Looking for bread flour in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have the same problem - can't find bread flour, and my bread machine HATES Dominican 'Milano' flour. All the bread falls flat :-(

So while you're offering him bread flour in Santiago, can some kind soul tell me where I can find it in San Cristobal or Santo Domingo?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check bravo (in both locations). in SD also carrefour, they have many types of flour. if you must use dominican flour use princessita, this is most similar to bread flour. blanquita is crap, good for cakes only. the alternative is to buy flour from any bakery, they may be able to sell you a bag. but be prepared to buy minimum 5 or 10 pounds.

la sirena in POP has health food section, i presume it must be the same in other cities. they have some imported flour there, regular section is just useless.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Making Bread

Anyone seen bread flour in Santiago. Regular flour is OK but bread flour works better for me.

What is 'bread flour'? :confused:
I know there is wheat and rye flour which can both used for making bread.
(There is special wheat flour to make pizza.)

For my Bavarian sour dough bread I use RYE flour* (type 997) and mix it with about 30% of wheat flour.

donP

*)
You cannot buy it in local stores... :lick:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la sirena in POP has rye flour now! modest price of 252 pesos per pound. :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Very interesting.
Please post photo.
donP

i cannot be bothered to take a snap of the very bag i have in the fridge so i just googled the brand. this is the one they have in la sirena:

kd4j8j.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bob's Red Mill is a great brand of natural grains dv8, I've never seen it here, but I do buy it in the US. Not cheap there either! Good stuff!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they have few types of their flour in la sirena. wholewheat, rye, potato and something else.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have the same problem - can't find bread flour, and my bread machine HATES Dominican 'Milano' flour. All the bread falls flat :-(

So while you're offering him bread flour in Santiago, can some kind soul tell me where I can find it in San Cristobal or Santo Domingo?

Dominican flour is chalk dust. it cannot rise. you cannot make any baked goods with it. i have no idea what it is good for. maybe pan de agua, perhaps. wasted some perfectly good Fleischmanns on it, trying to make English Muffins. what a joke!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
they have few types of their flour in la sirena. wholewheat, rye, potato and something else.

I've learned that not all La Sirenas are created equally. The one in San Cristobal has ONE flour - Milano. Available in several sizes though, haha. I've never even seen a 'health/organic' section there, but I will look again next trip. Maybe it's hiding somewhere.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've learned that not all La Sirenas are created equally. The one in San Cristobal has ONE flour - Milano. Available in several sizes though, haha. I've never even seen a 'health/organic' section there, but I will look again next trip. Maybe it's hiding somewhere.

Milano is flour?

thanks for telling me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no wonder bizcocho dominicano is crap, eh? health section in la sirena in POP is in sweets and cookies aisle. it's an interesting placement, i guess. so maybe you are not looking in the right places, AE? ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's a brand, blue and white package, don't bother, it's useless.

i know the thing. white, blue, and a little yellow on the bag. i tried making some cookies with it once, and they came out like a bunch of saucers. phooey.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
no wonder bizcocho dominicano is crap, eh? health section in la sirena in POP is in sweets and cookies aisle. it's an interesting placement, i guess. so maybe you are not looking in the right places, AE? ;)

That's the story of my life :p

I'll let you know if I find it, you could be right, because I don't buy cookies and sweets, I may have passed it by without even looking.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i know the thing. white, blue, and a little yellow on the bag. i tried making some cookies with it once, and they came out like a bunch of saucers. phooey.

Exactly - last week I made a batch of Nestles Toll House Cookies with that flour. They looked like little pancakes. Tasted okay, but crispy instead of chewy. :-(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use blanquita flour to make kinda sweet bread with raisins for miesposo's family. i would not touch it with a stick but they love it.