Where to buy quality House Paint in DR, best prices?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Hi Everyone, I will be painting my shack in the North Coast in the near future, saw some awesome colors on the Sherwin Williams website and if anyone has experience about where in the NC to buy good quality exterior paint or in the capital santo domingo...
What in your experience locally is the best brand with long lasting.... my shack is close to the ocean and don't want it peeling 6 months later...
If any of you has any ideas about the gallon price, I will probably need close to 10 gallons of paint, plus trim, can I get it with primer already in it?
Your input, advice is very welcome...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have found that using semigloss versions of the various local brands provides little difference in longevity.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have found that using semigloss versions of the various local brands provides little difference in longevity.

We painted the entire house, inside and out, with Tropical semi gloss, several years ago. No chipping or peeling, but it is fading on the outside. We did put a primer on first.

I find paint here expensive for what you get.

Our neighbor sends down 5 gallon pails of paint via mundanza, sometimes 4-5 at a time.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
First try if you really like semigloss. The little gloss it has gives a cheap look in my opinion. I always use acrylic (interior and exterior). The two best Dominican brands are Pinturas Popular and Tropical. Which are actually both of the same house.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
First try if you really like semigloss. The little gloss it has gives a cheap look in my opinion. I always use acrylic (interior and exterior). The two best Dominican brands are Pinturas Popular and Tropical. Which are actually both of the same house.

You're right, I always felt the same way about semi-gloss, but after using Tropical flat and having it dirty and faded and ugly in no time we went with the acrylic semi-gloss this time. The color depth seems to be a bit better too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You're right, I always felt the same way about semi-gloss, but after using Tropical flat and having it dirty and faded and ugly in no time we went with the acrylic semi-gloss this time. The color depth seems to be a bit better too.

Been there and done exactly the same thing. Flat paint here is of very poor quality from any vendor. That is why I mentioned semi-gloss.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I think there is another topic about house paint somewhere.. I remember I already wrote something, but here I go again:
After having problems with all kinds of normal house paint I finally started to use Tropical Plus Lumbercider for outside use. This paint is very good actually and it lasts very long, although the colors ALWAYS fade because of the sun. This paint has an anti fungus system incorporated in the paint, but still you should clean the walls very carefully before you start painting and be sure you removed all possible fungus from your walls ( with Clorox) .
The darker colors you choose - the more expensive the paint, because you pay a lot for the different colors they use by mixing it into the paint. So white is the cheapest solution and I think one gallon costs around 700 pesos.
This paint is slightly glossy, but not as much as the semi gloss. And the glossy - wet look goes away very quickly.
I have these uneven and kind of rustic walls. I always paint with a primer first and I use a roof primer - just the cheapest one from Lanco. I paint twice with this white roof paint and then twice with Lumbercider and it lasts for several years. I am surprised myself, how I finally found a good solution. I don’t remember the exact price for the primer/roof paint, but I think I paid like 3500 pesos for a “cubeta” ..
I always get very upset with the Dominican painters, because they use too much paint. They always insist on using the thickest paint rollers and they absorb almost a whole gallon of paint by the first dip. When they leave for the day they wash out the roller and they wash out almost a whole gallon of paint, just to start over again next day. You can wrap the roller in a plastic back instead and re use the roller next day and you safe a lot of paint.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
In Puerto Plata you can buy Lumbercider and Lanco roof paint at Ferreteria Bordas. They do not sell Lumbercider everywhere….

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Just renovating two units. I like Lanco paints for interior.. though the color mix was off on one that I bought from Ochoa.

Sherwin Williams - only available I believe in Santo Domingo - so says my decoradora( hope that is a real word.. LOL).

FYI. Rebuilt, cemented, primed and painted 64 balustrades. Painted with tropical latex last June....now starting to peel. I am as close to the ocean as one would want to be. Was told by someone this week that I should light muratic acid wash before painting - on a hot day...dry well then repaint.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
But do u guys just paint over the old paint???????
That is what I do but then the peeling or "bubbles" appear in the same places as before.....
Oh well, manana......

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
perhaps that the painting work well here when applied with spray gun instead of a brush or roller ??

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
But do u guys just paint over the old paint???????
That is what I do but then the peeling or "bubbles" appear in the same places as before.....
Oh well, manana......

I just painted a beam that suffered water damage from a leaking. I removed all the old paint that was elevated and then used sand paper to smoothen the surface. After that I applied 2 layers of paint. There are two spots that are brown from wood stains (the leaking water passed by the wooden ceiling and stained the beam. These are still a bit visible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have kids, dogs, and "Visitors", I use semi gloss inside because it's very easy to clean.
Just wipe wish a little soapy water.
"Flat" paint shows where you cleaned it.
If you live anywhere in the DR, you WILL HAVE, "peeling, fading paint, and those nasty "Filtraciones", (Roof Leaks)!!!
But NOT from SNOW!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have had great results by sanding the surfaces to be painted with an electric hand sander.
I have two,one for each hand!
I use medium grit sandpaper, which blends in the "Bumps" and paint lines where the old paint has peeled off!
The new paint seems to stick better.
I always use "Lanco" water resistant paints on ceilings.
Not an easy job, but this is the DR, I only have to supervise!!!
Painting is like making love to a Virgin!!!
Preparation Is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Sherwin Williams. If you can't buy it on the north coast make the trip to Santo Domingo. It is well worth it. Tropical is very inconsistent. Good luck

Aug 6, 2006
The best method for making pain last is scrape off all "dead paint" to pressure clean with water. Then use primer. You can also wash the surface down with a soap and Clorox solution to eliminate mildew, and then rinse. Paint will stick best to cement and stucco when damp.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Yes I was thinking sherwin williams all the way... I found the DR store in santo domingo, will call and check prices compared to the united states. I have a good shipper in west palm beach florida, and I just got 2 ceiling fans, and some other stuff...I was thinking about putting the 5 gallon bucket of paint in it... but knowing this jackasses at the port.. I can see the paint all over the fans and the other stuff being ruined....Don't want to spend a few hundred dollars in paint being spilled over like new wicker ceiling fans!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I had a box arrive with EVERYTHING, including the clothes, covered in "Olde Bay Seafood Seasoning"!
Somehow they managed to break open the tin can it comes it!!!!
Cats were following me for weeks!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC