looking for decent hotel./motel Puerto plata , but away from the resorts

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
will be back up north in a few weeks and have never stayed in POP...or even Sosua or Cabrete....
but fancy a few nights near the beach this time...... not interested in the resorts and all -you -can eat, drink. do, spots, but instead just a simple, clean motel, hotel, preferabley away from tourists and more with a Dominican feel... not looking to spend tons of cash ,but a near a few decent colmados and a restaurant or two would be nice.... just a place to chill and maybe sit on some sand and not be harassed so much ,,.. any ideas?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
will be back up north in a few weeks and have never stayed in POP...or even Sosua or Cabrete....
but fancy a few nights near the beach this time...... not interested in the resorts and all -you -can eat, drink. do, spots, but instead just a simple, clean motel, hotel, preferabley away from tourists and more with a Dominican feel... not looking to spend tons of cash ,but a near a few decent colmados and a restaurant or two would be nice.... just a place to chill and maybe sit on some sand and not be harassed so much ,,.. any ideas?

sounds like you need to be at Portofino...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
There is Castillo de Ambar. Turn off at Coca Cola and go to the end and turn right to the end again. 1000 pesos a night I've been told. Mostly Dominicans stay there. Nice pool.

that sounds the perfect place...when I m in POP, do you have any more details , does it have a website phone number ?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Ditto Victoriano. Center of town, easy walk to park, malec?n. Mostly Doms there, telco uses it to house attendees at their conferences. Used to be dead cheap while clean, etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The price on that link can't be right, can it? 600 pesos/night for a room with a/c?!?

the prices on that site are not up to date, it's 800 pesos a night per standard room with AC and 900 for executive (whatever that means).

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
the prices on that site are not up to date, it's 800 pesos a night per standard room with AC and 900 for executive (whatever that means).

I cant seem to make the reservation link work... but this sounds like the perfect place.thks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
reservations can be done on the phone, the number in the link is valid, i checked yesterday, which is why i know updated prices. but you need to book as soon as you can, the lady said they are full at the moment.