them. Its called the industry's work-horse (Boeing 767, 757). I like all new Boeings and my favorite one is 777, the widest body in 2 engine formation.
Many American airliners are forced to buy European airbus industry aircrafts to keep the competition fair. Europeans would buy Boeings only if Americans buy airbus industry aircrafts. originally, they seemed more advanced than the Boeings (but only on the design table), later in service, many problems were encountered. Even the European airline industry prefer the Boeings but they are forced to buy a number of airbuses.

A

azb

It maybe the older versions of 747's (100 series or 200), certainly not the 747 400 series. They are very modern and safe to fly.