Live in Maid/Nanny

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I am moving from the campo to the 'big city'(Sosua/Cab area) and am going to need a live in maid/nanny. I'd like her to work 48 hours a week Monday through Friday and have weekends off. A drivers license would be great, but not necessary.

How much should I expect to pay. Currently I am paying 75 pesos and hour for a part time nanny. Would 100 an hour (RD$17,000 a month) with room and board be enough, too much?

Where do I find such a person? Out here in the sticks, I just walk to the colmado and ask if anyone wants a job!

I'd really prefer not to go through an agency...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I am moving from the campo to the 'big city'(Sosua/Cab area) and am going to need a live in maid/nanny. I'd like her to work 48 hours a week Monday through Friday and have weekends off. A drivers license would be great, but not necessary.

How much should I expect to pay. Currently I am paying 75 pesos and hour for a part time nanny. Would 100 an hour (RD$17,000 a month) with room and board be enough, too much?

Where do I find such a person? Out here in the sticks, I just walk to the colmado and ask if anyone wants a job!

Sounds like you are gonna overpay big time. Sosua folk don't get payed squat!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I would STRONGLY recommend that you DON'T allow a stranger sleep in your home...............
ONLY hire someone that comes highly recommended...............

If you have to wait for a recommendation..........then wait........
Your safety comes first........

B in Santiago

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
A'right, live in is not a good idea.... Where do I find someone who could come M-F?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A'right, live in is not a good idea.... Where do I find someone who could come M-F?

There are many dr1'ers that reside in your new area...........
Wait a little bit, you will probably get a few recommendations from them.......
I didn't say live in is not a good idea, just someone that comes with references...........
NOBODY should be in your home that is not referred.........
That goes for live in or not live in............

B in Santiago

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Getting leads

Get references. But, please note that even references can be a wee bit corrupted as people like to say good things; do not like to bad mouth neighbors, especially to an outsider. Suggest going to a church and speak with the priest or some of the faithful at the church to get some leads.

Regards,

PJT

Recommendations from someone you trust is the most important thing ever here especially if this person is taking care of your kid. I barely trust any locals to take
care of my dogs! I don't let any of them take care of
my Canadian chihuahua O/N! not sure I would let them take care of my kid. Many do not
watch their own kids!

Yes I am a psycho over protector of my furry babies!

The idiot I bought my house from said the maid who came with the house was great...ya not so
much now we are stuck with her!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
10k pesos plus room and food is good enough. throw in paying for her transport to get home for weekends and that sounds good to me. but then i pay like a dominican and not like gringo...

Apr 13, 2011
I agree with dv8 on the amount. But I would start by asking/looking for a maid at 8000 pesos per month - and then if she has good references and seems like she could be a good worker, then you can tell her that you are willing to pay 10,000 pesos per month - and include room and food - that should get you Monday through Friday and Saturday morning.

It is up to you if you give money for her transport home. I have not, because I got burned in the past, it lead to asking for money for transport to the doctor, then transport to campo, then transport to etc, etc. It may only be little money, but it adds up over time, especially when you do not plan on it (or have a way to plan for it).

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

At 17k a month with roam and board I'm considering quitting my day job and moving out to the beach.. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with dv8 on the amount. But I would start by asking/looking for a maid at 8000 pesos per month - and then if she has good references and seems like she could be a good worker, then you can tell her that you are willing to pay 10,000 pesos per month - and include room and food - that should get you Monday through Friday and Saturday morning.

It is up to you if you give money for her transport home. I have not, because I got burned in the past, it lead to asking for money for transport to the doctor, then transport to campo, then transport to etc, etc. It may only be little money, but it adds up over time, especially when you do not plan on it (or have a way to plan for it).

I think this is right on the money, pardon the pun.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
no, DV8, you pay like an eastern european! ;)

10k pesos plus room and food is good enough. throw in paying for her transport to get home for weekends and that sounds good to me. but then i pay like a dominican and not like gringo...