Dominicans know strange stuff!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A woman, complete stranger just came to me stopped popped her head through the door and told me to take my child out of the sun as it would make her ill. My daughter was playing quite contently with her little friend down by the pigs pen which I would have thought might be more of a reason for her concern if any. I went on to tell her a bit of colour wouldnt do her any harm, and she replied that the sun at this time of year brought about fever.................which is news to me, maybe someone could clarify this for me.........

There are many more strange concepts amonst these weirdos, maybe you could tell me about them.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Maybe she was referring to sun poisoning, from too much exposure and you do get a fever with that.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
MR HUG. She offered very sound advice. Ultraviolnt light (the sun) is probably the number 1 causation of skin cancers.Both basal cell and later melanoma. Sun exposure has a cumulative effect. Meaning the more you get when you're younger the more time the exposure has to do damage.
The more fair the skin and light colored eyes the more susceptible one is to skin cancer.
SPF 50 here on the Island all the time on exposed skin.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I got one for you.........

Have you ever heard the salon ladies state they refuse to wash a customers hair themselves then blow dry it? They get a another employee to wash the hair.

Something about the cold to then the heat...they fear they will get paralyzed. WTF!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Our maid never would let the children play outside in the afternoon because the sun was shining. I never understood that very well, when will they play then, when it's raining, but maybe those of us coming from a much colder climate don't realize the harm the sun can do, not only on the skin, but just the immediate effects of playing in the blistering sun.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
They know nothing of skin cancer. Being in the rain causes the grippe, sugar scattered outside your businesses attracts customers, vodoo is real, they have seen a dead person come back to life, and many more superstitions common among people who are have not had much education. Do not try and tell them different, they become irate at your ignorance. You get used to it. I asked wifes kids who have all graduated Dominican high school if they were ever taught about bacteria or viruses in school, "nope", never heard of such things.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I can't tell you how many Latinos I've heard these from-if it's cold one day and hot the next, you still have to "abrigarte bien" because you'll get the flu.

Or if it's too cold you'll catch a cold.

Or when someone has a muscle strain, "se me entro un aire".

Aug 6, 2006
In Mexico City, you will see that most of the women emerging from a movie theatre wlll be holding a handkerchief up to their mouths to protect them from "La Sirena" (the evening breeze). Men, they told me, are immune. Foods are classified as caliente or frio. Caliente foods are peppers, grains, oil, booze, coffee, tea, some fruits and ice. Foods that are called cold are vegetables, diary, meat, citrus fruits. Once , just to be cantankerous, I ate half and aguacate and washed it down with milk. Everyone stood around waiting for me to drop dead because they were all convinced that the aguacate was too hot and the milk was too cold and they would surely start a war in my stomach and cause me to have an infarto. My survival awas attributed to my sajon ancestry.

In the Andean part of Ecuador, if you ask for ice in your soda, people look at you as though you had ordered fried racoon or something equally weird.

I am not sure whether this hot and cold thing comes from Spain or Indian beliefs. It is not followed in Spain any longer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One of my favorites was in Nicaragua when a girl would sit on concrete and then another would say something and she'd jump up and say something about having forgotten. I saw this several times and the point was that there was some disease or sickness or whatever that women would get from sitting in concrete, but us men have no worries in that direction, but the amazing part is that I saw this a dozen times and always it was with a "Oh, I forgot." I felt it was a new superstition just getting started.

in poland we call it złapać wilka (literally: catch a wolf) and it refers to possibility of getting urinary tract infection from sitting on cold surfaces. women are more susceptible because of different anatomy.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
One of my favorites was in Nicaragua when a girl would sit on concrete and then another would say something and she'd jump up and say something about having forgotten. I saw this several times and the point was that there was some disease or sickness or whatever that women would get from sitting in concrete, but us men have no worries in that direction, but the amazing part is that I saw this a dozen times and always it was with a "Oh, I forgot." I felt it was a new superstition just getting started.

The translation is a pilonidal abcess or "the piles".

It's true.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If your neighbor's dog come to pup on your grass stop it!!! hook up your two index and pull them at the same time you concentrate,,, tell the dog with your mind don't do it... he will be stuck and will have to resign.

Dominicans knows this from long time ago!

JJ

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can't tell you how many Latinos I've heard these from-if it's cold one day and hot the next, you still have to "abrigarte bien" because you'll get the flu.

Or if it's too cold you'll catch a cold.

Or when someone has a muscle strain, "se me entro un aire".
Or if you catch some drops of rain on your head.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If u had dengue than for months and months u shouldnt go out under the rain or the dengue come back........

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Or if a lady has her periods ( hope that is not to harsh...), she can not touch flowers or plants. The plants dry up and die.......

But I am starting to believe that one!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think this one has some truth to it but is way overreacted:

A Dominican won't go in the pool for at least 1.5 hour after lunch, cause you'll likely drown.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Wait until you hear all the superstitions about what women can and cannot do when they have their period.

My gf comes out with some fantastic stories on this subject, all of which have been passed to her by the brujas in her barrio.