Cold Showers

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I don't care how hot and sticky it is I still want a hot shower. Warm water at least.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What a joy when your all hot, sticky, and bothered. Do I really need to invest in heating water?

I was just talking about this the other day. I have a water heater that needs replacing. It gives me about 2 minutes of hot water now that it is all calciumed up. I find I rarely need the hot water, so I have not replaced it. Now that Summer is on the horizon...absolutely not needed.
It is a personal need...I personally can live without hot water...my girlfriend sometimes complains though.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
You would think in 90 degree weather you wouldnt need it..but you do. Evenings, late night, early AM the cold shower is too hard to get used to.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
My wife also insists dishes don't get cleaned well enough just with cold water.

Both my bathroom sink and my kitchen sink do not have hot water. Only the shower has hot water. I guess I could do my dishes in the shower...now, who wants to come to dinner? LOL

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Get a wet dry vac. Remove the loser element after disconnecting the electricity. Vacuum all the calcium out. Replace the element. It is an easy diy project. Google or youtube it. Very easy. Just make sure the electricity is off or you sill be shocked.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Get a wet dry vac. Remove the loser element after disconnecting the electricity. Vacuum all the calcium out. Replace the element. It is an easy diy project. Google or youtube it. Very easy. Just make sure the electricity is off or you sill be shocked.

Thanks, I never really thought of it as something to fix. Great idea!

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Fish, use the wet dry vac however you want. Just be careful. I think the DR is not where you want appendages reattached. It will end up on you forehead. You know what we will call you then? Hahaha

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
There is this button called "Reply with quote" maybe 10 % of the folks posting here haven't figured it out. ANd just assume that everyone will guess as to what he is referencing even it can be 14 posts back.

I posted like 2 posts after the dude said his water heater was broken. And it was on the first page. Get with the program. Jeez. Mi toto es dolor.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm one of those that suffers from arthritis and hot water works wonders on my shoulders. I could do without hot water but I'm not about to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like hot showers and hot water is a must. when we have power issues and cannot use water heater i warm up a huge pot on the stove and wash using a bucket.

btw, we also had an issue with calcium buildup. we yanked the whole heater out, opened the valve and calcium slush fell out. we cleaned it up inside, rinsed and reconnected. voila, works much better than before.

i had a dominican friend stay with me for a while. before she never washed in hot water: either she did not have a heater or was too stingy to use it. after 10 days of hot showers on demand she was cursing me no end because she started using water heater in her rented apartment. said she loved washing in hot water. :)

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Well I have been here 3 years without hot water and I have finally purchased a solar hot water heater! woop - just need to install it... Even though its hot you cant beat a warm shower

May 29, 2006
I was just talking about this the other day. I have a water heater that needs replacing. It gives me about 2 minutes of hot water now that it is all calciumed up. I find I rarely need the hot water, so I have not replaced it. Now that Summer is on the horizon...absolutely not needed.
It is a personal need...I personally can live without hot water...my girlfriend sometimes complains though.

If it's electric, you should be able to replace the element if you can get it out. The scale usually builds up on it with a ball at the end. Worth a try before you go buy a new heater. You just need a special large hex wrench for a tool and a screwdriver to turn it. A new element should be under US$20. Handy to have the old one since they come in different sizes. Replacing it every year or so will save on your electric. The elements can also burn out..

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
All that sunshine in the DR. I wonder why solar heat is not an option. Actually it is an option, as often water is pumped into black holding tanks on the roof of many hotels, and it heats up during the day. At 2:00 PM in the Fior di Loto Hotel in Juan Dolio (and other similarly-equipped hotels), the water is quite warm. But in the morning it is cold enough to cause serious shrinkage. -

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All that sunshine in the DR. I wonder why solar heat is not an option. Actually it is an option, as often water is pumped into black holding tanks on the roof of many hotels, and it heats up during the day. At 2:00 PM in the Fior di Loto Hotel in Juan Dolio (and other similarly-equipped hotels), the water is quite warm. But in the morning it is cold enough to cause serious shrinkage. -

Solar water heaters are available at Ochoa.