At Last.....

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Hi, it has been 4 years since my last visit to the DR. I have some general questions to update me. How much for beach chairs now at Sousa? How much for a beach massage or pedicure? I have done some research and can find no current info on prices. This will be my first vacation without my D/D son (22 years) so going solo is a big event. I only have 9 days. Any suggestions that will not break the bank? Where is a good place to get the lowdown on whats happening? I have heard things have changed a bit. I know that this is VERY general. Bear with me please. I will be leaving the Eastern Beaufort Sea in Alaska and 72 hours later be in paradise. Suggestions on where to eat, drink things to do would be gratefully received. Thanks....... Joe (Boat Ak on tripadvisor).

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Bred, thanks for the info on the beach chairs. Where is the best part of the beach to sit in your opinion? thanks

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Joe, I would say the part from the middle to the west side. Tom's Scandanavian bar is a good spot with ice cold beer and great burgers. It is approx. Caseta 150 +-. The beach has three entrance points, one from El Batey, which is your walk in point if coming from the tourist hotels, then one in the middle where a moto would drop you off and the west side of Los Charamicos. Tom's is between the middle and the west. While walking along the beach a simple "no gracias" will keep the shopkeepers at bay.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Thanks RV429, This is the "local knowledge" stuff that makes a difference in a trip. Last time we were there we used Playa Alicia the whole time. Do you have any idea what a manicure, pedicure, massage would cost? Does anybody have anyone thats really good at massage on the beach? I read that a lot of the massage ladies were closed down Thanks again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last time i paid 70 pesos per chair and that was maybe 2 years ago. i would be prepared to pay maybe a 100 but no more than that. the guys who take care of the chairs will also look after your stuff if you want to go for a swim and will fetch you a beer.

visit rocky's for ribs, delicious. i never really ate anything else there so i cannot vouch for other dishes :)

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
thanks dv8, I hit Rockys a lot on the last trip. I will hit Toms as well as Big D for lunch along with Cafe Cubano for coffee, cigars.And.... of course the RIBS.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
thanks Der Fish, 500 pesos on the beach sounds pretty good. After leaving the Arctic the skin is REALLY dried out. When I am up there I have to apply lotion or the skin flakes off like dandruff. Having a beach massage with oil would be heaven!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
go to any pharmacy and ask for aceite de almendra (almond oil). a bottle should be about 100 pesos. rub it it after washing, on wet skin. tap dry with a towel.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Good tips guys.... I think I will get some and have a beach massage with the almond oil. This is gonna be like..... NICE!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My friend pays 500 pesos for a message without a happy ending as he puts it. 1500 with a happy ending.
Der Fish

Your "friend" ;) isn't a very good negotiator as my "friend" had a very pleasant beach massage for RD$400 a couple of months ago! :classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can also buy coconut oil (in a supermarket). it does miracles for the skin. the only downside is that after applying you will smell like freshly baked cookie for hours.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Its nice to see Sosua has finally attracted the coveted high end,exclusive traveler with discerning tastes
"how much for a beach chair dude".

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Wow! Pauleast I think that was sarcasm!! Although I have been to the DR several times as I noted I have not been there for several years. I did not realize asking what local prices were (how much they had gone up) would cause you such emotional distress. IMHO a little knowledge by ppl. that have recently been somewhere helps out a traveler. Last time I checked that was one of the things this site was for. Suggestion... if a question or post offends you do not read it!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Wow! Pauleast I think that was sarcasm!! Although I have been to the DR several times as I noted I have not been there for several years. I did not realize asking what local prices were (how much they had gone up) would cause you such emotional distress. IMHO a little knowledge by ppl. that have recently been somewhere helps out a traveler. Last time I checked that was one of the things this site was for. Suggestion... if a question or post offends you do not read it!

Sarcasm .. Yes, emotional distress ..No.
Amusing ,, absolutely.
Asking for the price of a beach rental chair and a rub down in Sosua ....well lets just say that Bermuda and Grand Cayman wont be in a rush to get YOU on their mailing list.
Have fun in Sosua and FYI, condoms are about 40 pesos