Apple TV - goodbye Claro TV

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just bought Apple TV last week. I wish I would have done this earlier. Watching Netflix from USA, Mexico or Netherlands, watching all the dutch public programs and most of the commercial channels from the Netherlands as well. Getting rid of Claro TV and will get a 10MB internet connection.

Jan 17, 2009
I have an Apple TV which I got as a present, and later bought a Roku for my bedroom. Boy do I regret having purchased a Roku. It's a terrible user experience compared to the Apple TV. You may get a few more channels but it's a pain in the butt to navigate, plus no ethernet port (in my model at least) and a horrible interface.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Thanks to the OP for the post. I was wondering if my Apple TV would work in the DR. I'm bringing it with me when i move.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It works with Dominican IP (Netflix Mexico), iTunes movies, (in my case) Dutch streaming content and for US and European Netflix I use unotelly (I preferred the Apple TV over google chromecast because it lets you change DNS servers ad the chromecast doesn't). I must add that the unotelly thing doesn't work flawless on the Apple TV. It seems they are working on that.

Btw, they are selling Apple TV at Office Depot in SD for 5400 pesos, which is not bad, in Miami I paid 105 dollars incl. tax. I just don't know if it is the newest model that allows you to mirror the screen of your iPad or iPhone.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It doesn't matter where in the world your Apple TV is, it's your iTunes account that it logs into which determines the content. I have a UK iTunes account, so my Apple TV always gives me the UK options. And your iTunes account is determined by where your bank account is. So to get a US iTunes account, you need a US bank account.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It doesn't matter where in the world your Apple TV is, it's your iTunes account that it logs into which determines the content. I have a UK iTunes account, so my Apple TV always gives me the UK options. And your iTunes account is determined by where your bank account is. So to get a US iTunes account, you need a US bank account.

Not in case of Netflix. That depends on your IP.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Golden Frog

I have used this for a few years. It is not for most as the price I pay is $15 per month. But it can put you literally anywhere in the World as an IP. And the speed is not compromised.