The New Circunvalación de Santiago de los Caballeros

Rate the Circunvalaci?n de Santiago de los Caballeros:

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As many here know, Santiago de los Caballeros is the most recent Dominican city to have its circunvalaci?n completed (beltway). Here is an extensive tour of the new highway that shortens considerably the amount of time it takes to cross the province of Santiago from the Autopista Juan Pablo Duarte (RD-1) to the Autopista Joaqu?n Balaguer (RD-1).

[video=youtube;iLrNxevee68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrNxevee68[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the road is great but empty. we went through there on saturday, almost no traffic.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think these folks are too happy about it....

Nice...community in action. Great example of Dominican engineering when you block a whole neighborhood without providing another way to get it/out of their houses. :confused:

Pretty soon that entrance is going to become the way to bypass the toll as well...when that happens then they will start listening.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nals doesn't see the Dominican Newspapers in the USA, so he doesn't know that the truck drivers here, and most other working drivers,are refusing to pay hundreds of pesos to go around Santiago, and are still clogging the streets through town!
But since the "Politicians" already got their CUTS from the construction, the road has been deemed a huge "SUCCESS"!
"Same 'Ol, Same 'Ol" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
People is not happy as they didn't expected the toll, all the bloked secondary roads and streets,. Even for pedestrian is impossible to cut thru the new road when they need to go from one side to the other of their comunities.

And the big complaint is about the lack of marginal roads for those who drives personal vehicles, listen in the video they say now some of the cars are stock in their house as there is not way to make it out.

JJ

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
People are idiots, they rather spend an hour or an hour and a half during peak hours in bumper to bumper traffic going through Santiago, not to mention the risk of getting a flat tire with all the pot holes in some of the Avenues, the risk of getting into an accident especially with all those crazy concho drivers, the wearing down of your vehicles brakes, and being under that hellish sun, all to avoid 150 pesos (isn't that a gallon of gas?). I'm not saying the prices aren't a little high, especially if compare to other tolls, but who ever has to get to Puerto Plata or la linea and decides to go through Santiago instead of la Circunvalacion is un buen pendejo.

Something mentioned by Criss colon, is that the streets of Santiago are still clog with traffic, which is something I often hear people say. Well one of the things I would always say is that the circunvalacion was one of the many solutions the traffic in Santiago needs, but that is was far from being the holy grail that would fix the traffic problem in the city. I don't know how or in what language to explain to people that all those trucks, all that traffic they would see in Santiago before the circunvalacion, was in fact the MAJORITY local traffic, therefore even with the new highway all that traffic will not magically disappear.

I think the Circunvalacion is a great project, well built and one that Santiago needed. Is a step in the right direction, at least a good part of the non-Santiaguero traffic has been taken out of the city, now I hope the government ends up keeping its promise and keeps working on other solutions planned for the main avenues of the city. I personally love this new highway, you guys would not believe how quick I can make it from my house in Gurabo to the Cabanas in the Duarte Highway.

The vid posted by Nals looks good but Here's my video of the new highway, maybe you guys will get a good idea of where to take the new road:

[video=youtube;J_Dg3d8aAiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Dg3d8aAiQ[/video]

May 12, 2005
People are idiots, they rather spend an hour or an hour and a half during peak hours in bumper to bumper traffic going through Santiago, not to mention the risk of getting a flat tire with all the pot holes in some of the Avenues, the risk of getting into an accident especially with all those crazy concho drivers, the wearing down of your vehicles brakes, and being under that hellish sun, all to avoid 150 pesos (isn't that a gallon of gas?). I'm not saying the prices aren't a little high, especially if compare to other tolls, but who ever has to get to Puerto Plata or la linea and decides to go through Santiago instead of la Circunvalacion is un buen pendejo.

Something mentioned by Criss colon, is that the streets of Santiago are still clog with traffic, which is something I often hear people say. Well one of the things I would always say is that the circunvalacion was one of the many solutions the traffic in Santiago needs, but that is was far from being the holy grail that would fix the traffic problem in the city. I don't know how or in what language to explain to people that all those trucks, all that traffic they would see in Santiago before the circunvalacion, was in fact the MAJORITY local traffic, therefore even with the new highway all that traffic will not magically disappear.

I think the Circunvalacion is a great project, well built and one that Santiago needed. Is a step in the right direction, at least a good part of the non-Santiaguero traffic has been taken out of the city, now I hope the government ends up keeping its promise and keeps working on other solutions planned for the main avenues of the city. I personally love this new highway, you guys would not believe how quick I can make it from my house in Gurabo to the Cabanas in the Duarte Highway.

The vid posted by Nals looks good but Here's my video of the new highway, maybe you guys will get a good idea of where to take the new road:

[video=youtube;J_Dg3d8aAiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Dg3d8aAiQ[/video]

They don't realize that the fuel they are burning sitting in traffic will cost more than the toll itself.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
with miesposo we agreed the circumcision norte (i can't remember that god damn word so i butchered it and it will stay that way) is the best way and we will use it every time going to the airport or SD. 150 is not a lot in comparison to aggravation of passing through santiago. metro, caribe, trucks, carros publicos, local traffic... f**k it. this road is neat and nearly empty. takes you past santiago in less than 20 minutes from start to finish.

i understand why trucks raise hell, they pay a lot more. when i asked miesposo if his company's trucks will use that or enter santiago he said that proper cost calculations will be made and then decision will be taken based on that. so this is not automatic change. large companies will take time to decide it.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Companies know they cant give cash to a driver to pay the toll, it will go right in his pocket and he will take the longer route. I assume there is or will be an ezpass system. Even that will be abused. Many Dominicans find a way to steal at every transaction.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
companies do not give cash. miesposo pays from his own pocket, brings a receipt and gets money back. his drivers need to present the paperwork or no money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There was a fire in one of the toll booth storage areas a few days ago.
It was announced in today's newspapers that it was not arson, but an a
"Accident" when the head military, or "Policia" guy dropped a teargas grenade which started the other grenades on fire.
THAT, sounds like a made up story to me!
The "Policia" has to tell the story he was told about what happened.
The government doesn't want any more bad publicity about the high tolls, and empty road.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC