Computer Market - Desktop and Laptop

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I'm always trying to think of ways to keep money coming in and keep me busy. Computers are something I enjoy using and working on.

I've done some searching at big name and smaller retailers and this is what I've found. Computers, laptops and desktops, are way over priced. THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE. This particular computer is worth about $50, maybe $100 tops and they are selling it with XP?!??! For a business?!??!

They don't show the specifications in detail but I think I can sell a computer twice as powerful for less. Good desktops from RD$10,000 and up. Laptops can be sold for RD$12,000-$15,000 depending on the model. I don't know where to market this. I can even go cheaper if they don't want Windows and will use Linux.

I need advice on where you guys in the DR see people purchasing, asking, and looking for information on computers. If this is a viable option I'll be in business. I'm realistic though and do not see a lot of people purchasing computers so I wont set my hopes up too high.

Apr 13, 2011
I get asked often if I can bring a laptop back with me when returning from the US - so there are people in the DR that want computers at a decent price.
The problem is if you are shipping them in (especially in quantity) - because then you have shipping charges and taxes to add - never mind whatever you want for a profit....
Bringing a second laptop in, while travelling, does not get noticed. They just assume one is for work and one is for personal use.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Buying new here is very expensive. Buying second hand is very cheap.

Like anything here, know the right people and get the right prices.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Other electronics also. I had a $100.00 camera from Walmart stolen. I saw the exact same camera in Jumbo store for 9,500 pesos. The peso was at 36.5 at the time so that was almost 3 times the USA value. But paying 40 % import tax as well as shipping cost seemed like the 9,500 was almost justified. or maybe 50% of that. I've never done retail, but was tempted to look into it.
Der Fish

My secret is building the computers myself. My limit is $199.99 (shipping included) per part and I can make a powerful, fully customized computer. That way I stay under the import tax.

Laptops I cannot make myself but do have a nice connection and think I can make money from it.

I've priced out laptops here and that would seem to be the hot commodity. In the store new they go for $20,000+ and if I can save people $5,000-$8,000 I think those products become very attractive. The other side of the coin is those more expensive laptops are brand spankin' new, mine are refurbished.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My secret is building the computers myself. My limit is $199.99 (shipping included) per part and I can make a powerful, fully customized computer. That way I stay under the import tax.

Laptops I cannot make myself but do have a nice connection and think I can make money from it.

I've priced out laptops here and that would seem to be the hot commodity. In the store new they go for $20,000+ and if I can save people $5,000-$8,000 I think those products become very attractive. The other side of the coin is those more expensive laptops are brand spankin' new, mine are refurbished.

I saw brand new Toshiba Laptop being sold for $188 +tax at store and website of Best Buy over the black friday. How much do you think it's worth if you bring it here? My guess is doubling the cost wouldn't be a problem as I saw crazy prices on Pentium 4 Dell desktop being sold more than that.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. That might be true for the larger stores, but anything is game for the smaller ones.

There is no law that I know of in DR about having to label 'Refurbs' as such, therefore they are passed off as new. As a matter of fact the DGA makes no distinction in the aduana fees from new to refurb. Their view is basically "...same chit, give me my money sucka"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of our family members now lives in the North Lauderdale area if that helps with any connections to shipping. Door to door shippers might be a good way to go when sending these items to the DR and there are some in her area.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
I'm always trying to think of ways to keep money coming in and keep me busy. Computers are something I enjoy using and working on.

I've done some searching at big name and smaller retailers and this is what I've found. Computers, laptops and desktops, are way over priced. THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE. This particular computer is worth about $50, maybe $100 tops and they are selling it with XP?!??! For a business?!??!

They don't show the specifications in detail but I think I can sell a computer twice as powerful for less. Good desktops from RD$10,000 and up. Laptops can be sold for RD$12,000-$15,000 depending on the model. I don't know where to market this. I can even go cheaper if they don't want Windows and will use Linux.

I need advice on where you guys in the DR see people purchasing, asking, and looking for information on computers. If this is a viable option I'll be in business. I'm realistic though and do not see a lot of people purchasing computers so I wont set my hopes up too high.

i only know that hanging with the right people (rich, people with money and people who can spend money) will do it..

also dedicate a facebook page to what you're doing and spread the word over there, it helps to film a video where you explain that people are being ripped off in the stores so place ads of the stores in the video to let them know that your product is better and cheaper.

on facebook you also have tech related pages you can join and all that, it will help the ball rolling..

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Koreano, I got a deal like that, $179.99 for a Dell and I could easily sell it for $15,000 so I'd imagine your laptop would be in the $12,000-$20,000 area depending on specifications.

Petey, I see your point and I think I'd be the honest business man in order to build faithful clientele. If they see I'm not trying to pass one over on them they'll come back as repeat customers even if they have an issue with a product.

windeguy, I would be interested in finding more information. I've been trying to find out, for example, if I ship 5 laptops all under the import tax, can I ship all 5 laptops in the same box/container? Would I have to send them each in a separate box in order to avoid paying the import tax? Once I figure that out if it is advantageous for both sides of the equation I'll see if we can make it benefit everyone involved. :)

As far as advertising I'm thinking the craigslist based websites for now. corotos, olx, mercadolibre, quebarato, places like those. I still have to gauge if it is worth it. RD$12,000+ is a lot for a normal worker or student which is the demographic I'd be targeting.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A couple of maybe stupid questions. If you buy a PC in the USA it comes with an English keyboard and Windows in English. How do you change Win 7 to Spanish and do you swap out the keyboard for a Spanish one?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
A couple of maybe stupid questions. If you buy a PC in the USA it comes with an English keyboard and Windows in English. How do you change Win 7 to Spanish and do you swap out the keyboard for a Spanish one?

According to Microsoft you can only change the language in Windows 7 Ultimate (How to change system language of Windows 7 Home Premium from russian - Microsoft Community)

According to the internet you can change any edition but the tutorial was done in Windows 7 Ultimate (Open Display Language Settings in Control Panel)

Post back please and let me know if it worked.

I've never changed the language so I'm not sure. Thank you for bringing this to my attention though. The computers I'd like to sell will have the English language and most users, I assume, will want Spanish. I completely overlooked that aspect, thank you very much :)

As far as the keyboard you'll have to buy a Spanish keyboard then do this: How to change your keyboard layout

This is for XP but I believe it is the same for Windows 7 to display the keyboard in the task bar for quick switching from English to Spanish: https://www.microsoft.com/resources...en-us/input_switch_from_taskbar.mspx?mfr=true

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

If I remember correctly only Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro can download and install the language packs. These enable you to change the language and keyboard to anything you like.

There is a dirty little secret when it comes to upgrading your Windows version for free. All mainstream computers are coded into the hardware (BIOS) to activate a particular version of Windows (Windows 7 for example) to an OEM copy (ex. Dell, Toshiba) of Windows software without asking for a license. What it doesn't take into account is the TYPE of Windows (Starter, Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate).

So to word this differently, if your Dell laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium, you can grab ANY Dell Windows 7 Ultimate cd, install it and it will never ask you for a license. Viola, free Windows upgrade and change to any language you want ;)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
One of the times I had my computer wiped of virus and started over the guy gave me windows in Spanish and a keyboard configured to Spanish. Took awhile to get used to it. It is back to English since it had to be cleaned up again. I miss being able to do the accents and the ~. But one cannot have everything.

Keyboard Language in any Windows version can be easily configured to your need, but you still have to know keyboard layouts to use comfortably, or have a specific keyboards if you are consonantly looking at the keys. There's way you can display the screen keyboard but it's extremely annoying and blocking screen spaces. I've installed three languages in all my computers, English, Spanish and Korean. In Windows 7 just go to Control Panel => Region and Languages => keyboards and Languages => Change keyboard => install what ever languages you want and set one you use most to default.

The changes of display languages in Windows 7 and 8 is different story, you need to have Pro/Ultimate or better and download language pack and install them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you ship a box of used laptops from Florida using a door to door Dominican shipper, sometimes you might pay taxes and other times you might not.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
OK... first things first. You need to get your business set up and registered with the Dominican Gov't. and Impuestos Internos. Get yourself a RNC number, and use NCF for all of your sales and purchases.

Put yourself on the same playing field as the guys that sell computers "at a high cost"

This is the idea.

I've looked in to PC business long ago when people used to think computer building was very complicated. And when I had money and time it all changed to how well you can twist and organize the cables and now with all those easiest DIY cases and motherboards and big-corps' disposible computers/laptops everywhere, I feel now it became manual labor with not enough income.

If OP is going to do this right you should get a connection in state and go directly to computer components distributors like Synnex and look in to import some cheap components directly from China. I think this is only way to survive now.