How to send Passport to UK Passport office.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi,

I have a slight problem in that as requested by the British overseas office in Durham to send my twins mother's passport ( Dominican) with the other papers, I find that none of the couriers will accept the package containing a passport. I am currently in Costa Rica so can't deal with this in person. Does anyone know if the Consulate office in Santo Domingo will courier for us ( at a cost) ?

Another thing they wanted my passport as well, and were not interested in the fact that since Dec 1 I have needed for work to make 12 international flights, so sending my passport for weeks to the UK is simply out the question. Any ideas ?

Frank

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi Frank - wow, what a dilemma!

I spoke to the Washington Consulate... we had to get my o/h's passport sorted asap for his cedula application. You have to send the passport via FedEx (courier) to Washington, I think they send the passport via diplomatic bag to the UK, once the process has been sorted - the UK office then sends the new passport here but has to be to a proper address (used my lawyer's office address in santo domingo) and they also sent the old passport back (just in case!)..

We explained the situation and I have to say they were fast.. took two weeks!

Not easy... if you are in Costa Rica, can they not help you? The consulate here in Santo DOmingo doesn't help very much.

GOod luck!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I know that during hurricane season it is not necessary to send your passport if you are in the islands.....a copy will suffice, and if you need your passport for work, a letter should be sufficient along with a copy of your passport.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi,

I have a slight problem in that as requested by the British overseas office in Durham to send my twins mother's passport ( Dominican) with the other papers, I find that none of the couriers will accept the package containing a passport. I am currently in Costa Rica so can't deal with this in person. Does anyone know if the Consulate office in Santo Domingo will courier for us ( at a cost) ?

Another thing they wanted my passport as well, and were not interested in the fact that since Dec 1 I have needed for work to make 12 international flights, so sending my passport for weeks to the UK is simply out the question. Any ideas ?

Frank

Update ..... I hope this gives encouragement to those in similar situations. It has gone like this, I e-mail DHL explaining my predicament, they e-mail back telling me yes it's true international customs prevents them from accepting packages containing a passport unless the sender is a consul or embassy, of which I am not and the recipient is a government official address. So sorry. I send this e mail to the UK overseas division and get approval to photo copy both passports and that this would need a letter of explanation etc, signed by the leader of "team 1" Mr. N....... Great, now I am moving, along comes another e-mail from DHL head of customer services, confirming that as long as the address the package is being sent to is a government agency office, in this case, Her Majesties Pasport Office, Durham, they can and will courier the documents. All seems strange especially the fact the UK uses DHL to send the passports back. And if you have supplied your passport and cedula from the DR as evidence of your existance, the very document you need to get the package released is in the package that DHL won't release.........

So photo copies being sent to avoid anymore trouoble. Hope this helps someone someday who finds that their situation is similar...don't despair !!