Not a Lhasa ... he is a Havanese!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So it have been months now with the new puppie.. and I kept reading up on the Lhasa Apso which he supposedly was.. and how tranquil they supposedly were which did not jive with the frantic canine that I had living with me. At night, he would suddlenly :get his night on.. go disco wild, run around the house at top speed in circles.. He played with ALL his toys. all the time.. Only slept out of exhaustion.

Then came the Westminster Dog Show.. and low and behold.. NOT a Lhasa.. but a HAVANESE.. national dog of Cuba.. (or a resonable cousin thereof! no papers but clearly Special... I know, I know, all us mutt owners say that.. but does your dog play soccer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuobsqSnxs

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/KSuobsqSnxs?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/KSuobsqSnxs?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Now I feel pretty stupid having named him SuChang.. and think that I should call him El Fuerbo!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mountainannie,
Not sure what your point is ? We know of other HAVANESE in the DR. Are you looking for an introduction?

Olly and the Team

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Mountainannie,
Not sure what your point is ? We know of other HAVANESE in the DR. Are you looking for an introduction?

Olly and the Team

no, alas, I had him fixed as he thought that His odor was the most lovely scent that the house could smell.. gag me with a spoon.. But it was simply a breed that I had never seen. The shop that I bought him from said he was a Lhasa but he seemed too frantic for that. I kept playing him temple bell music and he would just not calm down. Plus they said that Lhasas were not that bright and this one seemed so quick and smart.

This is not a breed that I had seen before I came here. Evidently they are quite rare in the US. But they do make great pets. Quick to train. And they are great in apartments, The video is not kidding when they say they exercise themselves.

So I turned out lucky.

Do not think that I could have kept him intact, even if I had known what a rare find he was.. the marking was awful.

But Olly, if you know some in SD, perhaps we could form a performance troupe? He does love to jump.

And is really quite gifted with a soccer ball. The one I got him is smaller than regulation and at first I told him it was illegal to carry it with his teeth but we decided finally that it was ok.. as long as he brings it back. Unlike the baseball, it does not fit under the bookcases.

Aug 6, 2006
I was unaware that Cuba had a national dog.

I was unaware that anoyone but the Brits and the French had national dogs.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have a Havenese and he is one terrific dog. He rules over our 140 pound Rottie

Bob K

Aug 6, 2006
There is little reason to assume that a purebred AKC registered dog is more intelligent or talented than a mutt. It is perhaps more predictable that a Border Collie is more intelligent than a mutt, but there are a lot of smart mutts as well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Well, he is a mutt, in that he has no papers.. but he is just a mutt that LOOKS and acts like a Havanese. I had never heard of the breed before since it is rare in the US. But the store did say he came from Puerto Rico. I have almost always had Shelter dogs.. adoptees.. and the dumnest one I ever had was one who looked like a pure bred cocker spaniel.

I was just touting on him because he is a great liittle companion dog. Not yappy. About 13 lbs. No work and easy to train. Good for condo life style. He does seem too big to fit into the required airplane carriers for travel so I guess they would not be a good choice for part time residents.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
el fuerbo means OH GREAT FURRY ONE... in our own language

and I did the measurements for the carriers in the airlines.. and even though he is only 13 lbs, he is too long to fit in the designated carriers and turn around like they say he should.. >

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Not too many Havanese in the States as we can't trade with Cuba, visit, import etc....somewhat of a shame now a days. We had a borer collie while our daughter was growing up...the smartest do I have ever come across....and he protected our daughter and they seemed to have their own bond...she was about three, time for bubble bath...would have the tub ready, setting her in and she would silently say FRED (the dogs name) and spoosh out of nowhere he was in the tub waiting to play bubbles with her....You could leave our driveway gate open and he wouldn't cross the line unless we said ok, I do think most dogs if loved and taught and cared for will be just as smart and a happy addition to a family. (he did tend to herd the kids when we would have a birthday party!) Good Boy Fred.