DR's homicide rate hits lowest level in 11 years

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic homicide rate hits lowest level in 11 years

(Reuters) - The homicide rate in the Dominican Republic plunged to an 11-year low in 2013 as the government used the military to back up the National Police, bucking the trend in the Caribbean where increased drug trafficking has brought more violence.

The number of homicides fell by 12.5 percent last year to 1,975, compared with 2,258 in 2012, according to statistics supplied to Reuters by the attorney general's office.

That brought the homicide rate in the Caribbean country of 9.8 million to 20 murders per 100,000 residents, the lowest since 2002 when the rate was 14 per 100,000.

The administration of Dominican President Danilo Medina tightened security last year by calling in the military to patrol alongside the National Police.

When the troops were first sent into the streets, Medina was criticized for militarizing policing. Residents complained about the unsettling presence of machine gun-wielding soldiers walking streets and building makeshift camps in city parks.

But after witnessing a marked drop in crime, the government last month extended the order to keep soldiers in the street.

"In each operation that we carry out, we're coordinating with different departments, including intelligence and counter-narcotics offices," said National Police Colonel Jacobo Moquete. "We've been able to improve our operational capacity and we're conducting more efficient operations."

Other large islands in the Caribbean did not share the Dominican Republic's success. Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago, which perennially appear near the top of world rankings for murder rates, both saw homicides increase last year.

Better known internationally for white sand beaches and turquoise waters, the Caribbean is one of the world's most violent regions, according to the United Nations Development Programme.

General John F. Kelly, commander of U.S. Southern Command, said on Wednesday that there has been an increase in drug shipments through the Caribbean as an alternative to the Central America-Mexico route, which remains the preferred route for cocaine smuggling.

"We've seen now is an increase in the flow up the West Indies onward to two locations, one being the Dominican Republic," he said in a briefing at the Pentagon.

The Dominican Republic has been called the principal transshipment point in the Caribbean. Dominican officials agree that international criminal organizations are increasingly using the country as a point to move drugs to Puerto Rico, the mainland United States and Europe.

Criminal organizations, largely led by Mexican drug cartels, last year used the Caribbean to smuggle some 14 percent of the cocaine that was brought into the United States, double the percentage from a year earlier, according to estimates from the U.S. government.

Kelly said despite the increase in smuggling through the Caribbean, he has limited ability to stop it due to a lack of funding and Naval ships.

"I can see the flow. I just don't have the end-game assets to stop it," he said.

Outside of the Dominican Republic, the increase in drug smuggling has resulted in more crime.

In Jamaica, where murder had been on the decline, homicides increased by 9 percent from 2012-2013, according to the Ministry of National Security. The country recorded 1,197 murders, or roughly 43 per 100,000.

Trinidad & Tobago, where murders had also been falling after peaking in 2008, killings increased 12 percent, for a homicide rate of around 30 per 100,000, according to statistics from the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.

(Editing by David Adams and Leslie Adler)

Dominican Republic homicide rate hits lowest level in 11 years | Reuters

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It must be that the soldiers are doing more than what I have seen in Sosua. The ones I have seen are standing in the shade talking to each other or to, I assume, friends. Often the barrel of a rifle is pointed down, pressed against the concrete.

I'd be interested to know what they are supposed to be doing, do they have an assignment or are they just dropped off on a corner and told they would be picked up at X hour?

In any case, the areas where I have seen the soldiers in Sosua are not where murders are likely to take place.

But then, I don't see much evidence of national police patrols either.

It must be there is more going on than in Sosua.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Last Saturday we drove to Santiago to shop. The Military had a road block on the road to Jarabacoa, but they were only stopping cars going to Jarabacoa. When we turned to go on the autopisto to Santiago they had another one, this time we were stopped. Opened the window so they could look in the back, thank you have a nice day. I assume they were looking for particular objects but the stop was short and no problem. Just the presence of the military with guns helps deter certain criminal acts just like you automatically slow down when you see highway patrol cars parked. National police go through the barrios here night and day, and during Carnival there were plenty of them around with their beater batons.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
It must be that the soldiers are doing more than what I have seen in Sosua. The ones I have seen are standing in the shade talking to each other or to, I assume, friends. Often the barrel of a rifle is pointed down, pressed against the concrete.

I'd be interested to know what they are supposed to be doing, do they have an assignment or are they just dropped off on a corner and told they would be picked up at X hour?

In any case, the areas where I have seen the soldiers in Sosua are not where murders are likely to take place.

But then, I don't see much evidence of national police patrols either.

It must be there is more going on than in Sosua.

Might that be the reason the murder rate is down, cops are not trigger happy anymore?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
It did not cut and paste well, and I did not try to decipher what these stats exactly represent, but the monthly variance looks bizarre.

Does anyone think the murder rate has gone down, I call bulls$it.

PGR - Estadisticas - Homicidios
Title Visits Comments Favorites
Homicide Report September 2013 73 0 0
Homicide Report August 2013 18 0 0
Homicide Report July 2013 91 0 0
Killings June 2013 Report 31 0 0
Killings May 2013 Report 121 0 0
Homicide Report April 2013 85 0 0
March 2013 homicide report 167 0 0
Killings in February 2013 Report 68 0 0
Homicide Report January 2013 151 0 0
Killings December 2012 Report 282 0 0
Violent deaths (Homicide, Suicide and Acccidentes Transit) 2005-2012 437 0 0
Homicide Report November 2012 75 0 0
Homicide Report October 2012 44 0 0
Homicide Report September 2012 63 0 0
Homicide Report August 2012 148 0 0
Homicide Report July 2012 75 0 0
Homicide Report June 2012 40 0 0
Homicide Report May 2012 101 0 0
Homicide Report April 2012 90 0 0
Homicides by types of weapons and other variables 2011 - 2012 (January to March) 144 0 0
Homicide Report March 2012 84 0 0
Homicide Report February 2012 77 0 0
Homicide Report January 2012 160 0 0
Summary January-December 2011 1050 0 0

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
actually this tells you nothing, this is just headlines (murder report for month whatever) and the numbers following are: visits (to that particular page), comment and favourites. you need to click on each link to see details of each month. so for the last available month of september the data is here: PGR - Estadisticas - Homicidios and says 155 murders according to PN and 157 according to INACIF. i wonder why the data differs.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
actually this tells you nothing, this is just headlines (murder report for month whatever) and the numbers following are: visits (to that particular page), comment and favourites. you need to click on each link to see details of each month. so for the last available month of september the data is here: PGR - Estadisticas - Homicidios and says 155 murders according to PN and 157 according to INACIF. i wonder why the data differs.

Whats two lives? M?s o menos

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Spreading BS

Dominican Republic homicide rate hits lowest level in 11 years

BS_Detector.gif

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Make That,..."Reported Homicide Rates"!!!!!!!

If "dv" can still find it, there was a piece in "Diario Libre" about 3 days ago stating that there were 12 homicides in 24 hours!!!!
It's hard to get the real #s from Orlando Florida, Right "PEE MAN"??????

A distant family member was killed in SD last week and robbed of his "Motor".
I saw nothing in SD's newspapers!

My nephew drives a small bus for a company taking employees back & forth to work.
Last week a guy jumped up on the window, stuck a pistol in his face and took his cell phone and the 100 pesos in his pocket.
The thief said, "I should kill you for only having 100 pesos"!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC