Skunky Presidente?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Is it just me or is more skunky Presidente around these last few years than in times gone by?
Yesterday I headed out of the apartment around nine-thirty for my morning pub crawl constitutional. I?m supposed to walk two kilometres a day for my health and I find it works best if I have ?destinations?.

At bar number one I had a Presidente and it was skunky. I didn?t mention it to the owners since they were busy opening up and, what the heck, I?m sure it was spoiled before they got their hands on it. Moved on to bar number two and . . . same thing. This is enough to drive a man to rum which is what I had at the third bar; it wasn?t at all skunky. ?C?est La Vie?.

And, before yesterday?s two, in the last three weeks I?ve had at least four beers that were ?off. That makes six skunkies out of an estimated fifty beers consumed in bar-restaurants. That?s a wopping great 12%. We only buy cans to take away so I?m not surprise that they?ve been fine.

My mind goes back to the eighties when beer was typically delivered to the bars and restaurants in wooden crates on an open cart drawn by a tired horse with a straw hat to cool its head. Sometimes there would be a tarp over the beer but just as often not. Yet a skunky beer was rare in those days. Obviously they engineered it better then than now; I seem to recall 6% alcohol mentioned on the label, and I believe it did taste a little more hoppy.

Or perhaps it?s just that with modern ?efficiency? of distribution things take longer, sit around longer and have more opportunity to spoil . . . and nobody in the company gives a damn.

Whatever the cause of it, it?s most likely a reflection of the status of the Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana. When you?re number one and way ahead of the pack you think you don?t have to try hard anymore.

wbr

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Beer should be bottled in brown bottles for the best protection from light. If a beer in a green bottle is exposed to too much light, then it gets "skunky".

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Beer should be bottled in brown bottles for the best protection from light. If a beer in a green bottle is exposed to too much light, then it gets "skunky".

Si comprendo! But to me this is a recent thing. And Presidente has been in green bottles since I can remember.

wbr

Aug 6, 2006
Presidente, I have noticed is not nearly so common as Presidente LIGHT, which is lower in alcohol content. Most colmados seem only to have Presidente light.

They do a really good job of advertising. I bought a Bohemia at the colmado in Barahona and was sipping away at it on the galeria, and la hermana de la novia cem up and said: "te enga?aron: esa no es Presidente".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not too long ago, I had a couple of bottles in my cooler... back of the car.

Lo and behold.... they became half empty floating around back there.
Clearly , the caps weren't on tightly enough.

Yup, I got replacements from the colmado

Me_again.... I like your daily constitutional.... 'target walking' it should be called
Akin to frisbee golf.

To your health, sir !!:)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Skunky Presidente........
I hate that stuff.
If it is becoming consistently skunky then the problem is most likely at their own warehouse. Sounds like it's sitting out in the sun.
When I worked in Bavaro it used to drive me crazy when the beer would be delivered from the almecen and left outside the bar in the blazing sun.
I read the riot act to all who would listen and many who wouldn't....Grrrrr.
Ah yes........
All those riot acts and all for naught. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I suppose you can't increase the length of those morning strolls...... too many stops along the way and you'd need a motoconcho to get home.

Old adage, only walk half as far as you should..... you need the other half to get home.

I've been stranded in neighboring towns many a time..... a kindly divorcee takes me in at times for nourishment and revitalizing.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I like your daily constitutional .... 'target walking' it should be called

Yes I like that one. Tomorrow I'll set out with renewed vigour!

wbr

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Heinekens have been on sale at Iberia for 55 pesos each for 2 months now. I've been drinking those. Nice change from the presidente after a while.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004

Which is why I only drink Bohemia same great taste but less filling....hehe and less gassy

Presidente is for the tourists and Presidente Light is for People who like Beer flavored water

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
To me, it seems if beer is cold, then lights go out and it gets warm, then cold again, it gets skunky. If that cycle happens more than once, it gets worse.

Years ago I was at Discoteca Fantasy in SD, with an ex novia. We sit down, order two beers. The beers come and both were beyond skunky. Un drinkable, and I have a high tolerance. We call over waitress and explain. She says "no es m problema". We offer the beer to her. If she can drink the crap, we'll pay for it. Again she says it isn't her problem.

I ask her what we were supposed to do with two completely undrinkable beers? She says whatever you want "no me importa".
So I stand up and pour both beers out onto the floor and headed for the door. She is following us the whole way saying we had to pay the bill. I say we didn't drink them. She says if we don't pay she will be in trouble. I turn around and say. . . .wait for it. "no es mi problema".

Bouncers tried block the door. I speed up and put my ****ed off face on and they part like the red sea. Manager came out, apologized, and extended VIP treatment for rest of night.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Is it just me or is more skunky Presidente around these last few years than in times gone by?
Yesterday I headed out of the apartment around nine-thirty for my morning pub crawl constitutional. I?m supposed to walk two kilometres a day for my health and I find it works best if I have ?destinations?.

At bar number one I had a Presidente and it was skunky. I didn?t mention it to the owners since they were busy opening up and, what the heck, I?m sure it was spoiled before they got their hands on it. Moved on to bar number two and . . . same thing. This is enough to drive a man to rum which is what I had at the third bar; it wasn?t at all skunky. ?C?est La Vie?.

And, before yesterday?s two, in the last three weeks I?ve had at least four beers that were ?off. That makes six skunkies out of an estimated fifty beers consumed in bar-restaurants. That?s a wopping great 12%. We only buy cans to take away so I?m not surprise that they?ve been fine.

My mind goes back to the eighties when beer was typically delivered to the bars and restaurants in wooden crates on an open cart drawn by a tired horse with a straw hat to cool its head. Sometimes there would be a tarp over the beer but just as often not. Yet a skunky beer was rare in those days. Obviously they engineered it better then than now; I seem to recall 6% alcohol mentioned on the label, and I believe it did taste a little more hoppy.

Or perhaps it?s just that with modern ?efficiency? of distribution things take longer, sit around longer and have more opportunity to spoil . . . and nobody in the company gives a damn.

Whatever the cause of it, it?s most likely a reflection of the status of the Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana. When you?re number one and way ahead of the pack you think you don?t have to try hard anymore.

wbr

If true, this is seriously distressing news. This is worse than any gory murder stuff that dv8 posts. I guarantee you that by tomorow morning there will be some god-awful news article in Detras de Rumor with a f**kin photo of some gringo with a death mask expression because he was maliciously served a skunky fria in Sosua. Poor bastard, he didn't get out of the DR in time. He was only trying to live a quiet retired life here in the DR and then this sh*t happens to him. I just pray that these spunky beers are not being Found on the NC in numbers. Are gringos being targeted ? Are we the only ones being served skunky beers?
If so, It be the final dagger in the heart of tourism here. Maybe I should get out now? I hear the national beer of Cuba is bottled in brown bottles. Crap. I'll have to sell my place at a loss. Oh well. Now I know how the OP from the "time to leave the DR part two" feels. IF only this were as frivolous as a rock falling off a motorcycle. But it is not. This is about beer damn it. BEER!!!!

That's it I'm outta here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't drink beer very regularly, but I had a presidente light at pizzahut in santo Domingo when having lunch with wife and kids and the beer came bad. About two months later, same pizzahut, again the presidente light came bad. I told them they probably leave it in the sun before putting it in the fridge, but it might as well be a problem at the brewer or distributor (which I think in case of restaurants is CND themselves.

Talking about bad beer: I proudly tried Hollander beer which is like 39 pesos or so in the supermarket and had to spoil it in the sink.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I don't drink beer very regularly, but I had a presidente light at pizzahut in santo Domingo when having lunch with wife and kids and the beer came bad. About two months later, same pizzahut, again the presidente light came bad. I told them they probably leave it in the sun before putting it in the fridge, but it might as well be a problem at the brewer or distributor (which I think in case of restaurants is CND themselves.

Talking about bad beer: I proudly tried Hollander beer which is like 39 pesos or so in the supermarket and had to spoil it in the sink.

It's a friggin conspiracy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
forgive my ignorance, what is skunky beer? i googled it and i still don't get it.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
sun

When you drive past the cerveceria behind the "ciudad de ganadero" in st. Domingo, you will see about 6745 million crates of beer, blazing in the hot stDomingo sun......

However, they have to mistreate the beers, otherwise it wouldn't be Dominican beer!