How catholic, sexist and racist is DR, on a scale of 1to 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Spending 6 weeks in one Latin American country has convinced me that living here long term is out of the question. The people here are all of the above mentioned in the topic title, to the extreme, for my tastes. How so with DR? I think I will make an extended side trip before heading home, to see if it warrants investigating DR as a posible home away from home. Hope the question makes sense.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The country is about 90 percent catholic, so I guess that's a 9...But actual practicing catholics? (People who actually go to church on a regular basis) is probably around 10-15%

Sexist? Well it's still somewhat of a macho dominated culture...But women are relatively free to go and do as they please.

Racist? A lot of people (specially those coming from The US) will probably disagree with me, but I don't think The DR is racist at all or at least not in the same way people in The US are racist. Classist? Yes. What I mean by that is that in The US people who don't like black people won't like them regardless whether that person is poor, rich, educated or not. In The DR if the person is well off, educated, etc the color of your skin won't matter much. Class is a lot more important determination, thus those who consider themselves upper crust rarely mingle with the "lower" classes, etc..I guess that's no different than any other country in the world.

You should know that the one thing Dominicans are not is politically correct. They do call them as they see them...You're fat? They will call you gordo(a), your skinny? They'll call you Flaco(a), You're foreigner? They'll call you Gringo(a)...and so on. This is just the way people talk and has no negative connotations per se.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My view:
Catholic 5 - they say they are believers but rarely practice what they are preached.
Sexist 9 - they just are.
Racist 5 - not at all unless you are Haitian.

May 29, 2006
Racist to Americans? Not really. Racism against Haitians is common and accepted even among many ex-pats.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Racist to Americans? Not really. Racism against Haitians is common and accepted even among many ex-pats.

...and see this is where we disagree. To me this is more classism than actual racism. If the majority of Haitians were well off and educated they would love them.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
My view:

Catholic 3
Sexist 10
Racism 0

Pakistan is MORE Catholic then DR and I mean MORE!!!!

Dominican men like Dominican women in the kitchen and on the bed and NOT in that order.

Dominican Republic is too poor of a nation to display any racism. Haiti and DR are both poor country, but one is poorer for sure, but POOR is POOR!!!

I mean you can't have a towel more dry then another one. DRY IS DRY!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The country is about 90 percent catholic, so I guess that's a 9...But actual practicing catholics? (People who actually go to church on a regular basis) is probably around 10-15%

Catholics are less than 70%.
Evangelicals are about 20%. The last group is rather new, evangelical Christianity was introduced in DR in the 60's of the former century. Most people who call themselves 'cristiano' (as opposed to 'catolico' are actually attending church regularly.

10% says not to believe in anything and then there's 2% that believes something else (Muslims, boedhists, etc).

Aug 6, 2006
A lot of Dominicans I know seem to see skin color the way American White people see hair or eye color.The girl with the lightest skin in the family tends to be called "Blanca", just like the girl with the lightest hair might get the nickname "blondie". In the US I can feel a sort of tension between Black and White people in public places: on the bus, at the movies, other places where people do not know one another. I never have felt anything like this in any part of the Dominican Republic.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've done this a million times before, and it always ends with the thread being closed over the race or religion issue - a discussion which DR1 does NOT permit in either case.

So a word to the wise - anyone else who answers regarding RACISM or CATHOLICISM in DR will have their posts deleted, at the very least.

On 2nd thought, since 2 out of 3 are out of bounds, I'm nipping this one in the bud.

Closed.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
In the US I can feel a sort of tension between Black and White people in public places: on the bus, at the movies, other places where people do not know one another. I never have felt anything like this in any part of the Dominican Republic.

Hey X, you should now by now that racial topics are not permitted in regualar forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are done here..................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.