Pigeons and Palm Trees

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Out back of my home there is a long and narrow lagoon that has palm trees on either side. The environment is inhabited by a diverse species of fowl and other avian sorts. For now, it is interesting studying their behaviors. Interesting too is the large number of pigeons that "rule the roost" in the habitat. The sight of seeing them perching and nesting on palm trees was unexpected. For now this sight, in addition to the greater proportion of doves to clinkers that one sees in such as NYC, remains of interest, In the back of my mind though, I'm searching for terrace control strategies. Functional ideas anyone?

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
We lived on a lake in Northern Michigan, between the seagulls, pigeons, geese and ducks, the docks and boat tarps were a mess. FIrst step do not feed them or give them any indication there is something to eat near the terrace. It always worked to have a windsock on the deck and one on the edge or the boat tarp. THey did not like when the wind blew it and we had a pretty clean boat tarp after that. Owls are predators of these birds....My neighbor didn't have a boat but had a patio near the water and he put two plastic owls on long poles and used them at opposite corners of the patio! It worked!

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Theme parks in Florida use strings strewn over the patio areas. It seems to be very effective in keeping the moocher birds at bay.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
And clear plastic bags filled with water keep the flies at bay. Just hanf the bags from your bird strings and you will be pest free, well except the mosquitos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The only thing 100 % effective is killing them, and that isn't usually a very good option. What we've done at the school is two things, sloping tile surfaces below windows instead of flat surfaces, and spike strips on the roof ledge. They can't put their tender tootsies down.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Are they doves? 25 different types of doves on the West Indies and 10 diffrent pigeons. Post a picture if you have one.

Now that you bring it up, I call any white pigeon a dove. This is because when a boy I would overhear pigeon coup owners refer to their white birds as doves. Maybe their references were more specific to a type of white pigeon/bird in their flocks. I don't know? Nor do I know how to post pics to this site yet. It's on my 'to do' list though. Something about uploading them to another site first. I'll get to it eventually.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I borrowed a friend's pellet gun, and shot them until the moved on!
Took a few weeks, but it was a lot of fun, For ME, not for Them!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I borrowed a friend's pellet gun, and shot them until the moved on!
Took a few weeks, but it was a lot of fun, For ME, not for Them!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I like fun. Threw some rocks earlier. Almost terminated a few. Strangely, I've not seen them or heard their cooing around my terrace since, , , , , hmmmmm. A pellet gun would definitely be 'funner' though.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Just ran across a terrace that has shiny cds dangling from strings spread around 3-3.5 ft from each other. The discs sway, turn, and reflect sunlight so as to maximize affect. Seems functional and, in my sense, doesn't detract from or compromise terrace living, especially when compared to the pigeon alternative.

Aug 6, 2006
If you cook a pigeon or a dove, it becomes a squab, doesn't it?

I can't say I have knowingly eaten one. Should we assume it tastes like chicken?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why not prisms them, instead of CDs? much prettier. and maybe of them tingling thingies that move with the wind and make noise.

pigeons taste like wild birds. they make a nice broth, thou. traditionally reserved for the sick to recover their strength.

Aug 6, 2006
Prisms are pretty expensive, though admittedly prettier. Old CD's, defective recorded CD's and DVD's can be found for free, everyone's favorite price. Finally, a useful purpose for Adam Sandler movies, wannabe rap group CDs that proved unlistenable, unplayable video games, all manner of failed entertainment.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If anyone has ever eaten in a "Chinese Restaurant" they HAVE, eaten "Pigeon"! :chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:
In Boston years ago,the health inspector found several cages filled with pigeons in the back of a Chinese restaurant.
The restaurant owner claimed he was just watching them for a friend who was on vacation!!!
Lets not start about eating cats in a Chinese Restaurant!!!!!!!
"DOGS",,........"All Day Long"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
and especially at Night!!!!!