Update: Obtaining Dominican Driver License Feb.2014

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Obtaining Dominican Driver License is a 2 step process.
1. Learners permit (Carnet de aprendizaje): valid for 1 year.
Requirements:
Cedula and certificate of good conduct ( Certificado de Buena conducta de la
Procuraduria o la Fiscalia), pass eye test and theory test minimum 70 points . Also need blood type.

Cost: RD$1380 + RD$ 330 paid at Banco de Resservas

2. Driver Licence: Valid for 4 years renewable on your Birthday.
Requirements:
- Must wait 46 days after obtaining learner permit.
Cedula and Learners permit, must pass road test minimum 75 points

Cost: RD$990

Total Cost: RD$2700 I think it was 50 pesos more for blood test.

Here how it went for me in La Romana.
A friend had previously picked up the instructions at Direccion General de Transito Terrestre. First day went to Bank Reservas and paid the fees for learners permit, went to small clinic (indicated in the instructions) and had blood type and eye test. The eye test was very simple, must read letters on chart from about 15 feet if you have problems for letters in Spanish English is ok. Then proceeded to the Fiscalia for Certificate of good conduct, must bring photo copy of Cedula. The girl there said Certificate ready tomorrow. The next day a friend pick up the Certificate with my Cedula in hand.

The following day went with all the papers to Direccion General de Transito to pass theory exam. After all the papers are check you proceed for the “Charla”. This is supposed to be a video on safety but no video available so a small speech on safety and time to read the book they gave you. Must pay attention to instructor as this is where they give you hints on theory exam example parking distance etc. ( note not much info in book). Then to a small booth for theory test. The test is 20 short videos and you answer SI o No. You must listen carefully as most videos show you errors in driving but ask if the diver may get a fine or has obeyed the law SI or No.
The test is really easy to spot the driver in error and most answers are SI. Try to remember the distances the instructor gave in the “Chala” another example was the distance to leave when passing a moto……HAHA.

You have to understand enough Spanish to understand the questions (not to fast but in good Spanish) and no translators allowed or propinas possible because the booths are right in front of the supervisor desk.

After 46 days I went with all the require papers to pass the road test. You have a choice to use an automatic or manual car. If you use an automatic car you will have this restriction on your license. So I used a manual car supply in the price you paid. The road test is very easy. You drive around the block, there is one street light that you must stop on ( do not turn right if its red) and then there is two stops signs. You also must park when the instructor ask you. (forward parking only) . The instructor ask me to park in a no parking zone and I told him that I was not allowed, he told me it was ok for the test (be careful and park really close to the curb). I guess that if I had not mentioned it I would have been penalized. When you return to the office you must park within the lines, very easy (small car and again forward parking).There is a lap top in the passage side of the car and all seems to be computerized, you are also filmed so I think a propina is not possible.

We were 6 people taking the test and I was last. The instructor told me that in my country he see that it not possible to pass a red light or stop sign. He said that most Dominicans say that they do not see the light and stop signs (they were very visible). I think that out of the 5 previous students (Dominicans) only 2 pass the road
test.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Quick tip:
If you are renewing in Santo Domingo go to any Ban Reservas other than the one next door to the Direccion General de Transito to pay the impuestos, I waited for close to an hour to pay, it's a mini branch with nice folks but tonnes of people & really bad service.

The renew-ell of license itself was 20 minutes max but the bank was +50 odd minutes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you do not like jumping through hoops just go to any Driving School and let him take care of you. Cost some bucks but you can never fail the test or anything else with this.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How True!
Just have 500, or 1,000 pesos in your pocket when you take the driving test.
The guy who takes you for the road test will tell you that you have failed the test, right up until you, "Show Him The MONEY"!
Your school's instructor will tell you to offer the money before you go for the test, after all, he'll get half from the "Tester".
Happened to my wife 15 years ago, and my stepson 3 years ago.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
How True!
Just have 500, or 1,000 pesos in your pocket when you take the driving test.
The guy who takes you for the road test will tell you that you have failed the test, right up until you, "Show Him The MONEY"!
Your school's instructor will tell you to offer the money before you go for the test, after all, he'll get half from the "Tester".
Happened to my wife 15 years ago, and my stepson 3 years ago.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Totally disagree with you on this one! None of the persons I know who did the driving test needed to pay to pass, not even my wife, and she is a terrible driver!!!