Canadian Work Visa vs Permanent Residency for Employment

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am a Canadian citizen and I have a job offer at a school in Santo Domingo. I have not accepted yet as I am also waiting to hear from one elsewhere in South America. I have been in contact with the Dominican Consulate in Canada, and my understanding from them is that I can either apply for a Work Visa or Permanent Residency. I know what I would need in order to apply for either one, however, I am uncertain about which one would be in my best interests if I decide to take the offer. The school will offer help but I would like to figure out some of this in advance.

Any advice from someone who understands Canada-DR Work Visas would be much much appreciated. Directing me to a recent thread on this would help as well.

Thanks in advance.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Go the easiest and most economic way to begin with, you can always choose another way later.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the work visa chance may just pass your way once and will just last for the job.
Residency is always available and will last as long as you want.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
I am canadian and living here full time... I would suggest the residency because if you dont like the job or they fire you, you have the option to find another... with the work visa your out...

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
the work visa chance may just pass your way once and will just last for the job.
Residency is always available and will last as long as you want.

I am thinking the same thing. Why would the Residency Visa form that the Consulate sent me say: "The visa is valid for two (2) months and one entry." Their website has a glitch but it's here as well: Residency Visa Requirements

#13-I will have to ask the school for the guarantor letter?
#15 b- They will be providing me with an apartment, so I would assume that is waived.

Thanks so far everyone.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The Residency Visa gives you two months to get started with the process to obtain your residency permit with local authorities (Direcci?n General de Migraci?n) after you arrived in DR.

I doubt that you will get a permanent residency permit right away, you will probably start with a provisional residency permit which has to be renewed yearly four times before you can apply for the permanent residency permit.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I thought it might have something to do with Provisional Residency as the first step. Thanks mido.