Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Another good reason to live in RD

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/op...pgtype=article

    All our visitors comment on the flavor and freshness of food here.

    Our American friends know instantly when we serve our Canadian beef/lamb/pork to them in the US.

    This article goes a long way to explaining why.
    Actually, quite frightening.

  2. Likes pelaut liked this post
  3. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's all derived from our corn/soy based food chain. The problem is we really like cheap chicken and beef. A few folks can afford to pay $15 for an organic chicken, but in the meantime, you can get one roasted in the deli for $5..

    This guy gets a premium for his livestock and he's raising them sustainably and humanely. It's a management intensive system, but requires very little outside inputs.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCRDNxIH4I

  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    It's all derived from our corn/soy based food chain. The problem is we really like cheap chicken and beef. A few folks can afford to pay $15 for an organic chicken, but in the meantime, you can get one roasted in the deli for $5..

    This guy gets a premium for his livestock and he's raising them sustainably and humanely. It's a management intensive system, but requires very little outside inputs.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCRDNxIH4I
    I found the price of chicken 'back in the day' to be astounding - more than beef!!

    Here is my friend who raises Texas Longhorns (the 1st in Canada to do it, believe it or not).. he's the only reason I know anything about the food chain - of which he is a major critic.

    He ain't no normal plow jockey... full blown MBA who applies it to hands on agriculture.

    Home

    He claims that today's cattle are overdomesticated - a view shared by one of RD's premier cattle breeders here on the North Coast

  5. Likes bilko liked this post
  6. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Haiti and the DR lost much with the swine fever massacre back in the 80s. Those creole pigs are better tasting, can forage on their own and more disease resistant than the "princess" pigs the US gave the island. I hear there are still some creoles around in the rural areas. Most livestock programs are trying to push the DR and Haiti into the factory farm concentrated feed lot systems of the US. It's not something a campesino can get into.

  7. Likes bilko liked this post
  8. #5
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Haiti and the DR lost much with the swine fever massacre back in the 80s. Those creole pigs are better tasting, can forage on their own and more disease resistant than the "princess" pigs the US gave the island. I hear there are still some creoles around in the rural areas. Most livestock programs are trying to push the DR and Haiti into the factory farm concentrated feed lot systems of the US. It's not something a campesino can get into.
    Thank you for steering this to the DR Peter - please keep it there or it won't be open long.




    Administrator
    DR1.com

  9. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There was a post not too long ago about a guy who was making millions exporting eggs from FL to Haiti, while eggs from the DR were banned due to "Avian Flu." Someone with that kind of income prob knows what hands need to be greased...

    Haitians are lucky if they can get one egg a month.

  10. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Thank you for steering this to the DR Peter - please keep it there or it won't be open long.
    this all about the better quality of RD food/meat.....

    VERY RD, if you don't mind me saying so

    Another reason to live in the DR...Better health prospects,
    Atlantic City ain't got this !!

    What more could you ask for ??

    I started in the Off Topic and thought better of it.

    THe Chamber of Commerce endorses this thread.........

  11. Likes pelaut liked this post
  12. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    are you 'over-puppied' AE?...

    not to worry, we'll monitor ourselves :-))

  13. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The DR has been moving more and more to CFL meat/dairy production. I remember on one of my first trips to the DR the butter, chicken and bacon all had more flavor than the stuff in the US. It wasn't that much different the last time I was there except the chicken was more scrawny. Worst eggs in the US are the bulk ones you can get at Walmart nowadays. No flavor and no color..



    My mom used to get local grass raised eggs for about $3 a dozen. Very nice, but almost too much flavor. Bright deep orange yolks and the shells were often blue/green.

  14. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we just had a few farmers who could support this thread..... campesinos, where are you?

    Ringo gone off the end ?? He farms........

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •