Taxi Cabs in Puerto Plata

Edit06

Mar 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend ad I will be visiting Puerto Plata next week and were wondering what was the best taxi service to use from the airport to our hotel. I would really like to avoid being cheated or in some sort of danger for not taking the proper precautions.

Jan 17, 2009
It's not different than in most countries. Grab an airport cab. Once you're outdoors in the terminal, walk straight through and you'll see a small Taxi stand with a huge sign with the rates by destination. That's what you pay, for the cab and not per person (plus tip).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes and the "Taxi permit" to pick up passenger at this international terminal is worth for a couple Tens Thousand Dollars...

It was about a Million RD pesos when I left the country in 2008.

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't tip airport cab drivers, they are already ripping you off as it is.

topdeckgames

Oct 26, 2011
Hold up a 1000 peso note for a fare to Puerto Plata, and you will probably get a bite. They will all point to their tariff board, but ignore it. I don't doubt the cost of the licenses, but if the allowed competition they would be much cheaper. It is the Taxi Mafia, after all.

Jan 17, 2009
Sure, tipping is no obligation, but you certainly don't know if the driver is an employee or the cab owner. I won't feel compelled to tip owners but do with employees making a miserable salary.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm a big tipper usually but I would not tip airport taxis a peso! Total rip off prices!!

Do you conciser US $100. Dollars a lot of money for a taxi fee from STI / Sosua?

Mountain road going through Jamao/ Cabarete is 80 Km. taking the longer route though Santiago city is 100. km = 62.5 Ml.

Here in the US one single mile is worth for 2.50 without any other extra charge.

Just think about this and make conclusions!

Oh, let me add that a tourist in a different country may be graceful for the free bodyguard service the taxi driver serve (in the DR) yes they will fight to death in order to take you safely to your destination.

Most DR taxi drivers are heavy armed!

JJ

Last edited:
Do you conciser US $100. Dollars a lot of money for a taxi fee from STI / Sosua?

Mountain road going through Jamao/ Cabarete is 80 Km. taking the longer route though Santiago city is 100. km = 62.5 Ml.

Here in the US one single mile is worth for 2.50 without any other extra charge.

Just think about this and make conclusions!

Oh, let me add that a tourist in a different country may be graceful for the free bodyguard service the taxi driver serve (in the DR) yes they will fight to death in order to take you safely to your destination.

Most DR taxi drivers are heavy armed!

JJ

I won't tip people here where locals or people who live here don't tip! The price that they wanted to charge to get me to GH was around $75 -$100 can't remember exactly but I will not pay that, ridiculous price! So if I had to pay that one day no way in hell would I tip.

If i was on vacay I would tip but I am not and the fees from the airport are just stupid! It is not like NA from what I have read about it, peeps generally say they don't tip taxi's.

This IS NOT the US, obviously I would tip there!!