Washing machine and spinner

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Ok, so im use to my front load Energy efficient washing machine and dryer. Yes a dryer thats drys untill you can actually wear your clothes right away . Lol

Ill be moving to DR in 3 months. And ive been talking to my bf on the washing machine we will have. So. The washer on one side and secadora on the other. Basicly a freaken spinner on the outside .

You all know what im talking about ... So my question is

How do you use it. Fill it with water. And use that water for more than one load? And slowly take stuff out and put in the spinner. Then Hang it in the sun?

A regular washer like here would use too much water right?

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I dont want a dryer. Id like to know how do those washers work. Id figure it out once i get there. But i never used one so thats why i have questions. And how is fabric softener being used ? If it is

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
throw this s**t away. it's no use. you wash stuff on one side, get the water out, rinse, get the water out, put few things in the spin side that will fit just few pieces of clothing at one time. it's f**king work. take a machete at that crap, burn it down, throw it off the cliff. just get a normal washing machine. yes, it's more expensive but less time consuming. and guess what, you will be the one spending all god damn day doing this, not your bf. so first thing to do after arrival is to run it over with a car. train making apologetic faces in front of the mirror so you manage to look remotely sad about this loss.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Lolol. Alright. Cause im the type of girl. Throw it in wait for the bell. Take it out put in deyer and wait an hour. Im aware it will take time for laundry. The machine is not bought yet. So ill hope and make him see the nice side or getting a regular one :)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You must be talking about a cheap semi automatic washer that poor Dominicans tend to have. You put the clothes in, fill the tank with water from a hose, add detergent, press a button to start the motor. Once it stops, press another button to drain the tank, the refill with clean water using the hose again, press a button, wait, drain the tank. Move wet clothes into the next compartment, the spinner, press a button to spin. Voila. Hang the clothes to dry.

Thats how I remember it, - once had to do a load in a rental apt that had this type of washer and it took me all day because I would walk away after each step and remember 2 hours later etc. you will not like it, just buy a real washer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know people will b**ch about me b**ching about them washing machines. listen, life in DR ain't easy and trust me that it's small things that will get you the most. small, daily events that run smooth where you come from and require work and effort in DR. the power is crap. i do laundry when i have power to run the washing machine. in the meantime i also work, make lunch and do lots of other stuff. i have no time to stand over washing machine all day. you can pay someone few hundred pesos to do it for you, sure. but depending on the area you will live in the power situation may not allow you this. sometimes i have power all day, sometimes not. so i rotate laundry days. and this few hundred pesos for the laundry spent each week will pay for a better machine.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I bought an energy efficient washing machine - brand: LG at Plaza Lama in Santiago around 8 years ago.
It is electronic, front loaded , heats the water and it has a dryer included. Very good washing machine. I paid around 1000 US for the machine and it is still going strong in spite of the many electrical problems we have had during the last years.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Get a regular type washer here. They are more expensive than the crap your bf is talking about but they do a good job and when you pull your clothes out they will be pretty close to dry already. Mine even has a softener tray thingy. The way dominicans do it will wear u out. Clothes go in a large plastic wash bin, then after hand washing they go in to the washer agitator, then the centrifuge then out to the line. I bought a whirlpool. We wash clothes once a week. Takes about two hours to wash and the rest of the day to dry. We hang ours in the maids quarters. My buddy who lives here has the type you are talking about. He spends half his life washing clothes.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Good to know. So ill try finding in a compra vente a regular washer. I dont want to spend on something new since we never know of the situation can be right off the bat. Maybe in time ill upgrade

My bf works 12 hours a day so i know ill be the one doing the laundry. And on my arrival i wont have much more to do. But i dont wanna get frustrated and fight over a old school washer spinner crap.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
in my apt we have the washer dryer combo that's popular for apts. washer on bottom... dryer on top. just like regular machines, but smaller and stacked on top of each other. works great. maybe that type would work for you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few warnings: do not buy a combo washer/dryer. drying clothes costs money. a lot. and in wet season we use it all the time. this is why we bought a dryer that works with gas. cheap and cheerful. front loading LG mentioned earlier costs about 80k pesos now. get a large machine, american top leading. you will be happy. peace of mind has its worth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with dv8. We bought a regular Kenmore washer at La Sirena about 3-4 years ago, and it's great. I don't let the housekeeper touch it.

We gave that horrible ghetto washed away and bought a regular one as well. If we had room in the laundry area we would have a dryer too. Next place we move to a dryer will be a MUST! I hate the waiting for stuff to dry then it rains and you have to wait another day!!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few things i insist when it comes to appliance is no fuss washing machine and bottom freezer fridge. both are expensive. wtf? i could never understand that. although i partially gave up on the washing machine as european, programmable front loaders may give lots of issues here, with crappy power/water arrangements.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A mid-way option would be a smaller digital (as in the controls are digital) washer. It's slightly bigger than the washer with side spinner option and smaller than your typical Kenmore/LG-type washer and less expensive but it has only 1 drum and does it all for you. They don't last as long though and don't leave it outside (I learned that lesson). I had a washer with the side spinner for several years and it was the most annoying thing possible. As soon as I was able to afford it I bought myself a "real" washer and almost threw a party to welcome it home.

Last edited:

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Problem is if you get a full sized washer it probably won't fit balanced on the back of your pasola. You cannot take it to loan to a friend to do her laundry!

lolol. im sure we can make it fit plus 3 people and a bag of rice, come on, you gotta make it all fit in one trip. lol

he has a jeepeta. and no vecina will do her laundry at my place . i can be friendly but dont abuse.

loan it to a friend..... it will become her washer in no time

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
few warnings: do not buy a combo washer/dryer. drying clothes costs money. a lot. and in wet season we use it all the time. this is why we bought a dryer that works with gas. cheap and cheerful. front loading LG mentioned earlier costs about 80k pesos now. get a large machine, american top leading. you will be happy. peace of mind has its worth.
We have a combo washer/dryer of which the washer works with electricity and the dryer with gas. I seems to work fine. Unfortunately the washer doesn't heat the water, but that can be solved with a instant heater.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
We have a automatic whirlpool and they now love it. At first they didn't trust it and were constantly trying to open it during the wash and damaged a locking mechanisim. Got that fixed under warranty. Now they put the cloths in and wait for the lights to tell them it is done. You do need decent water preasure to make them work properly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Kitty Kat
Go to Sears Outlet in Canada and get a scratch 'n dent front load..... ship it here -- and ship one for the deviate

they use less water and the spin cycle is so good that drying is rapido....

thats what we did.....