Best way/ Route to go from Cabrera to Jarabacoa in a Motorcycle??

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
What route would be the best way to go from Cabrera to Jarabacoa (la vega) in a motorcycle. Safest route that would be, also roughly time, what to watch out for. I was checking google maps but wanted to double check with the DR1 experts here.

thanks in advance.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I would go Cabrera to Sabaneta, go thru the mountains (jamao etc) to Moca, then Moca south to La Vega (not the highway), then La Vega to Jarabacoa is fairly simple.

I would never ride a motorcycle on the highways here, just doesn't seem very safe to me.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It is many years since I last rode a motor cycle in those days one rode on a motorcycle not in one I realize many things have changed in the intervening years but this is a new one on me.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Oceanspear,
Sayonara's route it pretty good. The only thing I would add is going through Moca can be tricky even in a Jeepetta. You basically come out of the mountains - loverly road - and turn left at the "NAVIA Gas station". Then at the next major junction also turn left - its really a Y junction. Do not take the road through Licey. The next major road junction is a cross roads outside the Moca Prison on you left. Go straight across and then merge into the road coming from you left. Go through Moca town with its many traffic lights and then you have an option to take the road to the Durte Highway or carry on on another road that eventually leads to La Vega. The choice is yours. The duerte Highway is fast and you can cruise real well. As to the road to Jarabacoa you dont qactually go into La Vega but effectively take a right off the main highway and carry on. The signage is not good but the road is fine.
HTH

Olly and the Team

What route would be the best way to go from Cabrera to Jarabacoa (la vega) in a motorcycle. Safest route that would be, also roughly time, what to watch out for. I was checking google maps but wanted to double check with the DR1 experts here.

thanks in advance.

I just road from Gaspar Hernandez to Jarabacoa today on my moto going through Sabaneta and Moca, then to La Vega on the highway, I didn't find it dangerous at all. It took about 2.5-3 hours. We only had to ask about 10 people how to get there after Moca but we found it. People are usually very helpful when I get lost, which happens a lot.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I just road from Gaspar Hernandez to Jarabacoa today on my moto going through Sabaneta and Moca, then to La Vega on the highway, I didn't find it dangerous at all. It took about 2.5-3 hours. We only had to ask about 10 people how to get there after Moca but we found it. People are usually very helpful when I get lost, which happens a lot.

Especially on the Moca road, easy to get lost.