Safest Vehicle for DR

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have been going back and forth on buying a vehicle in DR. The reason I haven't done so yet is that I feel that the safest thing to have would be a HUGE SUV and I have been saving. Something like an Armada, Sequoia, or Infiniti QX 56. These are all gas guzzlers and extremely big but I had been feeling like I could trade that extra gas cost for the feeling of safety. That my family would more than likely survive an accident in one of them rather than a mid-size or minivan.

Am I thinking correctly? I see that the Honda Odyssey is really nice, and so are CR-Vs and Hyundai Santa Fe. But I'm wondering if I should just stick to my oirginal thinking regarding the big full-size SUVs. Are the mid-size or minivans enough to withstand a collision for people to actually get away alive? We all wear seatbelts and I'm a good driver but the mid-sizes and especially the minivans seem very low to the ground. I feel very safe when I am in something like an Armada, driving around looking down on cars.

What do you guys think?

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mid-size if you ask me... BIG SUV's here are tough to drive , narrow road & big car.

PlayaCaribe 2 is an expert.

Honda Pilot, etc.... normal size is big here.... Suburbans and Tahoes are out of place

keep thinking

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
If you don't care about gas!go a SUV large or small you'll find it useful when you take your family to the campos or rios..when I go I always rent something with 4x4,crv,montero ect.its good to have

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
This is what you need Sking if you want to feel safe.

A Mercedes Benz G550!!!!

Not only will you and your family feel safe, but you will look GOOD!!! feeling safe.

BTW If you do not want the G 550 look at the new 2013 Ford Escape they are really nice, much better then the CRV and Santa Fe IMO.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV)

I have been going back and forth on buying a vehicle in DR. The reason I haven't done so yet is that I feel that the safest thing to have would be a HUGE SUV and I have been saving. Something like an Armada, Sequoia, or Infiniti QX 56. These are all gas guzzlers and extremely big but I had been feeling like I could trade that extra gas cost for the feeling of safety. That my family would more than likely survive an accident in one of them rather than a mid-size or minivan.

What do you guys think?

SHALENA

See Link: Bradley Fighting Vehicle

bradley-fighting-vehicle-in-a2-ods-configuration.5593501_std.jpg

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

A Mercedes Benz G550!!!!

Not only will you and your family feel safe, but you will look GOOD!!! feeling safe.

BTW If you do not want the G 550 look at the new 2013 Ford Escape they are really nice, much better then the CRV and Santa Fe IMO.

Ya, I get it.....

She probably wouldn't be a target with that vehicle.....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

A Mercedes Benz G550!!!!

I like the 2013 Ford Edge a lot. If I can that's my next vehicle.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Toyota hilux 2005 model ( the nice looking one), important to fit on those metal bars that protect the fenders....
Big but not too big, 4x4 pick up. Not too expensive ( well mine wasnt ).
Good for the campo and muddy tracks, but not too akward in the city, great on open roads....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about this? space for entire family too!

[video=youtube;cDoRmT0iRic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm happy with my grand vitara. a while ago i drove friend's landruiser and cursed all the way, it's not even all that comfortable, not to mention turns, parking and fitting in the traffic. and let's face it, the size alone will not save you if you crash at high speed. especially in case of having a family inside because who the hell buckles up in the backseat?

so realistically i would pick up something medium sized. santa fe is actually good in terms of what shalena needs, so is highlander. she'd want that additional row of seats.