200 peso - 119 peso = 1881 peso ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
i had a question, when paying 200 peso for something that costs 119 peso are you supposed to get 1881 peso back???

well, it happened today to me in la sirena, girl had the time of her life talking to her co-workers, she made me think i was bothering her.

i gave her the 200 bill, i was minding my bb and then she wrote that i gave 2000 and man..

but what would you do?

a) keep the money also like i did

b) let her know that she made a mistake and be honest

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I had this happen to me once at the Pharmacy.. I am ususally completely honest and would return the money but in my case I think she was talking on her cell phone or something.. so yeah, if she was talking to her co workers and not paying attention to you .. then you did the right thing in keeping the money. Her drawer will come up short and she will soon enough figure out to pay attention. I kept the overage too.. first time I had EVER done that!

ACDC

Feb 10, 2014
so since you kept it. lunch is on your tomorrow, right? it is better to give than to receive. ijs! aC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i would've gave the money back if I knew before I left. It's way too much money for Dominicana. It's likely more then week pay. She will either get fired or she will not be able to get hair done, buy phone card and pay off colmador next entire week. It's not like we are in US where people make more then one bill note per week.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The difference will be deducted from her wages. Looks like that mistake could have cost her over a weeks pay :(

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just the opposite happened to me at Supermercado National.
I gave the girl 2,000 pesos, and she gave me the change for 200 pesos.
She too was talking to, and looking at, the next cashier.
I told her it was 2,000 not 200.
She sais that I was WRONG!
We called the supervisor, who said I should step aside, and let the people waitingin line check out, and THEN, she would close the register and make a count.
I said, NO, I ain't moving!
To make a long story short, I Was RIGHT, it was 2,000 pesos, NOT 200 pesos.
She handed me the correct change.
I asked if she wanted to say anything to me????
"No WHY"? she asked.
I said,.."How about,"Lo Siento"?????
KEEP THE MONEY!!!!!!!
Do you think she would have returned the overage to you?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Lesson I learned is never trust a DR1 poster.

Without a doubt, the money should have been given back to the cashier.

In exchanging money once at the money exchange I was given $8,000 pesos too much even though it was counted by both clerks. The error was because the amount to me was supposed to be $10,800 and both of them took it as $18,800. It took awhile for me to get them to realize their mistake. Both of them were really happy that I returned the money to them.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Stealing almost 2000 pesos from someone who earns 9000 pesos per month as a punishment for her talking to her colleague??

Besides that I think you should always be honest, this is even worse. But since you come here asking about it, you seem to know the answer yourself if it's the way to go our not.

Imagine we would have done the 300 euro deal you asked about and by accident your brother would have transferred 3000 euros instead of 300. Would you appreciate it if I would have just given you 18,000 pesos, because he should have been paying more attention?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Asking here in the forum repeatedly for favors / help and now this dishonest behavior to a girl that probably does not make more than 8,000 pesos a month shows me a lot about the OP.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You just stole 45 bucks or so. Hopefully now you need to borrow less than 300 euros you were previously asking, every little bit helps.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
i had a question, when paying 200 peso for something that costs 119 peso are you supposed to get 1881 peso back???

well, it happened today to me in la sirena, girl had the time of her life talking to her co-workers, she made me think i was bothering her.

i gave her the 200 bill, i was minding my bb and then she wrote that i gave 2000 and man..

but what would you do?

This story is ODD!!! because I just returned back from DR on a 4 day break and I exchanged around 1500USD to pesos and I receive a lot of 2000RD notes. Like every other time when I am in DR with a bunch of 2000RD notes Dominicans are very good at checking to see if the money is real or fake and the same thing happens in Costa Rica with colones . If you give a LARGE bill to Ticos and Dominicans they will STOP whatever they are doing to check and see if the money is real or fake. I have NEVER had a Dominican checker at La Sirena , Jumbo, Supermercado Nacional etc take a 2000RD notes and not check to see if it is real NEVER!!!

Also US note like a 10 dollar bill can easily look like a 20 dollar bill if you are distracted but a 200RD note is like NIGHT and DAY from a 2000RD note. A Dominican can be VERY distracted and they can tell a 200RD note from a 2000RD note because they two look so different.

Not saying it didn't happen but her talking to her friend had NOTHING to do with her giving you the wrong amount of change.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

but what would you do?

the question is;

what did you do?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am mean, dominican hatin' tacana but i pay attention to my money, even if someone else does not. few times i received incorrect change (both too much and too little) and i always corrected the cashier. i worked as a cashier myself when we had the pharmacy and yes, i had to pay the difference in the till with cold hard cash, unless i could find where i made a mistake (something was returned but the transaction was not cancelled for example).

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Who knows if the op believes in God?! That would be my last reason for giving the money back! You give it back bc it is the right thing to do not bc of some imaginary thing that has some people literally scared straight!

So true JMB ! I have never not had my 2000 note checked!

I would not say never but 9 out of 10. It happened to me couple of times in Bravo & Nacional.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
Stealing almost 2000 pesos from someone who earns 9000 pesos per month as a punishment for her talking to her colleague??

Besides that I think you should always be honest, this is even worse. But since you come here asking about it, you seem to know the answer yourself if it's the way to go our not.

Imagine we would have done the 300 euro deal you asked about and by accident your brother would have transferred 3000 euros instead of 300. Would you appreciate it if I would have just given you 18,000 pesos, because he should have been paying more attention?

nice one, the thing one should understand that at the end of the day la sirena has to cover the cost, not her.

i mean if this happened to the guy who was selling me apples or bananas i wouldn't go for it because he's on his own.

and like the post of cc, they wouldn't tell you neither..

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Who knows if the op believes in God?! That would be my last reason for giving the money back! You give it back bc it is the right thing to do not bc of some imaginary thing that has some people literally scared straight!

So true JMB ! I have never not had my 2000 note checked!

Yeah I know and it is not just in DR if you give anyone a 100 dollar bill at any store in the USA they will check that bill. I think it is store policy.

Dominicans are very good at taking money, but giving money away NOT A CHANCE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.