road charges for entering SD are up

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You got this a little wrong it is an increase from 30 to 100, more than 200% up!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait, no you are correct! it was 30 only once and now it will be 50 each way.
(sorry for being dumb :( )

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
same for the new toll road north -- as I left el Catey this week I caught the sign quickly --507 pesos is the new toll.

It was 407 approx.

25% increase --- double check me dv8..... that's each way

~ R/T now 1010 pesos up from 815

maybe somebady can confirm - as I said, I just caught the sign as I passed , almost missed it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm, could it be another trick of danilo tha saviour? announce increase in the prices and then pretend to listen to the peublo and the voices of padres de familia and announce with much publicity that the government loves its minions and will block such unlawful, indecent practices?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Toll on 6 de Nov coming out of Santo Domingo was still 30 pesos today.

they announced the increase but sans start date, as of yet. which is why it sounds like the plan to make marbete depend on the value of the car that caused such outrage the government backed off. maybe papa danilo will show he listens to his his pueblo baby and scrap the idea of increased peaje. or maybe i'm a cynical, rotten minded b**ch.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Time to sign up for Paso R?pido. No need to take out any cash because the little machine makes an automatic deduction to your Paso R?pido account, which you can "refill" online.

They are offering new services along the toll highways, such as "free" assistance for anyone that needs it. Supposedly the number one reason people call for assistance is due to running out of gas. They will also help you change the tires or any other issue that may arise. It is free on the spot, but there's a reason tolls are much more expensive now.

They are also keeping a closer vigilance along the toll highways, especially on the new ones, to prevent the unchecked "development" that has ruined the initial function of some of the older highways (see la Duarte and la Balaguer as reference of they are attempting to prevent).

They are promising much more frequent maintenance for the toll highways. This isn't the first time this has been promised, but lets see what happens.

I don't doubt this will be follow through while Danilo is in charge, the question is what will happen once he is out, especially if another political party rises to power.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The funny thing is always when leaving SD towards the east that once you paid the toll the highway becomes horrible ad dangerous until past Boca Chica. I know they want the toll of everybody going to te airport and Caucedo, but please use the money to get all these idiots crossing the highway between Las Americas and Boca Chica, or drive it on their motorcycles in the opposite direction to use some parallel road and keep the highway for the toll paying traffic.

A raise from 30 to 100 is ridiculous though. I heard the toll way to samana went up from 1200 to 1800.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I am confused, are they chargimg both way now or its still one way but 30 to 50 (still cheap in my opinion.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have driven on the new highway to Punta Cana a few times, and as far as I'm concerned, whatever they charge is good value. It really is a joy to drive on these new roads, particularly compared to the awful mess you had before.

But these new roads have to be paid for, much better to charge the motorists more and leave more tax for the government to spend on important things like education and healthcare. I know a lot of you are going to say that the government is corrupt and the money won't work like that, but I'm a big fan of Danilo and I think he's doing a lot of good stuff. And if we all want things like new roads, we have to be prepared to pay for them.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
No I'm not American, I'm from the UK. I'm quite unusual on DR1 because I actually quite like living here, I run a business which is doing really well, and most of my friends are Dominican and they are mainly nice people. Maybe I just lucked out.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Officials says higher tolls needed to maintain roads, build new ones

Santo Domingo.- Public Works minister Gonzalo Castillo on Friday said the government has to increase tolls because it needs funds to maintain roads and build new ones.

Gonzalo had announced the higher tolls in Greater Santo Domingo’s four plazas -from RD$30 to RD$50- to exit and the same amount to return.

The official also said public works provides assists motorists and protect s all roads, and called highway robberies or assaults on buses “a thing of the past.”

He said president Danilo Medina had ordered not to charge the higher tax on license plates approved in 2012 , and raise the tolls instead. "That's a fairer tax because only those who use the roads will pay the toll."

"In the end we’re not taking anything from those who use the roads, but giving something, because if we economize something for someone it’s only fair that they pay something," Castillo said.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...tolls-needed-to-maintain-roads-build-new-ones

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
But many people are discontented:THE INCREASE IN TOLL RATES IS ABUSIVE

Public Works announced it will increase tolls.

Carriers of freight and passengers described as abusive Friday the toll increase announced yesterday by the Ministry of Public Works. The groups also reject the measure, warning that it will not stand idly by the decision to collect tolls in both directions.

Asking President Danilo Medina to rescind the hike in tolls announced by Minister of Public Works, Gonzalo Castillo.

It was decided by: the Blas Peralta, Dominican Dominican Transport Federation (Fenatrado), Arsenio Quevedo, of the National Union of Transport and Allied Workers (Unatrafin), Antonio Marte, of the National Confederation of Transport (Conatra), Alfredo Pulinario, Central Movements Transport Drivers (Mochotran) and John Mars, the National Transport Workers' Central (CNTT) .

They said that many trucks, cars, trucks working in the public and freight transport will have to be removed from service because their owners will not be able to continue with the increases in tolls.

The owner of Public Works announced an increase to $ 50 one way and $ 50 back on the four toll connecting with Santo Domingo, equivalent to an increase of $ 70 to the price of tolls, as previously only paid $ 30, so as the way around.

Measuring Public Works, which has not reported the date of its execution, will cover highway tolls to/from Americas, Duarte, November 6 and Carretera Sanchez.

Quevedo Unatrafin understands that the decision of Public Works should be removed, because it hurts carriers, specifically those who must cross several times a day through tolls, such as traveling to Villa Altagracia, Boca Chica, Haina, San Cristobal, Bani, Azua, and other communities near the capital.

The associations of freight and passengers said meetings convened with its members to analyze the situation and take action if they do not discontinue the toll increases.

Creen abusivo aumento en tarifas peajes -

Last edited: