600 pesos for a small Presidente!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I learnt yesterday that our President Medina as part of his proclaimed aim to promote tourism in our island permits the concesionaiers at the airports to charge 600 peseos for a small Presidente beer. The logic of this escapes me can anyone explain?

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I know, I remember I saw at SQ at the Duty Free shop. It was for 6 pack beer at $600 peso OR $24.95

Aug 6, 2006
I never have understood why prices are so ridiculously high at every airport.

I have never bought anything but sandwiches at SDQ, and then only when I had to wait 15 hours for the next flight.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This has nothing to do with the government. The airports are operated by private companies (Aerodom for instance). They charge ridiculous amounts of money for a space.. For instance my brother and I were once talking to the managers at one of the little places in STI (They sell Dominican food, beer, juices, etc...) and we asked them the question as to how much they get charged a month. The answer? 300k pesos a month just in rent. This of course does not include the other expenses (Electricity, labor, etc). Our jaws dropped...I know there's lots of traffic, but honestly I cannot see how this little concession spot can make enough to stay in business.

BTW the rent in those spaces that are past security are supposedly even higher.

Food and drinks are always very expensive at any airport I've flown through. For instance once in Atlanta my bill came to 60 USD for a burger and two shots of Whisky. 600 pesos for ONE SMALL beer seems way out of line for The DR, though. I know at STI it costs around 300 pesos, but that's BEFORE security. I've never bought anything once past security.

Aug 6, 2006
I have often wondered who actually buys crap at duty-free shops. I once had a three hour layover in Brussels, and checked out a bunch of these shops. A pair of socks was $20, a necktie was $35, shirts that looked quite ordinary were $75, and that was in 2000. Even newspapers were selling for double the price printed on the front page.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ordered two hot dogs and a soda at the airport in Santo Domingo. many moons ago, maybe 2000. 13 bucks. i told the guy i did not want it. he said i had to pay for it. i told him i had not eaten it, nor did i plan to, at that price. he kicked and screamed, while i walked away.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The water situation at SDQ is what really bugs me. In every other airport in the world that I have been to you can find a water fountain to keep you from getting totally dehydrated while you wait for hours for your flight. At Santo Domingo you have to pay three dollars US for a bottle of water. For what you pay in airport fees, you should have free access to potable water and smoke free air.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
600 pesos for ONE SMALL beer seems way out of line for The DR, though. I know at STI it costs around 300 pesos, but that's BEFORE security. I've never bought anything once past security.

I am pretty sure I paid 200 pesos for a small Presidente past security in STI, just a couple of months ago. It was super cold too, so actually felt almost worth it.

May 29, 2006
I never have understood why prices are so ridiculously high at every airport.

I have never bought anything but sandwiches at SDQ, and then only when I had to wait 15 hours for the next flight.

My understanding is they charge the vendors a HUGE commission fee on top of rent. I think it can be as high as 50% gross depending on the product, and they still make money. Movie theaters gouge on popcorn and concession foods because they make next to nothing on the ticket revenues and very often, the mall they're in also wants a percentage on top of rent.

Where I work they complain about price on Yelp!. The rent is ridiculous and it gets passed on to the retail price at somewhere between 10-15% of gross sales.

I never buy anything at greedy airports, i prefer to die before i give my hard earned pesos to these thiefs.

Forogt to add an important detail. I always eat some multivitamins before i travel, this will remove any hunger.
It is named "animal pack" they sell them at most Gyms.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I have often wondered who actually buys crap at duty-free shops. I once had a three hour layover in Brussels, and checked out a bunch of these shops. A pair of socks was $20, a necktie was $35, shirts that looked quite ordinary were $75, and that was in 2000. Even newspapers were selling for double the price printed on the front page.

Hehehehehe......... Duty.....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This has nothing to do with the government. The airports are operated by private companies (Aerodom for instance). They charge ridiculous amounts of money for a space.. For instance my brother and I were once talking to the managers at one of the little places in STI (They sell Dominican food, beer, juices, etc...) and we asked them the question as to how much they get charged a month. The answer? 300k pesos a month just in rent. This of course does not include the other expenses (Electricity, labor, etc). Our jaws dropped...I know there's lots of traffic, but honestly I cannot see how this little concession spot can make enough to stay in business.

BTW the rent in those spaces that are past security are supposedly even higher.

Food and drinks are always very expensive at any airport I've flown through. For instance once in Atlanta my bill came to 60 USD for a burger and two shots of Whisky. 600 pesos for ONE SMALL beer seems way out of line for The DR, though. I know at STI it costs around 300 pesos, but that's BEFORE security. I've never bought anything once past security.

That seems pretty high to me! 300K pesos? That's over USD 6K! I rent a small office at POP airport to conduct my business in aircraft maintenance. it's 7sq meters and I pay USD 650 per month, plus electricity and a 10% charge on any profit I make. Ok, my office is on the ramp and not open to the public. But usually airside property attracts higher rates

Makes it hard to make a living. Especially as POP airport is DEAD in terms of traffic!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know, other airports do not seem so offensively and shamelessly ripping off the passengers. i only purchased something at POP airport once, maybe 5 years ago. a bottle of water, 75 pesos. this is beyond ridiculous. in europe i always have something to drink or eat at the airport, a coffee or something. no one else charges such outrageous prices (in comparison to regular shops). i'd rather drink tap water than let those thieves earn a peso from me. and i do not give a f**k who runs such pricing, the airport itself or the vendor, they should be flogged.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The OP doesn't mention the airport or if it was airside or ground side but in POP groundside a large Presidente is $5 US and a bottle of water around 50 pesos.Small coffee 50 pesos, large 70 pesos.Depends which kiosco but most are the same.
STI was about the same but 70 pesos for a small coffee.

(Try Gatwick's evil robber's empire.. ?20 odd for an almost inedible fish and chips and a small beer several years ago.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.