beach chair rental

STL15

Mar 2, 2014
My wife and I will be staying in a condo at Arenas del Bavaro and plan on spending most of our time on the beach.

How does beach chair rental work? I know on other islands some beach bars charge to use their chairs while other do not as long as you eat and drink there. Do beach bars in the DR charge to use their chairs? If so, how much?

Also, are there vendors that rent chairs on the beach? Some days we may want to pack up a cooler and not utilize the beach bars.

Any information on how beach chair rentals work would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just be SURE to "ASK" Before you SIT!!!!!
In the DR, they will SAY that if you eat, drink, or both at a beach bar, the chairs are free.
THEN, when you get the bill, it will say something like "Beach Chairs" 300 pesos.
When you complain, they will start the intimidation process!
Many tourist give in and pay.
THAT's why they intimidate you in the first place.
Be strong and refuse to pay, or just pay, it's your call!
ps, better see the menu prices before you eat or drink anything.
If you just say, "Two Beers Please", you may be surprised how much they will pad the bill.
Welcome to Paradise!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
First ask for the price of anything before you order is the best policy over here, also establish accurately what are you going to get at that price.

The ripping off tourist here is a past time and fun story to tell folks later and laugh, as poor tourists usually pay up, they now just trying it on all the time and on anyone, and expect to pull it off too !?

A poor soul a few months ago was invited to play domino at a bar in Sosua Playa (while he was drinking a beer there). He happily accepted, when he got up to leave there was a 500 peso extra added to the bill for purchasing a new domino game !!!??? Fortunately he refused and stood his ground and even the Politour (sorry, the stupid new name "Cestur" !? What a name !?) turned up, I don't know what happened exactly at the end, but I hope he didn't pay.....

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Sitting at the Tiki bar... end of street.. where Posada de Gladys is, costs 100 pesos per person, per day. that's the closest beach access for you. It's a good spot... minimal harassment from vendors. clean b/rooms. and a bar there. They cater a lunch for excursions there in the late afternoon, but you can still stay on the beach chairs. They might make a small discount deal for a week. you can walk down the beach to the bamboo bar / solas chill out bar area.. they don't charge a chair fee (last time I was there), but you'll be expected to order from the menu. none of the A.I.'s chairs will be available to you. I haven't heard of any rentals for beach chairs in el Cortecito. some will take personal chairs.. or towels or mats.. whatever, and sit on the sand with them. just ask the price at any of those places and you'll be treated fairly.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Check first is the unwritten rule

Always check the prices first for chairs and food. Then politely ask the providing person his/her name. If there is a price dispute it is a subtle way of warning them they will be the dispute target. If there is a food menu, write the prices of the things your ordered down. If you purchase beer, wine, or soda to consume over time keep the empty bottles handy. Do not let the staff clear them. There are some places that clear them and then pad the bill with extra beverage you did not order, done especially if you are soused :cross-eye.

Regards,

PJT

STL15

Mar 2, 2014
Thanks for the info. We always inquire as to pricing before ordering or plopping down, so that should not be a problem.

I just noticed that the condo has beach chairs and we have a car.

What are your favorite areas from Macao to Juanillo with food and drink? Can you pretty much just plant your chairs anywhere? Are the beaches public or owned by the AIs or restaurants?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
technically nobody owns the beaches, (from high tide mark to 50 meters back) they're free to all, but the AI's sometimes THINK they own them! as a tourist, with your own chair I don't think any of the AI security would bother you, as long as you stay off their property and off their chairs. ACCESS to the beach is another story.. the beach accesses are limited due to the resorts owning the property that fronts the beaches. Macao is my favorite so far, the beach and ocean (waves) are great, and the vista is unmatched, but it is rapidly changing and is a little different each time I'm on the island. Juanillo is now also a favorite. but to be honest, I also enjoy the beaches right there in el cortecito.

STL15

Mar 2, 2014
I see the public access points on the map. Are there places to park around the access points (near the old Pulpo Cojo, the Tiki Bar, or in Los Corales)?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There are places to park where EPC used to be (as of November when I left). That road that leads east to the beach look fairly public-access. Same for the road leading past Gladys' place up Alemania (near the tiki bar I think). There's also public parking access near Onno's and there are tables along the beach there too.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there's really no parking available by the tiki bar... but you would walk from arenas de bavaro anyway.. it's about t 5 - 8 minute walk

STL15

Mar 2, 2014
there's really no parking available by the tiki bar... but you would walk from arenas de bavaro anyway.. it's about t 5 - 8 minute walk

8 minutes might be a bit long lugging two chairs and a FULLY stocked cooler. Which brings up another question . . . is Presidente sold in cans anywhere?

Maybe I can drop the wife off and then walk up myself.