Jarabacoa/Constanza

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Wanting to take a ,little break up in the hills for a few days (once this rain has gone!)
Can anyone who has good experience advise me whether Jarabacoa or Constanza is the more interesting.

Any (cheapish) hotel recommendations and things not to miss would be great. I hear the Gran Jimenoa outside Jarabacoa is a once hotel…true?

Thanks in advance

Aug 6, 2006
From the Rough Guide to the DR: Constanza: Hotel Dilania, half a block behind the Banco Popular, Hotel Valle Nuevo, Mi Casa, Sanchez y Luperon.

Jarabacoa: Brisas del Yaque I, Brisas del Yaque II, Guesthouse Jarabacoa, Hotel Plaza Central, Mi Vista.

There are surely many, many more, some of which will be cheaper. You could google these or look on a Google map of Jarabacoa and find out a lot more.

I have not been to either Constanza or Jarabacoa, but eventually plan to go there.
Feliz viaje.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Ok thanks for the research…but am more interested in hearing from people who have actually been there.

Ps i am looking for cheapish but not too cheap…there is a lady involved :)

Aug 6, 2006
As a rule, someone will pop in and tell me what a great deal or total ripoff one of the places I listed is, and where there are better places. I listed these to get a conversation started. The more a place costs, the more likely it will advertise, have a website, and be marketed to rich tourists. There are acceptable places to stay, I have found, that do not even have telephones listed. Most places, other than the very expensive, and "chica friendly"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We spent a long weekend in Jarabacoa, stayed at the Gran Jimenoa, wasn't outrageously expensive, was lovely. Nice buffet breakfast included. Be sure to take your lady to lunch at the Aroma de la Montana restaurant up in the Jamaca de Dios.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Alterego has given you the best advice. Constanza is a beautiful valley with a nice waterfall to visit (rough road) and access to the higher parts of the DR. there are several places to stay that are both reasonable in price and facilities. Jarabacoa has a larger population, with more shopping and other facilities and is slightly more geared for visitors. There are several river resorts that are nice but a little expensive. Since you are taking a lady, the Grand Jimenoa is a better place. It is a romantic setting ( my opinion), clean with a nice pool, and good restaurant.
What would you be interested in doing? There's a nice little 9 hole golf course, several easy access waterfalls....etc.
River Rafting - Canyoning - Pico Duarte Tours and the Papillon Garden with Butterfly Exhibition at Rancho Baiguate Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic!
Rancho Baiguate is a first class outdoor adventure outfit and they have decent lodging and food, great people that run the place. Note that the link also gives you another link to lodging in Constanza. If you have three or four days do both communities, it's a nice short drive between the two.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Pinar Dorado, nice close to center of town, nice clean pool area.

Next in line and priced higher would be Gran Jimenoa. I little further from the center of town but nicer than Pinar Dorado.

Now much further from the center of town is Jarabacoa River Club and the nicest of the three, but let's just say not cheap.

Either Rancho Baiguate or Rancho Jarabacoa for daytime fun.

You can google for the web links and maps.google is also very helpful.

A little advice, if you are not used to riding a horse and do the waterfall ride bring a hotel towel with you for some extra padding. Their is this little thing they call saddle burn you don't want to end up with.

Jarabacoa is really nice for a weekend getaway. Caribe Tours has four buses a day leaving from Santo Domingo. The ride is just over two hours. Taxis are cheap enough in Jarabacoa you really don't need a car.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
really BB? that busy??
I didn't think anything actually needed reserving in this country :)

It is not that they are that busy but maybe the safari truck leaves at 10 in the morning and you arrive at 10:30. I learned my lesson as I just showed up once at Rancho Jarabocoa to go horse back riding. Since I didn't call in advance they had to go fetch the horses, saddle them up, etc. I ended up waiting around for an hour and a half.

Same thing if you want to do the ATV, call in advance and they will reserve the vehicles for you.

Also forgot to mention I think the pool area at Pinar Dorado is much, much nicer than Gran Jimenoa. But a river view room at Gran Jimenoa is really nice.

I was very pleased with all three hotels. Each one has something special to offer.

You can walk to town from Pinar Dorado but no way from Gran Jimenoa. Not like there is really that much to do in town but you will definetly want to go.

save you some searching, here are the links

Hotel Gran Jimenoa

Hotel Pinar Dorado ///// Tu Tradicion por Naturaleza

Jarabacoa River Club - Hotel Jarabacoa Rep?blica Dominicana

River Rafting - Canyoning - Pico Duarte Tours and the Papillon Garden with Butterfly Exhibition at Rancho Baiguate Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic!

Home - Rancho Jarabacoa - Turismo de Monta?a. Jarabacoa, Rep?blica Dominicana.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've been to both places. both are kinda boring unless you are into nature stuff. that part is stunning. if i was pressed i'd choose constanza because it's more rural, quiet and it smells of garlic and onion ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i've been to both places. both are kinda boring unless you are into nature stuff. that part is stunning. if i was pressed i'd choose constanza because it's more rural, quiet and it smells of garlic and onion ;)

The difference is in Jarabacoa you can find quiet and rural in many different directions usually still on decent roads. The inner part of Jarabacoa, like where I live, is anything but quiet.