Flights from Minneapolis

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I am looking for flights for my family to come down and visit in June. They are coming from Minneapolis. I consider myself pretty flight savvy when it comes to shopping, I fly for work constantly. Round trip to either STI or POP from Minneapolis is still almost $700, even in June. When I search from Denver or Chicago, it is significantly cheaper, around $550. I just don't get it.

Any other midwesterners out there find decent rates to the North Coast? Any cheaper days or the week, or carriers?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just checked St Cloud and Duluth, regional airports, and even they were cheaper than Minneapolis. Now that really doesn't make sense.

I will check Spirit. My parents are flying, not sure if they will be up for an 02:30 arrival, but we will see.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
If you love your parents, don't have them travel on Spirit. Besides the inhuman schedules, Spirit will nickel and dime you to death for luggage, meals, printed boarding passes etc. What appears to be a very cheap alternative often becomes worse service for a similar price. It seems unrealistic anyone could make a trip from Minnesota to the Caribbean with little or no luggage. Spirit is the closest thing in the air to OMSA or Greyhound. Don't do it to them, think of how much they sacrificed for you. This is no way to pay them back.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think Delta through Atlanta or United through Denver or Houston will be your better options.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unfortunately like me (Detroit) they live in a place that has been taken over by Delta (The worst airline by far IMO), Since they're about your only alternative and they know it they will hike up those prices beyond belief.

If I was you I wouldn't buy just yet as this far out the prices will be higher as well. Wait until you get a bit closer to the date (about a month and half). This will also give you more time to look. Try Skyscanner to see what US city has the cheapest flights to The DR and then try to find a flight from MSP to that city. It is a bit more hassle as they may have to check in twice, but if may be worth it if you end up saving a good chunk of cash. I agree with the comment of avoiding Spirit is possible. The only way I fly them is if the difference in price is at least 150 USD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From DTW, you might even consider driving to Toronto.
Use the Park'nFly option that has a week or so free parking at the hotel.

YYZ is just 2 hrs from the bridge - even a bit less.

Just a thought but doesn't help the Minnesota travel

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Try flying to the nearest JEt Blue hub and checking the flights from there. Philly, perhaps?

Spirit is the worst.

Philly is not a hub. No direct flights on Jet Blue from Philly (goes to Boston first) You would have to go out of JFK or possibly Newark, NJ. If you want good flying times you will probably have to pay the price. Minn. is a haul to the DR.

LTSteve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thanks, LT Steve, I was so entranced by the Jet Blue terminal in Philly once that I almost missed my connection so I figured it was a hub. But you are right. Closest connection would be from Chicago to Santiago RT at $550.

Apr 10, 2006
I've been watching for months from MSP to STI (or SDQ). It hasn't moved up or down. Even the flights to SDQ are more expensive than I usually see in the summer months.

I finally bought for late May at $344 one way. Around $700 RT w/ Delta... the only upside to that flight is that it arrives "quickly". Last year from MSP to STI, we had a 8 or 9 hour layover in MIA which is not fun with 3 little kids and a complaining husband.

There really is no alternative... unless you want to drive to Chicago... but would waste a day/night driving to save approx. $150 per ticket.

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
Going home from POP to YYC I have flown Jet Blue from POP to JFK and Delta from JFK to MSP. It is pretty cheap if you are booking in advance, and the layover in JFK is only 90 min or so.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think you can use American via Miami from Detroit.

Unfortunately like me (Detroit) they live in a place that has been taken over by Delta (The worst airline by far IMO), Since they're about your only alternative and they know it they will hike up those prices beyond belief.

If I was you I wouldn't buy just yet as this far out the prices will be higher as well. Wait until you get a bit closer to the date (about a month and half). This will also give you more time to look. Try Skyscanner to see what US city has the cheapest flights to The DR and then try to find a flight from MSP to that city. It is a bit more hassle as they may have to check in twice, but if may be worth it if you end up saving a good chunk of cash. I agree with the comment of avoiding Spirit is possible. The only way I fly them is if the difference in price is at least 150 USD.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
With airline consolidation there are fewer routes to Hispaniola these days. I hope SWA keeps its mitts off the MDW-PUJ route for a couple more years.