New revamped Bahoruco Beach Resort - jumpstarting the tourism in the southwest

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
As many of you may have read (or heard) the old Barcelo Bahoruco Beach Resort was "acquired" by Contructora Castillo & Asocs. belonging to the Minister of Public Works Gonzalo Castillo. They are rapidly renovating the old and abanonded hotel, and it is scheduled to re-open to the public in August of 2014 (or so I hear), I also hear from the locals that Felix Bautista is one of the investors and it seems they are doing this in an effort to jump start the tourism in the south west.

To help achieve this the ministry of PW (Obras P?blicas) is also revamping the highway to Barahona, which will reduce the travel time to Barahona from 3 hours to 1 1/2 hours, bypassing the cities of Bani and Azua and making it 4 lanes when it was only 2 lanes when you approach the mountains between Azua and Barahona.

The locals towns of Bahoruco and Cienaga surrounding the hotel will also get a face wash and rumors are running wild that the government will declare "public utility" the coast strip between Barahona and Cienaga and people who live on the beach will be bought out to build a boulevard along the coast, they say those people from the beach will be relocated to a new "barrio" which will be built for them, wishful thinking? maybe, but it's not a bad idea.

One thing I can say for sure, Danilo who is from San Juan, and Gonzalo Castillo, who is from Barahona, are certainly working diligently to make sure the "deep south" or sur profundo doesn't seem that remote any more and that if there's any chance to make it the 4th tourist pole in DR, it will be now or never.

PS: I met with Gonzalo Castillo, minister of PW to discuss the possibility of declaring the coast of Bahoruco "utilidad p?blica" and he promised me that that won't happen, they are planning to "clean out" the beach since the people who live there (majority) still have old huts and outhouses (letrinas) and you cannot have tourists walking the beach and seeing all that dirt and garbage.

Any thoughts or input anyone?

Aug 6, 2006
When is the highway supposed to be finished?

Only Caribetours will get you to Barahona in around 3? hours. Everyine else, lacking bathrooms on their buses and guaguas, makes a potty and lunch stop at Cruce de Ocoa.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The highway should be finished soon as they are working hard on it but I don't know a definite date, and yes, the potty stop and lunch at Cruce de Ocoa is a tradition, my father used to stop there when we were little on our way to Barahona but I don't stop there now for the same reason, too many buses and too crowded, of course I always drive to Barahona so I usually stop for snacks or don't stop at all.

For those driving to the southwest a good stop is Panader?a Caobany in Bani, they have the best fresh bread, cakes, sandwiches and good capuccino (as good as you can get from a Nescafe machine), not a place to sit and eat but to get a snack and continue driving.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We were there last weekend, stayed at Casa Bonita but drove around a lot. We went into Bahoruco and saw them working on the hotel, Mr. AE stopped and talked to one of the guards at the gate, who said they've been working on it steadily for a week or more. Huge property. And yes, we were told Felix the Cat is very involved.

We ate at a little hole-in-the-wall place in Cienaga, ocean side of the road, food was fabulous, and the presentation surprised me! Owner used to work at Rancho Platon and Casa Bonita. I hope they don't tear down his place.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Was the "hole on the wall" close to the bridge in Cienaga? I have a house in Bahoruco which I visit once a month or two, I'm always on the lookout for "inexpensive" places to eat even though I have a local lady who cooks all our meals, restaurant Luz in Bahoruco is my favorite, besides she's a family friend, nevertheless she's the best cook in the southwest and she'll cook for you a la carte :)

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
We have heard the same about the hotel and have seen the works going on there and the highways to the Southwest. It is evident that a big push is on to prepare the south for investments and ecotourism.

One of our funcionario neighbors keep harping about Polo being the next Jarabacoa, and I don't doubt it;

“De Baoruco, nos vamos a mover a Barahona, donde vamos a construir 50 kil?metros de caminos vecinales, entre los que se encuentran Arroyo Dulce-Polo, Para?so-Polo para desarrollar un eje ecol?gico que pueda impulsar el desarrollo tur?stico de la zona amen de otros caminos productivos”, subray?."

Ecos del Sur: BARAHONA: Gonzalo Castillo supervisa trabajos de caminos vecinales de Independencia y Baoruco.

Aug 6, 2006
The highway should be finished soon as they are working hard on it but I don't know a definite date, and yes, the potty stop and lunch at Cruce de Ocoa is a tradition, my father used to stop there when we were little on our way to Barahona but I don't stop there now for the same reason, too many buses and too crowded, of course I always drive to Barahona so I usually stop for snacks or don't stop at all.

For those driving to the southwest a good stop is Panader?a Caobany in Bani, they have the best fresh bread, cakes, sandwiches and good capuccino (as good as you can get from a Nescafe machine), not a place to sit and eat but to get a snack and continue driving.
===================================================
The number of customers varies a lot, depending on how many buses stop there. In the center of the counter, there is a desk, usually occupied by a Chinese guy. Above the desk is a portrait of Chairman Mao, labelled in Chinese. I find Mao's picture as a sort of Saint of Commerce, to be amusing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Was the "hole on the wall" close to the bridge in Cienaga? I have a house in Bahoruco which I visit once a month or two, I'm always on the lookout for "inexpensive" places to eat even though I have a local lady who cooks all our meals, restaurant Luz in Bahoruco is my favorite, besides she's a family friend, nevertheless she's the best cook in the southwest and she'll cook for you a la carte :)

Coming from Barahona, it's just before the gas station. If you blink you will miss it. I happen to have his business card, because he was trying to get my husband 4 dozen bulgao. The place is called Snack Cana, they only sell fish dishes. Phone # is 829-942-4960. There's a small bar, and only 3 tables, we liked it so much that we went back the next day for seconds.

If I remember correctly, was 100 pesos for a lambi vinigrette entrada, and 400 pesos for a lobster alla parrilla. Both delicious.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
We have heard the same about the hotel and have seen the works going on there and the highways to the Southwest. It is evident that a big push is on to prepare the south for investments and ecotourism.

One of our funcionario neighbors keep harping about Polo being the next Jarabacoa, and I don't doubt it;

?De Baoruco, nos vamos a mover a Barahona, donde vamos a construir 50 kil?metros de caminos vecinales, entre los que se encuentran Arroyo Dulce-Polo, Para?so-Polo para desarrollar un eje ecol?gico que pueda impulsar el desarrollo tur?stico de la zona amen de otros caminos productivos?, subray?."

Ecos del Sur: BARAHONA: Gonzalo Castillo supervisa trabajos de caminos vecinales de Independencia y Baoruco.

Ufff it will take time to make Polo another Jarabacoa, maybe something similar but not the same, Gonzalo Castillo is BArahonero and wants the best for Barahona, let's hope he can accomplish plenty before his term is over.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Coming from Barahona, it's just before the gas station. If you blink you will miss it. I happen to have his business card, because he was trying to get my husband 4 dozen bulgao. The place is called Snack Cana, they only sell fish dishes. Phone # is 829-942-4960. There's a small bar, and only 3 tables, we liked it so much that we went back the next day for seconds.

If I remember correctly, was 100 pesos for a lambi vinigrette entrada, and 400 pesos for a lobster alla parrilla. Both delicious.

Ok it's on the main road I think I know the place, I will try it when I go back, I'm planning to go back for semana santa if I don't go before that...

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
IMO, The beauty of the southwest is unsurpassed. Variety of the landscapes are incredible. The issue is and always will be the lack of surrounding overall infrastructure and a "wonder beach" to make all those "dreams" come true. Punta Cana and Northcoast beaches trump the beaches in the southwest (but for the beaches close to Pedernales). Tourists do not want to fly to a destination to ride a bus "for hours" to lay on beaches of rocks and pebbles. You can talk Barahona airport all you want but those of you who watched that international airport built will be able to remember that in all the millions spent in its construction that there were NO commercial flights that lasted longer than "minutes"....and thats when they had the beautiful newly contructed Rivera Hotel sitting right on top of it (which is now a dump...,.)
IN COUNTRY tourism....ok...try to make the case. Small pockets of eco tourists...ok...make the case for small beautiful locations like Casa Bonita, etc. However, I am more than confident that if the Barahuco property is truly being renovated to a world class resort then they most assuredely are not counting on folks from the capitol flocking in droves to Barahona to keep the hotel full........

Feb 15, 2005
There are a slew of problems in the Southwest that many are already aware of. First of them being the airport.
Maria Montez has one major flaw in that it was designed for small crafts. Therefore does not have the runway length, but more importantly, their fuel tanks are above ground, strictly prohibited where large crafts land/depart.
So this requires transfers and most frequent fliers will not transfer flights to there. Major airlines also need 1200 keys total (hotel rooms) to even consider it a destination.
In comparison and due to the overwhelming growth, Las Terrenas and throughout the Samana Peninsula, Jet Blue opened operations during the last few years.

For now, it actually WOULD require locals and those visitors from abroad, that enjoy venturing out to discover the island.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Barahona airport

Not sure where you are getting your info from but the Barahona airport has one of the longest runways in the country. I am sure that the C130?s landing with medical supplies are not considered SMALL by any means.

kFrancis

Aug 6, 2006
There was a much shorter landing field before they completed the Maria Montez. It looks very long on Google.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
According to World Aero Data and other sites, the runway @ BRX, 12/30 is 9843 feet long. The Santiago airport runway 11/29 @ STI is shorter. I have flown into BRX and it is a decent, quiet airport (until the tourists start showing up).

Feb 15, 2005
You what I find fascinating? That I was wrong in the length of the runway. Since I'm never wrong, it's a very unique feeling.

Aug 6, 2006
What tourists?

Barahona has no sizable number of tourists. There are a few missionaries and occasionally the Peace Corps has a meeting in the Parque Central.

The scenery is spectacular. The main drawbacks are that the beaches are mostly pebble beaches, rather than sand, and the sea is very rough, at least along the beaches that have the best access.