Airbag for Cyclists or Motorcyclist

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I simply love bicycling around Las Terrenas, and I finally decided wearing a helmet, after all these years... I'll use it on my moped too...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans have been using moto safety measures for years:

140fb6h.jpg

9h3m0p.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Somehow I do not see this device catching on even among our most safety conscious Dominicans.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Seems to me that a DOT approved helmet would do the job just as well. What would be really awesome is if you could manufacture motorcycle jackets with built in airbags. But then, dominicans don't wear jackets or helmets.

But I'd buy one.:classic:

Vince.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is the last country in the world that would use such a device even if you handed them out for free. So, Frank, being an extreme safety minded motorcyclist you have placed your order? How about a photo of you wearing the device?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans don't need to protect their hears, just their important body parts!!!!
Do they make them for "Genitals"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps., Frank, you are the only "Air Bag" needed in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
No, now boys. Don't get nasty. I go out racing up and down the mountains here weekly with friends. I've been racing up and down and around this crazy island weekly since 1978. That's when i got my first motorcycle here. I do not own a car here, and I have never owned a car here. I only ride bikes. I ride a motorcycle here every single day--putting on average 35km a day, 7 days a week. Just my scooter--which is only 2.5 yrs old now just turned over 27,000km (like to see the picture?). I'm very proud of this.

I'm not prone to wrecking no matter how much i race, or how fast i go. I know when to speed and when to creep along. I'm what you might call "Semi-professional hillbilly rider." I've been racing motorcycles my whole life.

But i know people (expats) who wreck monthly here--I.E: my girlfriend. She's been in three wrecks in 4 years.

In the last ten years of racing around this island, i have only had two wrecks--both racing. I have never hit anyone or been hit by anyone, so the idea of wearing one of these around my neck every time i leave the house is not realistic. it's too hot here. But other people--expats--down here are not experienced riders, do not know the roads, do not know the unwritten rules, drink & drive, drive fast in the rain (big no-no) and for lack of a better word...they are clumsy and accident prone. These people need one of these. Hell, i need one when I'm having sex. In bed i'm clumsy. very clumsy. Driving a motorcycle, not at all.

So, yes, i can see my myself wearing one in bed or while racing. But for daily commutes, it's too hot here on this island. I wear a helmet instead. Bugs hurt at 80km, rocks hurt more, and a helmet protects your eyes and teeth from both.

Frank

Last edited:

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
No, now boys. Don't get nasty. I go out racing up and down the mountains here weekly with friends. I've been racing up and down and around this crazy island weekly since 1978. That's when i got my first motorcycle here. I do not own a car here, and I have never owned a car here. I only ride bikes. I ride a motorcycle here every single day--putting on average 35km a day, 7 days a week. Just my scooter--which is only 2.5 yrs old now just turned over 27,000km (like to see the picture?). I'm very proud of this.

mY gf

I'm not prone to wrecking no matter how much i race, or how fast i go. I know when to speed and when to creep along. I'm what you might call "Semi-professional hillbilly rider." I've been racing motorcycles my whole life.

But i know people (expats) who wreck monthly here--I.E: my girlfriend. She's been in three wrecks in 4 years.

In the last ten years of racing around this island, i have only had two wrecks--both racing. I have never hit anyone or been hit by anyone, so the idea of wearing one of these around my neck every time i leave the house is not realistic. it's too hot here. But other people--expats--down here are not experienced riders, do not know the roads, do not know the unwritten rules, drink & drive, drive fast in the rain (big no-no) and for lack of a better word...they are clumsy and accident prone. These people need one of these. Hell, i need one when I'm having sex. In bed i'm clumsy. very clumsy. Driving a motorcycle, not at all.

So, yes, i can see my myself wearing one in bed or while racing. But for daily commutes, it's too hot here on this island. I wear a helmet instead. Bugs hurt at 80km, rocks hurt more, and a helmet protects your eyes and teeth from both.

Frank

My gf won't wear a helmet because she claims a helmet hinders her vision and hearing of traffic around her. I think
she doesn't want to mess up her hair. However she thinks this new airbag device is cool and would wear it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It would do little to nothing to protect the head from hard blunt force trauma, like a tree, or a fender.
You need a hard shell, with a shock absorbing inner core to help with that, not a balloon filled with air.
That's probably why the video does not show any impacts.
It might just "POP" when rubbing along the road surfaces.
I wore a 3 inch hole in my HARD helmet sliding down a cement road.
Looks like nothing worth using for me on a motorcycle.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Corsair, they DO!
I have seen videos.
Probably can find on Utube.
They inflate when you fall off, there is a tether to the bike that activates the CO2 cartridge,
Makes the rider look like the "Michellan Man"!!!!

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
It would do little to nothing to protect the head from hard blunt force trauma, like a tree, or a fender.
You need a hard shell, with a shock absorbing inner core to help with that, not a balloon filled with air.
That's probably why the video does not show any impacts.
It might just "POP" when rubbing along the road surfaces.
I wore a 3 inch hole in my HARD helmet sliding down a cement road.
Looks like nothing worth using for me on a motorcycle.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Corsair, they DO!
I have seen videos.
Probably can find on Utube.
They inflate when you fall off, there is a tether to the bike that activates the CO2 cartridge,
Makes the rider look like the "Michellan Man"!!!!

Would be interesting to see more research on this airbag.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few videos:

[video=youtube;Y7lQaw-VTfY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lQaw-VTfY[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
[video=youtube;d7Oud3iGXWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Oud3iGXWY[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it will be great for simple cycling with low impact crashes such as falling off the bike at low speed or hitting stationary object. but as cccc says, if it involves being hit and dragged behind a vehicle then no use.

when i went to my dentist in poland we happily chatted about his first post mortem done at the uni (in poland dentist and regular doctors have very similar program). the first body they had to cut up was a 19 year old girl who fell of the bike, hit the curb and cracked her head. that gimmick would have saved her...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That guy was a Real Dummy!
If you look closely at the slow motion of the last video, you will see his penis is ripped off his body!
He was left paralyzed from the neck down as well!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Fish, that's why motorcycles are call, "Donor Bikes"!!!!!!!!
Great source of young healthy "Organs"!