Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Meet the middle-aged women who are Britain's female sex tourists

When we picture a sex tourist, we usually think of a middle-aged man. But growing numbers of women are paying for a ?holiday romance?.

They are called ?bumsters? in Gambia, ?Rastitutes? or ?beach boys? in the Caribbean and ?sanky pankies? in the Dominican Republic. These are the men providing sex in return for money or goods to women who want a holiday ?romance?. The men are invariably from impoverished families, have little or no education and are sometimes illiterate.

Over the past decade, I have been researching the increase in female sex tourism in underdeveloped and poorer countries. Most of the women involved are looking for attention and excitement but end up, often without realising it, being one half of a prostitution deal. Although a small number of African-American women travel to the Caribbean for sex with beach boys, most of the women are white, middle-aged or older and come from Europe and North America. They travel alone or with female friends and often have a history of unhappy relationships with men at home.

Barbara is one such woman. In her late fifties and divorced, she travelled to Jamaica for her first holiday alone last winter. She had fantasies about sunbathing on white sand and swimming in a clear blue sea, but no plans for a holiday romance. Her destination was an all-inclusive resort in Negril, on the western tip of Jamaica, one of the biggest destinations for female sex tourism. ?I got off the plane at Montego Bay and ? boom! ? there he was,? she tells me over the phone from her home town of Sheffield. ?I have never seen a man as fit as Chris. His locks were down his back and his legs were like a footballer?s. I thought, ?Why is he looking at me like he fancies me? I?m not his type.??

Soon Barbara threw aside her inhibitions and realised she could behave in a way she would never dare to at home. ?It was like total freedom. Chris was all over me and I couldn?t get enough of that beautiful body. He showered me with compliments about my legs, my hair, how I smelled, everything. He even said he liked my accent.? Barbara?s previous marriage had been abusive and damaging, leaving her feeling ?worthless and like no man would ever look at me again. Chris made me feel gorgeous and special straight away.?

Yet this was the beginning of not a holiday romance but a commercial exchange between a relatively rich westerner and an impoverished ?beach boy?. It is prostitution but often only the seller, and not the buyer, is aware of that. Barbara only realised Chris viewed her as a sex tourist when one day he told her, ?No money, no sex,? after she refused to give him cash for a drug deal. Barbara, like many women who find ?romance? in Negril, says she is shunned by men of her own age in the UK, ?because they want thinner, younger women and for some reason can get them?.

I made contact with her through a social networking site where I had discovered women exchanging views and details about long distance romances with men in Jamaica. Not one of the women used the phrase ?sex tourism? but most of them discussed how they had sent money to their ?boyfriends? to pay an urgent debt or to rent accommodation in time for their next visit. None would give me her full name, because their friends and family members are not aware that they have been going abroad for intergenerational sex.

?[Chris] moved into my hotel room with me and we had wild sex every night,? Barbara says. ?At first he insisted on paying for everything, but after a couple of days he said he was owed money by a business contact and I had to bankroll him until it came through.?

Barbara is on an administrator?s salary in the UK but one night in her $200 hotel would cost a porter four weeks? wages. ?Chris never got that money he was owed,? she says. ?I ended up paying for everything and once, when I refused, he told me he could pick up any white woman he wanted who would be happy to give him money.? Despite this, she remained under the illusion until the end of her holiday that Chris was her boyfriend. She says now: ?If he pretended to fancy me when we were together and just slept with me for money, does that make him a prostitute ? or just a lying bastard??

The markets for prostitution have expanded rapidly since poorer regions in the Caribbean, Asia and Africa have become popular with well-off tourists from the west in recent decades. Expressions such as ?sexual paradise? and ?fantasy Island? are bandied about and these places turn into notorious hot spots for sex tourism. In the Caribbean and Africa, a racist mythology prevails, with jokes about black male sexual prowess and penis size, perpetuated by the beach boys themselves because it?s good business.

The stereotypical image of the sex tourist is a western man who travels to Thailand or the Philippines to pay for sex with young women and children. But in the past three decades the numbers of women travelling primarily for sex with local men is thought to have increased significantly, according to an investigation by Reuters. The practice has become less stigmatised and tour operators even add thinly veiled references to sex tourism for women as a marketing strategy.

It is not just sex the women are seeking, though. Academic researchers often class women such as Barbara as ?romance tourists?, as they usually believe the men they meet on holiday are in love with them. Middle-aged and older women with low self-esteem and a history of failed relationships are more likely to fall for the delusion. The most popular depiction of romance tourism is the 1989 film Shirley Valentine, in which the central character travels to a Greek island craving love and attention. Shirley was not a sex tourist; she wanted an emotional attachment.

[for the rest of the story, go to:

New Statesman | Meet the middle-aged women who are Britain's female sex tourists ]

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Women pay for romance. Men pay for the woman to leave after sex. Either way sex is NEVER free. You pay one way or the other. I believe men have a healthier outlook on the pay for play game. But I will reserve judgement. When I am sure that I am perfect in every way maybe then i will make judgements. Until then.... BTW, evidently lots of couples go on sex holiday too.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have written it here before... I have seen just this in RSJ..

10am,
slightly overweight, overly made-up, bleached blonde women with a beer in hand chatting up the moto concho boys.

Patently obvious.... no different than the men at a bar but this happened to be a supermercado parking lot with a busy corner (hence the motos)

the world is round.........

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Confessions of a Female Sex Tourist

seems to me that the sankies just do not make out so well on an hourly basis and have to hold out for the long con.. the love, the marriage, the visa.. Or maybe it is the women who want to think that they are loved? I do not know. Have never been in that situation. But it might be easier on everyone if the guys just established an hourly rate....

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have written it here before... I have seen just this in RSJ..

10am,
slightly overweight, overly made-up, bleached blonde women with a beer in hand chatting up the moto concho boys.

Patently obvious.... no different than the men at a bar but this happened to be a supermercado parking lot with a busy corner (hence the motos)

the world is round.........

Very True! I am seeing these 50 plus women now hanging around the pollo Chino en de hoyo de fruisa..
I guess what's good for the goose is good for the gander..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and just to keep the scales in balance.......

these are NOT looking for an older man..... young only, it seems

The similarities are striking

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I wish someone would post a video on youtube of the sankies putting their honeys on a plane back home and waiting for the next planeload of romantic idiots to arrive.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Sigh...I'll probably get myself in trouble, which is why I usually stay silent on most issues around here. BUT, this one, i'm so glad has finally received some attention. Female sex tourism has been so 'hush hush' for such a long time. But it happens. You only have to walk through the streets of Cabarete on any given day to see it happening. How many young, fit, dominican boys do you see with middle aged, often obese, North American or European women?

We are always so quick to point fingers at the dominican sankies, because they are "deceiving" the naive women, convincing them they're treasured and loved. But what of these women??? They meet someone after being off the airplane for five minutes, he's telling her he loves her 5 minutes later...she's paying for everything, and they're having bang up, smashem up sex. The question we often hear is, what if the money dried up? The sanky is gone. But what is the sex dried up? Then the North American/European woman is likely gone too.

I don't buy into the whole game of the naive old woman who just didn't see it coming...if you are paying for everything, sending money hand over fist, having incredible sex with a man young enough to be your child (or grandchild), then you KNOW what you're doing. I'm so sick of hearing that they've been "played".

I've ranted enough...but this is without my thoughts on colonialism, financial hierarchy, etc etc. Time to call a spade a spade...walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's sex tourism.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have seen some of those woman, and the sankies are earning every peso.
Likewise when I see a hot chica walking down the street with a gringo suffering from morbid obesity, I think she should be getting paid overtime or by the pound.
Like kenthedentman said, we all pay one way or another.

May 29, 2006
I read some paper on female sex tourism in the DR 10 years ago and it said a third of all single women surveyed had had a sexual encounter while on vacation with someone local. The main downside I see is more women more than men believe the encounters are more than a pay for play service because the sankies provide the "Real Boyfriend Experience." Sankies aren't working on the short term angle. They want monthly checks sent once the women make it back home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nice work Jelly..... we all see it but its the men that take the heat.

I agree, these women are predators too..... I see no harm in it, and am as ambivalent to it as I am to the male sided predator.
In truth, its a sad case for those concerned........ sadder for the payor than the payee if you ask me - you didn't
Loneliness ain't easy for some.

Read...http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/fashion/What-Lou-Reed-Taught-Me-About-Love-modern-love.html?src=me

A young girl full of uncertainties.......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sankie Aplastado

I agree, these women are predators too..... I see no harm in it....

Well,..... :rolleyes:

fat.jpg

donP

Status
Not open for further replies.